Cleaning Aluminium Engine Parts/head

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Dave UK, Jan 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave UK

Dave UK New Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Surrey UK
    I’m about to start work resurrecting a 1970 TR6P (not to police spec) and was wondering what you all used to clean the engine metal?
    Would ultrasonic cleaning be good enough, or should I be looking at soda blasting, or vapour blasting
    (I would prefer not to use grit blasting as I dont want any stray grit remaining where it shouldn’t be when I rebuild the engine....I know it happens).

Also, anyone with a swing arm, rear subframe, or seat for a 1970 TR6 or T120 for sale, please contact me.

thanks

Dave

• Like Like x 3
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’d have thought that vapour blasting would be your best bet.
    Have you got any pics of what it’s like now?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I'm sure @darkman will be along shortly with some great well tested advice. :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dave UK

Dave UK New Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Surrey UK
    No pictures yet as the project hasn’t started yet.... it’s sitting in a friends garage while my garage is being rebuilt.....but it’s dirty, and old....so will need something as it is a neglected bike.

• Like Like x 2
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    As said above, vapour blasting or you can can use glass beads on their own and do it yourself with a hand held blast gun. Always clean and blowout the oil passages using petrol and a bottle brush :)

• Like Like x 5
  6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi, Dave, and welcome to the forum!

There's a terrific shop called RestoCycles in my hometown of Tucson, AZ. RestoCycles specializes in vapor (vapour) blasting. I've not had it done to any of my parts but have seen a lot of their work and it's beautiful. I don't really know anything about the other options but based on what I've seen from Resto, that's what I'd do.

https://www.restocycle.com

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1