Check Before Starting

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Carl Williams, Apr 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Carl Williams

Carl Williams Oooh, something shiny

Mar 25, 2019
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    OK, I got my bike a couple of weeks ago, it came with Rizoma Flat Bars. I've also got the original bars so I thought I'd spend a little time this morning removing the flat bars and putting the standard bars back on. All going well until I got to the last screw to loosen the throttle and I discovered whoever had fitted the flat bars had completed ruined the head of the screw!

So now I'm left with a bike with pretty much everything that supposed to be attached the the handlebars haging off and I have to wait for delivery of a set of screw extractors to finish the job, why oh why didn't I check first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    That is something i would do, not round off screw but not check.
    Every single time i go to remove the rear wheel i get it up on the abba stand then realise i need to losen the axle nut with the bike on the ground first. Does my head in!

Where abouts in Devon are you?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    have you got a Drimmel wit her the small round cutting disks, you can cut a slot in it and. use flat screwdriver to undo it.
    Will it not slide off with one screw out or has it got a locating pin into bars, mine has been removed if they were fitted with them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That blows for sure :triumph:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Carl Williams

Mar 25, 2019
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Hopefully the screw extractors will turn up tomorrow so I can finish the job and get out on the bike this weekend.

I'm in the Exwick area of Exeter, what part of Exeter are you in Clarkey?

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Bad luck mate. Not sure many would have checked the screws before starting, so don't beat yourself up to much....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Countess weir mate. Although away for a couple of weeks fromFriday for work.

9. Carl Williams

Mar 25, 2019
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Sorted out the bars yesterday and managed a ride this morning, damn it feels better with the original handlebars on. Just need to sort out what I'm going to do with the flat bars now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Colin Drayton

Colin Drayton New Member

Oct 20, 2018
    England
    Hi, in what way does the bike ride different now you've got the standard one back on. I was considering putting some flat bars on mine to give it the cafe racer look. If you wanted to sell em I might be interested.

11. Carl Williams

Mar 25, 2019
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    I've never been a fan of low bars and putting the originals back on has made the bike more comfortable, it's only a inch or so but it makes all the difference as far as I'm concerned. I just feel more relaxed on the bike and that has obviously had an effect on how I feel riding.

Not sure what the bars are worth so if you want them make me an offer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Colin Drayton

Colin Drayton New Member

Oct 20, 2018
    England
    Hi mate, it's into the unknown with the flat bar set up. Mine rides perfect with the original bars but I do like the look with flat bars. I'd give you £10 plus postage. Like you I might not even like them once there fitted. It's worth a try though if there cheap enough.

13. Colin Drayton

Colin Drayton New Member

Oct 20, 2018
    England

14. Colin Drayton

Colin Drayton New Member

Oct 20, 2018
    England
    Hi mate, did you get rid of those flat bars?

15. Colin Drayton

Colin Drayton New Member

Oct 20, 2018
    England
    Hi mate did you get rid of those flat bars