Chain And Sprockets

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by michael peacock, May 7, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. michael peacock

Apr 2, 2015
    south shields
    hi everyone, what would you recommend for a new chain for my 1999 955i speed triple. 'o' ring type or 'x' type. cheers

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    X is the latest technology , "O" ring is more than up to the same job but may not last quite as well , talking 'No' maintenance - lube here ...

3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    X type all the way.

4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I'd go with either from a proven manufacturer and if you're changing sprockets get good hardened steel items, light alloy don't last 5 mins even with good lube. Don't get hung up in the pursuit for an X ring, O ring was good enough for donkey's years and they still are. Good maintenance is the key to long chain life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    X ring provides better seal for retaining grease and won’t cost any more. There simply isn’t any reason to fit an O-ring for comparable money.
    Last O-ring chain I had was on my VFR 750. I needed regular adjustment and was pooped by 10000 miles.
    X ring on my Tiger would have lasted 20K+ had I not changed it early and rarely needed adjustment. Of course, could have been coincidence but both X-ring chains on my other two bikes very rarely need adjusting, one is RK and the other is Regina.