Classic Project

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Sceptic Al, Aug 15, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Well at last I've got the old girl turning and burning. For those youngsters who don't know how a real bike works there is a list of decodes to the technical terms at the end of the post.:D

After a fair bit of head scratching, 'tinterweb' searching and rummaging about in my old grey matter. I solved the problem on the ignition side. I've got the timing set bang on, same with the points. Put some new pick up brushes and a new earth brush in the magneto and gave her a couple of spins with the plugs out, by eck!!!, the the magneto is sending some sparks to the plugs..:). So, I got some new plug caps and plugs. Bunged some petrol in the tank and some oil in the oil tank. Set the choke, tickled the carb and gave her a couple of kicks and .......... BRUM BRUM.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D. Loads of smoke from the pipes that quickly cleared, but after 20+ years what else could you expect, (at least no birds nests came flying out of the exhausts). Pressed the kill button, took out the plugs, holy socks!!!!, black as the old coal hole.:confused:
    Cleaned them up, bunged them back in. No choke this time, two kicks and away we go again. Rough as a badgers bum so start to tweek the carb to settle everything down. Still rough but not as much crepe' coming out the back end, left hand side clean(ish), right hand side still 'cloudy' but not half as bad as before. A quick check of the plug leads and low and behold, a faulty plug lead, (intermittent break in continuity through the lead), so new plug leads from my friendly Norton spares chap. Sort them out tomorrow and give her another run up.
    The carb really needs a strip down, good clean and rebuild with a service kit and tuning. Then its sort out the clutch, (heavy as a Yorkshire pudding), brakes and, rewire the electrics. So hopefully come Spring 2017 she'll be burbling about the Lake District, but, only on dry days.:D

Contact breaker that sends power to the plugs at the right time, (when the piston is at the correct position in the cylinder to get the fuel/air mixture to ignite.
    Timing:
    For the engine to operate correctly the spark, from the spark plug must occur at the right time when the piston is in the right position, in this case 8 degrees before the piston is at top dead center for start up.
    Carb or Carburator:
    A thing bolted to the inlet port that mixes fuel from the fuel tank with air to form an aerosol mixture that is sucked in to the engine to make it go brum.
    Choke:
    A lever to reduce the air flow in the 'carb' and so enrich the fuel/air mix (more fuel than air) for cold starts.
    Kick Starter:
    A big foot operated lever that turns the engine over to start it. Can also give the rider a nasty shock when it literally kicks back if you don't do it right.
    Magneto:
    A thing that spins a magnetised bar in a coil to generate electricity, in this case to power the spark plugs.
    Tuning:
    Setting up 'carb' to get the best fuel/air mix.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Sceptic Al

DD I'm not sure about that, couple of weeks back one of my neighbours son who has had quite a few bikes asked me 'where's the starter button'.
    So that's what that extra foot rest on the right hand side is the gear lever, well that's answered that one, next?:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sceptic Al

Yer not wrong there chap

• Like Like x 2
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Beautiful bike!
    Looking at the pics brings many happy memories of two Dominators I had in the 70s
    One a 99SS 600c twin carb slimline featherbed, total rebuild and sold for £600 to buy my first house.
    No. 2 was an 88 500cc single carb wideline featherbed
    Many happy hours spent working on and riding them, must admit though always found my clutch hand was knackered after about 100 miles.
    The pressed steel primary case oil leak was impossible to seal with the one central bolt which also held the riders footrest along with the biggest rubber band in the world as a seal.
    Tip 1 don't have the primary chain too tight, mine broke at about 60mph, fortunately not too much damage.
    Tip 2 be very careful with the front wheel spindle pinch bolts, the aluminium lug breaks off the fork leg.
    Tip 3 the swinging arm bushes are the same as a Land Rover steering bush if you have to ever replace them

Have fun with that marvel of British motorcycle engineering.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Good designers will use standard bearings and bushes and give them their own unique part no.
    This can frighten people into only ordering the OEM part.
    As you say, remove the part, quote the number on the part to any good bearing stockist and the price difference will seem ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Measure inner diameter, outer diameter, and thickness, ie 6x13x5 put into ebay and get them cheap as chips, even genuine skf bearings.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Yep, proper subjects, woodwork, metalwork, automotive skills, engineering.

None of that poncy English resistant materials, graphic communication.

Load of bollox:D

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

N
    Not taught in England for 10 years, but believe the're still teaching resistant materials and now called graphic products!!!
    Mickey mouse / blue Peter technology so tech teachers in England don't get their white shirts dirty!!!!! :D

9. Sceptic Al

Well Mick, glad you like my baby and thanks for the tips.
    Lucky for me there's an old chap not too far away who has an Atlas and an Interpol, both of which get used on the two or three dry days we get up here on the Northwest Frontier so I'll probably be joining him for a run out or three next year.

