Changing Seat On 2019 Street Cup

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by Richard Howell, Mar 11, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Howell

Richard Howell New Member

May 11, 2017
    Sunbury on Thames
    Hi. Have a Triumph Street Cup 2019, looking to change the seat for a bench seat if that is possible. Anybody done it and give advice on where I can get a seat from please?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Hi Richard and welcome :cool:

A few of us on here have done exactly that. I don’t own my 2017 SC anymore sadly but I fitted a standard genuine Triumph Street Twin bench seat and grab rail so it was more comfortable for my Mrs.

Please note that you cannot fit the standard SC seat back on with the grab rail in place.

Cheers

Geoff

PXL_20210523_123216774_Original.jpeg

3. Richard Howell

Richard Howell New Member

May 11, 2017
    Sunbury on Thames
    Hi Geoff

Thanks for the reply. Having now checked the bike a bit closer it is now obvious the previous owner did a tail tidy and the rear light is too high for me to fit a bench seat. Will either have to refit a standard mud guard or find another tail tidy that is low enough to accommodate the seat. Message Tec Bike Parts to see if theirs works. Will update when I get a solution.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    I installed the Street Twin seat also. It felt confining with a little less rearward room than the Cup seat so I reshaped the foam to sit back further. I also took some slope out of the passenger seat so they won't slide foreward as easily under hard braking. My Chinese grab rail doesn't interfere with the Cup seat but they do look silly together.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Obijohnkenobe

Obijohnkenobe Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Tonbridge, Kent, UK
    Me too. Mine has the Triumph tail tidy. Pic from back showing light position.

20220821_160659.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Sorry to belated reply to your question, you've had good advice from others already. But to throw in what I've learned since buying my Street Cup which is that the T100 and Street Cup share pretty much the same frame, so if the seat of your choice fits a 2016 on T100, it should fit your Street Cup.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #7 RevPaul, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Actually if you remove the rear two rubber bushes on the underside of the seat, you can fit the standard SC seat with a grab rail (assuming that it can get past the grabrail of choice).

IMG_1900.jpg

I've fitted the T100 rear mudguard, taillight and indicators and the Triumph's accessory modular grab rail and rack kit (A9758301), so that I can fit a rack when I need it and remove it to keep the cleaner looks when I don't.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride:).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    Mine is a Chinese copy of that T100 grab rail and it doesn't fit over the Street Cup/Twin taillight. I had to bend the rear up to clear it because it's made specifically for the T100. Geoff's is the one made for the Street Twin but it doesn't have the threaded holes I needed for mounting the back rest.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    I'm sorry, I probably misunderstood the point you were making. You're right that the T100 grab rail wont fit over the standard Street Cup / Twin taillight.

So to clarify what I was trying to say.

According to my research, the SC was supposed to be a "café raced" T100 (like the Truxton is to the T120), but Triumph then lined it's design up with the Street Twin and Street Scrambler That's why the SC has the double clocks from the T100.

The Street Twin and T100 bench seats should be interchangeable and fit the Street Cup because their frames are the same. Likewise racks should work with a bench seat on the SC. Triumph's tail tidy (A9708393) is the same kit for both the ST and SC and shouldn't make any difference, but another manufacturers' tail tidies might make changing seats and fitting a rack/grabrail difficult.

The problem fitting grab rails is because, as you've experienced, anything designed for the T100 will fit the frame, but sits too low over the rear fender to clear the ST/SC tail light. Triumph's grab rail for the ST has a much higher hoop that clears the standard fender or Triumph's tail tidy (A9758342 or A9758305) than those designed for the T100.

I wanted a more classic Bonneville look for my SC, that's why I swapped the standard ST/SC bobbed rear fender and oval taillight for those fitted to the T100 and so get a more classic Bonneville look. Doing that meant that the T100 modular rail and rack could then be fitted regardless of seat provided the SC's rear rubber bushes are removed.

The part number for the basic rail is A9758329 (black) or A9759192 (Chrome) and mimics the frame hoop that used to loop over the rear fender on the Meriden Bonnevilles.

The advantage of using Triumph parts and accessories is I can be confident it has been properly designed, tested and subjected to all the safety standards modern legislation requires of bike manufacturers.

My only other tip is eBay is my friend, although I used Triumph parts I never spent more than 50% of Triumph's list price by careful searching and patient waiting for the parts to appear.

Sorry if this response seems to have hijacked the thread, but hopefully it helps as reference for anyone planning a similar mod.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride:).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    The only advantage for me would've been the left rear mount not being welded on crooked. I still would've had to bend the loop up to clear the taillight with the much more expensive Triumph part and recheck it for safety. Just like the Triumph part, the Chinese grab rail is way stronger than it needs to be so in the end, it worked out perfectly and I saved some money. Had I known the rear mount was crooked, I wouldn't have bought it. In fact, before I started fixing it, I was about to scrap it and buy the Triumph part.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    Why you guy's Cup seat not fitting with the rail? I'm using button head bolts and the Chinese mount is flat where it bolts down. It looks like the Triumph mounts have a raised area around the bolts

Regardless, I wouldn't recommend buying non-OEM. If you have a hydraulic press or a welder and half a day to burn, you'll only be cutting your losses. I still might buy the OEM and bend the loop now that I know what it involves.

12. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    Hi Tom,

I don't have my Cup anymore but I recall the standard seat would not lock in place with the grab rail fitted. I never bothered to remove grommets or look at the cause because I never wanted the grab rail when the standard Cup seat was fitted anyway. ;)

Cheers

Geoff

13. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    I'll probably never put the Cup seat back on unless the wife prefers riding on the back of the Yamaha. Can't test that until it's warm enough for her. The Yamaha is 60 lbs heavier so I'd like to make the Twin seat work.

• Like Like x 1