Chain adjustment for Trophy 900

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by drob, Oct 17, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. drob

drob Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Hi fellas,

I haven't tightened the chain on my Trophy since I bought it and think it's probably a good idea to do that :). Looks a little loose to me but it's been performing fine. Been looking through this site and searched on Google but am finding no guides to doing this. Anyone know of an idiot's guide to getting this done? I just spent a few minutes staring a the bike and I don't have a clue how to do this. Hoping that it's going to be an easy job.

BTW, decided to go for the whole airbox replacement, rather than just doing the air filter. Got to wait a few weeks before I can afford it tho.

Cheers,

drob.

2. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    I take it its got the eccentric adjusters like my 99 Tiger? if so you need to get it on the main stand then slacken the allen bolts that clamp the eccentric adjusters, then fit the larger allen keys in the side of the eccentics and turn them in the required direction, make sure that the lines either side alighn the same, re tighten the clamps, take the bike off its stand, sit on it and check the slack is ok...repeat as necessary. Im guessing the chain movement to be around the 1/2" mark?

Hope this helps

3. Fatblokexl

Fatblokexl Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Scotland, newtyle
    That link doesn't work anymore
    Mine needs adjusted I think, WAY to much slack. Do you know if slack that is excessive will cause a rattle in low gears at low speed until about 2000-2500rpm?

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Drive chain free play should be 35 -40mm at its tightest point along the middle of bottom run of the chain.

5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    a slack chain can cause all sorts of nasty noises, been there done that. a too tight chain is very bad for the bike too so dont be tempted to do that. gear changes suffer too with a wrongly adjusted chain.Steve is bang on with his free play measurement on these bikes, there does seem to be some confusion though if you read other posts elsewhere concerning whether to adjust the chain on main stand or side stand. personally I do mine on the main stand. there is an eccentric adjuster and it is simple to do ,just undo the locking allen bolt each end of swing arm, get your ,think it is a 12 mm allen headed socket in the hole provided in eccentric and using a good long socket wrench, turn the eccentric and tighten the lock bolts again then re check. you may need to do it a couple of times, and also the eccentric does sometimes seize and can be a pig to move. but in my case wd40 and a socket wrench each side of the eccentrics plus good old brute force and ignorance did the trick

• Like Like x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Good point, Dave ... I always check mine when it's on the centre stand. Can't find my 'owner's handbook' -SWMBO must have filed it :confused: - but in my Haynes Book of Fairytales it does state that the rear wheel should be clear of the ground when checking. :)

7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Chain adjustment is normally done with the bike on it's side stand, so there is some weight going through the suspension and swinging arm.

8. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Steve, it's by far the best way to do it if you can. With this method you can be pretty sure you don't over-tighten the chain which causes more damage.

10. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Found me Owners Handbook! Why she had put it there is beyond me!!! :confused::confused:
    Page 64, Chain Slack Inspection - Set the motorcycle up on the centre stand ... etc etc.
    Just sayin', like!! :p:D
    Smartarse?? Moi?? Nah, just a wee bit smug, though I was beginning to doubt my reason(s) for checking/adjusting the chain, for the last 20 years, whilst the bike was on the main stand - apart from it being easy to do it that way!
    Sometimes I worry too much! :(:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. sprintdave

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #12 sprintdave, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    different bikes different methods. way I see it is T make the bike and if they say do it on the centre stand they know what is best for that particular model

• Like Like x 1