Featured Changing Headlight On Bonneville T100

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Mischa Vladivostok, Feb 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    I recently had a terrifying tarmac kissing experience. A cyclist crossed in front of me, I had to jump on brakes, it was a manky wet December day with leaves everywhere, and the bike literally slipped from under me. I jumped at the last second, and incredibly escaped with only a badly grazed knee.

The bike was also surprisingly in not too bad a shape. It slipped along on its right side, mostly on the exhaust, brake pedal, handle bar and headlight. I actually rode it back home! All in working order. I don't mind the scrapped exhaust (aftermarket TEC), pedal and handlebar ends; I'll eventually get around replacing them:
    IMG_5737.JPG

The headlight was a bit more problematic, in the sense that the right side bracket was bent, so the light points sideways, and after a couple of weeks began rusting. I had to change it:

IMG_6506.JPG

I got some second-hand original brackets from eBay, and a lovely matte black headlight:

IMG_6508.JPG

Installing it is relatively straight forward, just a lot of work, as you have to remove the forks to install the brackets. Do one fork at a time. This helps a lot in keeping track of the height and alignment of the forks.

IMG_6509.JPG IMG_6514.JPG

There is a lot of cabling stuffed into the headlight! I used colour matching tape to label each of the connectors. There's actually little chance of mixing them (apart from the indicators), but it's still good practice.

IMG_6534.JPG IMG_6536.JPG

The changing of the brackets is a bit fiddly, as you have to reinsert the forks while keeping the rubber seals aligned. Do it slowly, twisting the forks and moving them in small round movements as you insert them. Keeping looking from the top. It's a bit tricky but doable.

Another issue I had was switching the ignition assembly to the new brackets. If at all possible, only unscrew the two external screws (the ones with hex heads - one is hard to reach). Avoid removing the black lid:

IMG_6524.JPG

I removed it, and watched in horror as bearings slid out of it onto the floor. It turned out not to be a great deal. Make sure not to lose any of the bearings. In my bike (2011 T100), there are three bearings and two springs. The placement of the springs is pretty obvious. As for the bearings, the largest one sits at the bottom (you can see it still sticking to the assembly in the photo above). The two other bearings sit on top of the springs.

IMG_6542.JPG

There were a couple of other problems. The new headlight does not have a connection for the presence light, so I had to remove it; it's pretty useless anyway, and I have a power saving H4 module installed, which only turns on the light after you flick the high/low beam switch. There is also a bit less space inside the bowl for all the cables, so a lot of fiddling was required to stuff everything in there.

I'm pretty happy with the end result!

IMG_6592.JPG

• Like Like x 14
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Sorry to hear about your accident. And you are right, that is a lot of trouble to replace something as simple as a pair of light brackets. I wonder if anybody makes some that are split or hinged? That might just be a moneymaking idea.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Good repair mate :)
    Looks well cool :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Glad you're ok and great job on the Bonne:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Mischa Vladivostok

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    I want to see it painted, painted black
    Black as night, black as coal
    I want to see the sun, blotted out from the sky
    I want to see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
    :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

You just CANNOT over do BLACK :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Good work, well done!

8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Sorry to hear about your off Mischa,but thanks for the well explained write up

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Looks great M, Hope the knee gets better soon !

10. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Glad your ok, and a great repair.

Beerman

11. The ST

The ST Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    West Midlands UK
    Did the cyclist stop and help ? Did u get his insurance details ???? Sorry about the off , you did a good job on the repairs.

12. Mischa Vladivostok

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    He did stop. Just a bloody kid, shaking even more than me. Once I figured out that I wasn't badly injured and Panda wasn't badly broken either, I let him go.