Classic To Adventure - Anyone Made The Change?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by learningtofly, Jul 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else
    Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    Go with the XRt and keep the Thruxton!
    I did 35000 miles on my 800 XRx and now close to 8500 on the 900 GT Pro. There's bugger all difference between the brakes as far as I can tell. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Ok the speed twin is a very capable machine. As @andyc1 says I took mine to one of the forum GMU’s and had no problems with the bike. But for touring the tiger is the better bike IMO. In terms of the 800 vs the 900 tiger the 900 will provide power more inline with what you are getting from your Thruxton r. However from a touring point of view the 800 is more than capable, so the power difference is not so important. At the end of the day it comes down to what do you want from your bikes. I would keep the Thruxton r as your go to fun bike and the 800 as a second bike for touring, assuming that you can manage the reduce power.

• Like Like x 2
  3. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    Test ride the 900 and 800 back to back over the same varied route for at least an hour if you can to see if you think the 900 is worth the extra over the 800 or if you'd rather have the 800 and keep the ttr as well. I did this in 2015 when I got it whittled down to 2 bikes and it made the decision quite easy in the end.

• Like Like x 2
  4. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Well sadly the XRt was sold yesterday afternoon. There's a VERY low mileage XRx but by the time I've spec'd it up it's too expensive, and it's only a grand off new to begin with. I can't find any other suitable 800's on the used market (the other 800 models are too tall for me), so unless I'm prepared to hang around hoping that something will come up it looks like it'll have to be new.

I'll see how I get on with the two test rides on Saturday, and will then see if I can apply a bit of man maths to retain the option of having two bikes :)

• Like Like x 4
  5. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    I have done one 300mile run on my Speed Twin when dry & sunny, little wind but cold. My chest was frozen. Add rain and blustery winds and it would be miserable. You just tour slower and slower on smaller and smaller roads. My CT canters any conditions, road and speed with ease, 1-up, 2-up with full luggage, whatever.

I would be trying to keep the Thruxton (character, looks, feel, fun) and going for a 2nd hand ADV / ST type bike of which there is mucho choice. ADV bikes are a tool. A less boring touring bike, ie RT/FJR/Pan etc.

Thats my 2-bob.

But keep the Thruxton.:D

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Yeah, I think the TTR has to stay. Just went to look at it - it's a thing of beauty.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Well, the dealer that had and sold the Tiger 800 XRt contacted me yesterday to tell me that they've just taken another almost identical one in... 2018, FSH, just 2166 miles on the clock and priced at £8200. I've seen a video of it pre-valet, inspection and tart-up and it looks like it's spot on, but it's at a Lings dealership down in Essex. I would have gone down there straight away, but this morning I'm testing the 900 GT Pro for a couple of hours (which is the equivalent spec in the new 900 range) to see how it feels in terms of size and ergos. If I like it I'll have a decision to make but, all things being equal, the XTr sounds like the sensible option. In fact, that saving would pay for a mini-garage or heavy duty shed at the end of the garden!

Oh, and I did have a test ride on a Multistrada booked for this afternoon, but it's going to be pissing down by lunchtime so that one will have to wait. If I really, really like the Tiger it probably won't happen, as I really do think that the lighter, smaller bike is better suited.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Markus

Markus Noble Member
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    The Multistrada ist an interesting bike with some existential disadvantages:
    - heavier than the Tiger 900
    - cost intensive due to the bigger engine (tax, insurance,...)
    - needs lot of petrol (+7l per 100 km!!!)

My Tiger 1200 is not so cost intensive in comparison. The Tiger 900 of my wife is even cheaper!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #49 learningtofly, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Well, I did get to see/sit on/get a feel for the Multistrada...

[​IMG]

But..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Sooooooo...is the test ride of the 800 still on then or have you fallen in luuurveeee?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Yeah, I'm not so minted that I can walk away from a £5k saving. Will speak to them later today.

The annoying thing is that my dealership took in an XRt with 5k on the clock a couple of days ago, cleaned it up, and then sold it to the first person who saw it. It didn't even make the website.

£7.5k!!! :sob:

12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Pity your dealer didn’t think to give you a call

13. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    They didn't know I was torn between the two options, but I realise now I should have been open with them sooner (they know now)!

• Like Like x 1
  14. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    I'm sure a low milage 800 will turn up soon enough if you're prepared to wait. The new reg comes out next month too so there's bound to be a bit of a spike in sales of new bikes so dealers will have fresh used stock in September. If you're not in any mad rush sales will slow down come October with showrooms being very quiet in November and the new year so dealers will be keen to get rid of their used stock rather than have them on the showroom floor so you'll be able to strike a hard bargain as you'll have no trade in.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I’m a 29 inseam and went from Street Twin to Scrambler 1200 XC with low seat. I find it excellent on motorways, a blast on the twisties takes plenty enough tail bags. It’s got the classic looks. I dont find the lack of screen an issue, actually quieter than a screened bike, ride one

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #56 learningtofly, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Blimey - 29” and you’re riding a 1200 XC? What’s the seat height with the low seat fitted, and is it still comfortable for long rides?

17. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Low seat takes 25mm off height, same seat base less foam, I find it comfy, just come back from an 800 mile Wales trip and fine, I tend to take a coffee break every 90 mins or so. I’ve done 8000 miles in 18 months. I could gain another 30mm by fitting Tec softer springs but alas I’m a fat bastard so would screw the rider sag. I was tempted to get a 900 GT Pro, but it just doesn’t make my bits tingle when I look at it like the Classics do. That said you can’t deny the Tiger is a better tourer

18. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thank you - that's interesting actually. I get you regarding the tingle, which is why I'm going to hang on to the TTR; the Tiger doesn't do it in the looks department for me either.

19. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    #60 Wessa, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    If anybody else is looking at a tiger and is worried about the seat height. I have the low seat and a lowering kit on my tiger sport and this has taken 45mm reducing the seat height to circa 790mm. That is 25mm on the lowering kit and 20mm on the low seat.
    For me comfort or handling have not been compromised. The only real impact is that the bike is a little harder to get up onto the centre stand, but it does not make it unachievable.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1