Capt's Progress.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sprinter, Apr 28, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    CAPT: Just now reading about this. Not been around much lately. Wish you the best outcome. ...J.D.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Well on the down hill run !
    Start doing physio tomorrow at 14:30. And have appointments next week for final assessments on my spleen and the collar bone.
    Still in a bit of pain muscular now , as I haven't been using/able to move the left arm, because of collar bone and scapula break's combination ! Left arm has for the first five weeks been nothing more than a brick that can hold a phone/book/fork and not much else.
    Range of movement is only slightly better than it was just after the accident. But hopefully physio will get that to improve massively and quicker.

cheers capt

• Like Like x 15
  3. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Wishing you well Capt, and the best of support services:p. On the mend now mate:cool::party::sun:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Keep up with the restoration, these older models need to be fully maintained, and kept up but they are worth the effort.:):):):)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Glad to hear you're well on the road to recovery, @capt! Best of luck with the physio. Patience, though, and one day at a time. I tried to do too much too early and it backfired. Please keep us updated on your progress and we'll look forward to the day when you post a photo from a rideout! :):kissing_heart:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Well just looking back and realised.
    No photos so it didn't happen .... ?
    IMG_20210526_081055_214.JPG
    Five weeks after accident and still this colour.
    Here's what saved my life !! A Nolan flip front helmet N104 !!
    IMG_20210408_122401.jpg IMG_20210408_122436.jpg
    I have photos of the rest of my riding gear , thanks to the insurance claim ! As they only want photos as evidence , they don't come round anymore. My left boot is a big tell. IMG_20210408_122609.jpg
    I must have been still on the bike for a bit for this much rubber and leather to have scrubbed off !!

I've not seen the bike since the accident , but in Manheim auctions site I have glimpsed it in background of other bike's for sale , it appears to by quite intact !
    https://www.manheim.com.au/damaged-...le?referringPage=AuctionListing&saleid=DMM270
    You can see her hear in the background.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wow, capt, seeing those photos makes me glad you're doing so well in a short five weeks (though I'm quite sure it doesn't seem short to you). Those helmet photos could be used in motorcycle safety classes to "encourage" riders to wear full-face helmets. It's sure a good reminder to me! I own one open face 3/4 helmet and I think it has just become a paperweight. How ARE you feeling these days?? Much better, I hope!

Seeing the photo of your bruise reminded me of the nasty ones I had post bicycle crash and surgeries. One of the things that my primary care doc recommended that really helped with my bruising is called "Traumeel". I believe the primary active ingredient is arnica. This formulation is the particular ointment that my physician recommends. Here's a photo.

IMG_5826.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Cheers for the updates, its great to see your on the mend and informative to see your gear. Keep on keeping on.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I may have missed any updates in a different thread or post, @capt, but wanted to check in to see how your mending process is coming along. Hope you're well on the road to full recovery!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi @Sandi T , no you haven't missed anything in the way of updates .
    I have a general tele-health conference tomorrow.
    It was originally set for the end of May start of June , I don't remember which. It was supposed to be a finalized out come of treatment review... As you can imagine a bit premature.
    So I'll have to give you an update in a couple of days , hopefully there'll be nothing bad come up/out of the conference.:)

cheers capt

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Ok , update ...
    The collar bone still to be resolved ... No surprise there. My Spleen :p OK .. nearly completely healed .
    Surprised by the ultrasound finding polyps in my gall bladder. So my GP will probably get in contact with me if there is anything to worry about there. Still doing exercises and see my physio next week. Shoulder is doing the usual two steps forward and one back !! Day to day it varies as to what I can do.
    So slowly I believe I am getting a bit better each week. My left arm is improving in strength a little bit each fortnight, can hold a couple of kgs for a couple of minutes now before fatigue upsets it.

cheers capt

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Shouldn't worry to much about polyps in your gall bladder. Unless they exceed 6mm in size they don't need to be seen to, at least that's the rule of thumb in the UK. They are safe to leave as unlike polyps in the colon, they do not eventually become cancerous. I've had polyps in my gall bladder for several years and they do not cause any problems. I just have an ultrasound scan every now and then to check the size. Sometimes they shrink. In fact at one time they completely disappeared but eventually came back.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi all , seen the Physio again today.
    She manipulated both arms (for comparison) my left has a lock point at approximately level to shoulder. She has no idea what is the cause but no matter how hard I try I can't get beyond this point. She believes there's more going on inside the shoulder. I have Tele health conference with the bone doctors next Tuesday , will have another X-ray Monday/Tuesday prior to review.
    Arm working fine bar the limit of movement , not a strength issue as I have successfully carried full heavy shopping bags and I'm getting the firewood in in 25/30 kg loads !?
    So we will see ....
    As to polyps in gall bladder. My GP hasn't as yet called me ... So space still under review :(:):grinning:
    He's usually very proactive and I'm sure he will contact me soon should I have any worries in that area.

cheers capt

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Capt
    Just read this article. Boy do I feel for you. Wishing you all the strength to get you back on the road to full mobility again.
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Any news after your X-ray and bone doc appointment about that crummy left arm range of motion, @capt? I hope they are figuring out what the problem is and that you are starting to see improvement. Hang in there!

• Like Like x 1
  17. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi @Sandi T , latest will be having a CT scan , local Hospital doesn't have an MRI machine ... Then steroids injections in affected area's / muscle and another Tele health conference end of August.
    I will try out some different options movements of shoulder , try to fix or break it we'll see what comes about ....
    Some days it seems much better than others. This morning 4 instance painful and want's one position to be comfortable (low pain) yesterday it was very painful when I awoke , but within 5 minutes of getting up an about it settled down and then was relatively good all day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the update, @capt. I hope the CT scan provides some useful and actionable information on what the heck is going on with that shoulder. And that the steroid injections provide some relief. And I REALLY hope that you don't "break it" when you try out some different movement options! :eek:

It does seem weird that there can be so much variation in how it feels from day to day although I suspect this is more common than not. My elbow, ulnar nerve, and hand are still that way and I've tried my darnedest to determine any pattern to it without much success. I definitely understand how frustrating it is to have such limited range of motion like you've described. :mad: Not only is it frustrating to not be able to do your usual daily activities along with the things you love to do (like ride!), I actually felt claustrophobic and panicky when my flexion was so limited. Do you ever experience something similar? It was the oddest thing. :confused: Continue to hang in there! And thanks for keeping us posted on our progress. :heart:

• Like Like x 1
  19. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi @Sandi T , well trying to *"Break"* it finally worked ! Went for a drive in the Bush on Friday last 27th August. And found that It didn't hurt as much as it was previously•~• put left Arm through a Range of movement , whilst driving on a winding road. Found as I negotiated turns to the right ~ my left shoulder was being stretched out and it has helped enormously !! Pain is greatly reduced and I can move my arm through a greater range without *hitting* pain barriers :p .
    Off to Hospital today another telehealth conference. Had CT last week , so let's hope there's good news for me and my shoulder *!*:)*!*.
    While there I will try to see/speak to my physiotherapist pass news on to Her.

cheers capt

I have another ultrasound tomorrow morning.

More to come soon.

• Like Like x 8
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Well spoken to the consultant , he believes some encapsulation may have been in progress , and my use of the steering wheel as an exercise platform , has broken down the process.
    So still getting the injections , and , possibly a change in the method of approach in physiotherapy , Consultant will write to my therapist wants Two or three appointments a week for next two months.

cheers capt

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2