Cc Tensioner

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by stevehotshot, Aug 9, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stevehotshot

stevehotshot Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Chirk
    Hi folks, my TBS has developed a rattly noise at low revs, sound quite agricultural at times... Still goes well... What sort of mileage would a tension last? I'm on 38k and I'm sure noise wasn't there at 36k..(if it was it was quieter).. Also I've put in new ebay pilot jets which were slightly bigger, recommended apparently, and not really set carbs other than reassembly settings.. Last question.. Is it OK to just fit new spring and washer, £13 off ebay to my tensioner... Or is it wise to fit whole thing..? Anyone's experience would be welcome.. Thanks

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Yes it is OK to just fit the spring, don't take the whole tensioner out tho, just the centre bolt. Check spring length against new one.
    The noise could be down to the carbs being out of sync too, or the alternator bolt which is a common problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stevehotshot

stevehotshot Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Chirk
    Cheers...
    Alternator bolt?... What? Loose?

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Yes, it is quite a common occurrence. I'm not saying that is your issue though obviously.

5. stevehotshot

stevehotshot Member

Oct 15, 2020
    Chirk
    Hi all thanks for the advice, I replaced the tensioner spring, it was about 8 or 9mm longer than outgoing spring... Engine is definitely quite but there is still a roughness at idle... If it were a car I'd say it sounded like gearbox chatter.. I've since learned that there is a balance shaft with a needle roller bearing each end. Anyone had experience of this shaft...?