There's plenty of 'modern' stuff around like Red Hermitite, and Hylomar to help with joints, (have always used either/or and never had a problem up to now.

Now that 'Miss Whiplash' sparks up and the snag with the RHS cylinder is sorted it's a pleasure to hear her burble away. I know what you mean about the clutch, mine is as heavy as a Yorkshire Pud and as stiff as a stiff thing but that's probably to do with not being used for 'kin years. Still there's plenty to keep me out of Mrs Al's way

• Like Like x 1
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Good luck with the chain case sealing, not a big problem really for a biker, it's just when you park on someone's brand new block paved drive and leave 1/2 pint of oil behind.

The clutch may be a little stiff through lack of use but mainly it's caused from memory by the actuating mechanism and strong clutch springs. You'll Have a left wrist and forearm like Arnold Swarzhnegger after a few rides.

11. Sceptic Al

Sorting the clutch is next on the list after servicing the carb. Since I pored a load of oil down the clutch cable it has loosened up a wee bit, plus it's just about at the end of the adjustment range, (must be stretched to buggery and back having been left under tension for 'kin years).
    The primary chain case seals can be made from some storm sealing stuff from Screwfix or so I'm told by the old chap up the road with the Atlas, apparently it's the 'bogs dollocks' and much better than the seals the various part suppliers can come up with, and, more importantly cheaperf so being almost a Yorkie and being near Scotland I'll give it a go.

12. Sceptic Al

You forgot to include, frugality, cheapskateness, and tight fistedness in your list of Scotish education:D

13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Bloody hell Septic, put a new cable on you tight bugger.
    Ive been known to cut a currant in half but sometimes you've got to spend thirty bob.
    "Don't spoil boat for ha'perth of tar"

14. Sceptic Al

Spoilin't boat never crossed my mind Mick, a new cable is on the 'to do' list along with loads of other stuff.
    My respect for great examples British engineering goes way. I served a real apprenticeship, (getting stiffed for 'long stands, etc) in real engineering using real inches and feet, (none of this metric stuff), oh, and Noah worked in our carpenters shop. Scrimping on detail was never in the plan when I got Miss Whiplash. I oiled the cable because the fekkin' lever would hardly budge when I got the bike. Once the carbs fettled, sorting the clutch is next on the list.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I remember we sent a young apprentice up to the bakery for a Bilberry Placenta and a venereal slice

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sceptic Al

Well I now know why the clutch on my Dommi was heavy. All the feckin' plates were stuck together.
    Took off the primary chain case, the adjuster screw was screwed in way too far and the clutch springs were too set too tight. Took out the springs and removed the pressure plate. Oh, bugger, all the friction and drive plates were glued together, the whole feckin' lot came out in one lump. Luckily some gentle persuasion with a screw driver parted all the pieces.
    So, after filing off the burrs from the outer teeth, wiping the drive plates with steel wool and meth's and giving the cage a good clean out it all got re-built, re-set and adjusted.
    Now it moves as smooth as silk, and, best of all no "CLUNK" when engaging the gears.
    New clutch plates added to the 'must-do' list

• Like Like x 5
  17. Sceptic Al

After a struggle to get the carb tuned on 'Miss Whiplash', I contacted Amal Tech Department for the baseline set up spec. So a day spent stripping, cleaning and inspecting the carb has found a basic fault, a worn main jet needle. Instead of a nice sharp pin-point tip it's as round as a babies head.
    I now wait for a service kit of bits from Fecked in Dorset, who by the carry a good line in replacement bits for antique Trumpets too so any of you blokes fettling a 'Golden Oldie' the link is below and also in the Dealer/Workshop forum.

www.feked.com

18. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Sounds like somebody has "fine-tuned" the shape on the needle.
    Can't have worn like that with 182 miles on the clock

19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Need to tell you this MOT tale about the Dominator.
    I had just done a total rebuild on the 99SS and had re-fitted the centre stand which had a badly ground peg from cornering. (Should have welded a new peg on really)
    The MOT guy started by admiring the bike and then commenced to pull it on its centre stand whilst wearing his best school pumps.
    As the stand locked over I heard a scream and a look of agony on the guys face.
    The ground down peg had pierced the sole of his pump and pinned his foot to the floor.
    I quickly jumped to his rescue and leant the bike over releasing his foot.
    Pump and smelly sock off nursing his bleeding foot he says "I've a good mind to fail the f***ing thing"
    I replied barely able to keep my face straight "yeah, there's a bit of a knack to that"
    MOT passed I rode all the way home pissing myself laughing.
    Still laughing now as I am typing this 33 years on.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Sceptic Al

Your probably right there. The needle may or may not be from the original carb and was higher up than the baseline set up (Slot 3) so it would have run rich and may have been chattering about in the jet as the first inch or so up has wear marks instead of a nice smooth finish. Still new bits on order and having the baseline spec it will be set up as per.