Castrated Speedo Needle

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by WCB, Dec 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. WCB

WCB Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Noblesville IN
    Sorry for the terrible title here, but I'm flummoxed. Had a jittery speedo cable that I removed, cleaned and coated with silicone, thanks to advice from you mates. Almost did the trick. It still wobbled a little. Then, when riding recently, I look down at the speedometer and more than half the speedo needle has fallen off! Wha da bloody ell? How did that happen? Why me? How can I go out in public now? What to do, what to do . . .

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Technically, I suppose its been circumcised, not castrated? :)

It must have been catching on the glass face maybe? Speedometers are fiddly things that need to be properly calibrated so maybe a new head will be what you need.

I dunno... Speedos, castration, circumcision, head. All innuendo, isnt it? :p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    WCB.
    Welcome to the Family. You don't need that any way. Just go as fast as you can. If you get stopped say sorry officer was the speedo.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    _20180804_022958.jpg Welcome to the Asylum you should fit right in. To keep the inmates happy we will need photos.
    _20180907_064133.jpg Tucker

• Like Like x 2
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I'd say the constant fluctuations and vibrations had weakened the needle ! And it eventually just be came work hardened and brittle, which gave it a weakened spot in the mid section and one good bump and jolt later it snapped, bit unusual but not impossible.
    Leaf springs on cars and truck's break for similar reasons, especially if the shock absorber's are stuffed and the vehicle is then driven on a badly corrugated dirt road ! As an army mechanic I saw a few springs break on army exercises in the remoter back road's of Qld and the NT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Welcome aboard WCB, hope you enjoy the forum and get your speedo sorted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Mate and Welcome to the Forum, as already said only option is a replacement speedo, either new or from the scrapyard?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. WCB

WCB Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Noblesville IN
    Thanks, mates. I think the best advice is to just keep riding. Well, it's -10C here so I'll let it rest for a bit hoping it will grow back.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    WCB. I’m surprised its not shrunk at -10c I know mine would have :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome WCB. Enjoy the ride even if you don't know how fast you're going.

11. WCB

WCB Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Noblesville IN
    Trusty mates, having trouble locating a decent after-market parts dealer. Recommendations? Best to all for a hearty holiday!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Have you tried world of Triumph or eBay, either under spares or breaking, your model.

13. Avinarant

Avinarant Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Leeds
    I would say it's been lanced, you know al la Boil, after all the speed thingy is but an irritation.

14. WCB

WCB Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Noblesville IN
    Ouch! World of Triumph wants 240lbs/$302 just for the gauge, apart from the housing. eBay offers no Triumph speedos, just a bunch of cheapy Chinese stuff. Dare I desecrate my British pony?