Speedmaster Carbon Buildup

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Jacknzone, May 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jacknzone

Jacknzone Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    Hi is it normal to have this much carbon buildup coming out the exhausts system on a speedmaster with only 3000km on the clock , my last Triumph Tiger had a nice grey pipe .
    The buildup of carbon in the photo is just after a 220km ride out of town cruising just over 100 kph

IMG_20200523_095202.jpg

2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I get the same too. First I noticed it on the paddock stand bobbins but then realised it was covering the black painted exhaust end as well. I spotted it not long after buying the bike new and was nervous of a problem but I've now done 16,000 miles and engine still runs fine. My oil consumption seems to be about 100ml per 1000 miles, I don't know if that's 'normal', but my Google searches seamed to indicate it's not enough to worry about.

• Like Like x 3
  3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Unfortunately it is the new "Norm" as our unleaded fuels are CRAP !! This never happened with Leaded petrol unless there was a serious issue with your motor ! It had to be seriously very rich indeed !

Unleaded fuel burns very poorly in comparison !

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    The best cure for carbon buildup is an open throttle...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jacknzone

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    Thanks brown mouse you put my worries to rest ,I will just keep enjoying this great bike cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jacknzone

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    Thanks capt I use 95 octane and now I have started using 100 octane to see if it makes a difference in carbon buildup and performance

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jacknzone

Mar 5, 2020
    Christchurch NZ
    Thanks Wire-Wheels ,Funny you say that ! yesterday I went for a ride with some friends 220km round trip and the throttle was open the rev counter was reading 4200 rpm in 6 gear

• Like Like x 1