Featured Changed From My T120... And Now Changed Back Again!

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by ralphy, Oct 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ralphy

ralphy Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Middle East/Devon
    I'd noticed that there was quite an imbalance between the output of the exhausts, with a lot more coming out of the left hand than the right. So with a horoscope I had a look down both and discovered that there was a circular restriction welded in on both sides about 2ft down, the lift hand one having a central hole in it whilst the right hand having no hole whatsoever: whatever was coming out was through the small gap between the tack welds holding the restrictor in place. Quite bizarre really!

So I decided to have a go at enlarging the LHS and drilling through the RHS and chose one of those multi-size step drill bits:
    [​IMG]
    which a friend then welded onto a pice of rod:
    [​IMG]

The end result of was was two equal-sized holes in the restrictions and a lot more sound out of the original exhausts. Result!

R

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Nice job of the drill bit. I’m sure the engine enjoys the free flow now

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ralphy

ralphy Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Middle East/Devon
    Update: I'm going to be back on a T120 again!

Loooong story short: took a fancy to the Bonneville Speedmaster so took one out for a test ride, found it too low on the ground clearance but the memories of the 1200cc engine came flooding back...

Back in the dealers there was a tricked up brand new T120 and after a bit of chatting I was offered it for the same price as a standard bike, so I've decided to trade in the LT and get back into the Bonnie fold again!

IMG_3121.JPG

R

• Like Like x 5
  4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Oh no, is there a divorce on the cards then or are you going to get the seat modded? ;) Nice bike BTW.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ralphy

ralphy Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Middle East/Devon
    The 'deal' was I'd fit a king & queen seat as the sculpting of the pillion part on it should eliminate the sliding forward (plus I'll go easier on the hard braking...)

R

• Like Like x 2