Caveat Emptor!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Adie P, May 30, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    A salutary lesson in trust, honour and integrity.

I have, of late, been casually looking for a T3 900 Daytona to add to my 'collection' and during my regular searches happened on the perfect bike - yellow, 900 Daytona, good condition, and a reasonable 'classified ad.' price/make offer on ebay. So, I made some enquiries via email with a number of questions about the bike. All of my questions were answered and the bike sounded good so I made an offer and got the following response:-

Morning Adrian and thank you for the offer. Since our initial communication I have received two verbal offers, both are the asking price of £2250. One of the potential buyers has requested a viewing this afternoon. I will obviously let you know if he turns up and the result of the viewing. Adrian, you made first contact, so have first refusal. If you can meet the other offers of £2250, I will happily sell to you. Please feel free to call me anytime today (Jack has requested a viewing at 1400hrs this afternoon) Respectfully, Will

My italicisation/enlargement to emphasise the point.

I immediately responded by text message and asked to speak to the seller - my plan being to confirm, as quickly as possible, that I would meet the asking price, take up the 'first refusal' offer and aim to find out how best to make payment and collect the bike. The seller responded to my text and agreed to take my phone call - his text read :-

"Morning Adrian - Yes - Free now - Please call when ready"

I made a number of attempts to call him and every one was rejected so I texted to say that I couldn't get through and ask if he was available to speak. His response :-

"Hi Adrian - Call you back asap"
    "Call you back asap"

I then waited ........ and waited ........... and waited. It shouldn't be at all difficult to imagine how and what I was feeling.

I sent several texts asking if he was available and stating that I really did want that 'first refusal' commitment that I'd been offered.

Well, you can, of course, guess the outcome. I got a text at 16:14 saying that

".... the guy from Camberwell turned up on my doorstep this morning with cash - Really sorry, but the Daytona is now sold ...."

When I was a child I was a wolf cub then a boy scout, and a fundamental tenet of being a part of the organisation was integrity. I went to a very old fashioned grammar school where pupils were divided into 'houses' - Spartans; Romans; Etruscans etc., the idea being to add history, structure and principles - like honour; integrity and ethics - into everyday life in school. They helped shape a view of how to treat your fellow pupils, whether or not they were your friends, and how they would/should treat you. It helped instill notions and perceptions of honourable behaviour, respect and ideas such as an Englishman's word being his bond. Old fashioned now, but outdated? I don't think so.

A number of things really hurt about this whole episode, not least that I'd missed out on a very good bike at a very good price. But it was the manner in which I'd missed out that was most distasteful. I would have found it so much easier to accept if I hadn't been spontaneously OFFERED that 'first refusal' - I hadn't asked for it and wouldn't have even known if I hadn't been told!! But, to have had that offered and then been deliberately reneged and ignored suggests that the other interested party had, perhaps, called and said "I'm only a few minutes away, I'll be around in 10 minutes with the cash .... and a bit extra!"? Perhaps. I guess there really is no honour among thieves.

The seller still has a black Daytona 1200 so, who knows, he might pop up on here one day and get to read this? I hope so. It won't make things any better for me, personally, but perhaps others will remember it and realise he's a hypocritical, mealy-mouthed, deceitful, dishonourable lying git.

So, for the seller - 'WILL' of WEST WICKHAM (ebay seller "fivesargents") - I kind of hope your conscience plagues you for a very long time and that the old adage of "what goes around, comes around" proves itself to be the eternally bitter aftertaste of your sweet deal.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • WTF WTF x 5
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience Ade, unfortunatley the way he has acted towards you i don't think his conscience will bother him as i doubt he has one

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Sorry to hear the whole sorry tale; at least you saved yourself a potential muck - around further down the line had you offered and gone to see the bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Adie, some things happen for a reason. … that’s my belief. If it wasn’t meant to happen it wasn’t meant to happen. The right one will come along . Shame to be fecked about like that though.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Adie P

Wow, Adie, I'm so sorry to read what happened to you with this bike and in particular with this seller. Sadly, it seems there are more and more instances of this type of behavior these days--la ack of honestly and integrity, deceitfulness, disrespectfulness. And this guy even signed his response to your offer with "Respectfully, Will". This type of behavior seems symptomatic of a larger societal trend towards self-centeredness and "me first" (or only), For many, "doing the right thing" has little meaning or importance. For those folks, it's all about doing whatever suits and benefits them even at the expense of others. What a crying shame. :(:sob: Some days I feel quite pessimistic about our species. :worried:

• Agree Agree x 9
  6. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I can understand your frustration. Knowing now what type person he is, Would you want to give your cash to him ?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    So sorry for you Adie. Especially a gentleman like your good self does not deserve this kind of treatment.

Perhaps, like Wayne said just above me, in retrospect it's for the best.

Still, it must be disappointing not getting the bike you so liked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Sandi had put in to words what I've also thought for a long time...

Me, me, me seems to be the sentiment threading itself through so much of society.

I'll be honest through @Adie P ...I really really thought you were going to say that you lost actual money...and it was almost a relief to hear that you "only" missed out on a purchase instead.

I agree it's a horrid situation, and when that frustration subsides I'm sure you'll find a good bike and have a better experience.

For what it's worth..I sell a lot of stuff on gumtree and marketplace etc (not as a business, just family detritus) and often see and also get told when buying as well; and in the past few years there has definitely been a shift towards the "I've been offered the asking price but you're first in queue" type things. I think it's just a selling technique to get the price up.

I think that that is, as you say, dishonest and dishonourable...if you want more for it, advertise it for more!

Personally, whenever someone says that to me, I just say that, "if they can get the asking price then they should", and good luck with their sale.

I may well have paid them the asking price myself, but I just don't want to feel played. But it's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff in these situations.

Lick your wouds Adie...keep an eye on the classifieds...the bike for you will be along soon.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Thanks Dougie. I think you're absolutely right about the seller's lack of conscience. I guess I'm going to have to rely on the whole 'karma' thing to kick in at some point in this man's life. For their sake I sincerely hope it affects only him and not his poor, innocent family.

Good point Mrs. V - especially as it's 200 miles away. But, and part of the whole point, I had resolved to pay the asking price, collect the bike and live with my decision ..... good or bad; right or wrong. The seller had even suggested it would be cheaper and easier for me to 'ride it home' rather than get a 'man-and-van type deal!

Thanks Oldskool. Yes, I understand the 'meant to happen' philosophy and I'm trying to accept that with some (if not much) equanimity! I could live with the episode more easily if the seller had been more honest and more .... I want to say 'honourable' ......... but I can't put the two words "seller" and "honourable" in the same sentence without getting a very bitter tatse in my stomach right now! I do hope the right one will come along - even though it IS very much a "discretionary" purchase. The problem is that this one had very low miles (<10k) and there really aren't going to be many left like that any more. :(

Hi Sandi. Many thanks for that. I think you are absolutely,100% spot-on about the perception that the "me first/me only" behavio(u)r is more prevalent these days. Society does change, of course, and I'm sure that nobody would expect that all of the kind of societal "norms" of, say, the '30s; '40s or even '50s would be practical today.

But, that said, I do think that basic principles such as honour, respect, integrity and honesty stand to serve and to benefit everybody in society. I have to wonder what Will teaches his children - and how HE would feel if his next door neighbour's kids treated his kids in the way he treated me?

Guess I'm old AND old fashioned!! Live and learn?

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Thanks Wayne. Yes, strange though it may sound, I WOULD 'want' to give my cash to him. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that I'd still (even now!) be willing to give the cash to him for one important reason - to me, what he was selling was worth the price he was asking! I would have happily paid that much sight unseen - and was actually going to do so on the strength of his replies to my questions - and lived with both good and/or bad consequences. If he'd wanted more he should have researched the market and asked for more. If he'd wanted to risk getting the highest possible price he could have listed it in an ebay auction rather than classified but, clearly, he wanted the certainty of being paid and, perhaps, ratcheting the price once he had two or more interested parties.

No honour among thieves?

Thank you SO much for your kind words, Wim. I'm not sure that I deserve the epithet 'gentleman', however! :) But, I'll take it with pride and gratitude.

I can't help but feel it will be little short of a miracle for another opportunity like this one to come up any time soon - certainly not at the price he was asking - so I have to doubt that this "loss" (you can't really lose what you never really had, I suppose!) is for the best ....... for me at least.

I do have to admit that it is very much a 'first world problem' - I already have 5 T3s so I can imagine people saying "WTF is HE moaning about? He's got more bikes than anyone could ever need and is crying about not having been able or allowed to buy another! Whingeing old git!" But, a huge part of the whole posting (quite apart from the catharsis) was to emphasise what I personally perceive to be a real societal issue and, perhaps, warn others in case Will ever comes onto the forum to sell stuff. Long shot, I know and, perhaps, self-reinforcing behaviour on my part?

Thanks Daniel - that's all sound advice and very well put.

In some way I guess I was looking for some release of a pent-up frustration built following the epsiode - 'venting'?

It would be nice to think that something will actually come along and be as good or even better is nice and re-assuring, but more than a little unlikely. Still - hope and expectation, and all that! If there's one out there, then there could be others, right?

• Like Like x 4
  11. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Sorry to hear this tale Adie but as has been said it is a society wide issue. To me the annoying thing is when you meet people in life for the most part, they are perfectly civilised. Take the folk on here, absentees excepted, there is a real sense of decency and honesty. The usual good nature to fellow motorcyclists still exists too, but when it comes to "my" things, a lot of people grows second personality.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Chris Little

Chris Little What weather?

Jan 11, 2022
    UK
    Dear Adie,
    You may have been tarred with the wrong brush too - when selling "family detritus" (good phrase!) on Gumtree or giving it away on FreeCycle, in my experience it has been very common for the first responder to never show or even reply to communications. They are probably making scatter gun bids to get bargains they can sell. Better luck and sellers next time!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Based on what a douche the seller was you have to wonder if the bike itself was any good. Maybe you got lucky by not buying it.

• Agree Agree x 2