Cancelled my Bobber order after test ride

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by DJW, Mar 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DJW

DJW New Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Worcestershire
    So last weekend I popped down to local dealer to test ride the Bobber having put down a deposit a month ago.

Bike looks stunning and was looking forward to the test ride. Had the bike booked out for 2 hrs. Initial thoughts were the bike pulled like a train, sounded great and surprised me at how well it handled.

However after 5 miles I turned around and returned the dealers. The bike just felt too small for me. I'm 6ft and 15 stone, and the bike felt borderline like a kiddies bike to me. It just felt wrong.

I must be used to larger bikes, so this is not to say it's wrong for anyone of my size. Would be good to hear what others thought.

30 mins later I was trying a Harley VRod which felt more my size of bike. Not sure what equates to that bike in Triumph terms since the Rocket stopped being made. Tried the the thunderbird but the seating position felt a little too high for a cruiser for my liking.

So in summary, although not for me, the Bobber is a great bike

2. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Shame, but pointless buying on looks alone.

3. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Hi DJW,

I felt exactly the same about the Bobber.
    Thought, this is my bike until sitting on it. Even the adjustable seat did not help.
    If you are too tall for this bike you not only feel funny, but you also look pretty displaced on it.

Looking forward to meet it on the road though. It is a very good design IMHO :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    So a bike for short-arsed hipsters then.

• Like Like x 6
  5. DJW

DJW New Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Worcestershire
    Hmmmm http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11534042

The ONS said the average man in England was 5ft 9in (175.3cm) tall and weighed 13.16 stone (83.6kg).

The average woman in England weighed 11 stone (70.2kg) and was 5ft 3in tall (161.6cm).

6. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    I was lucky enough to see and sit on one 12 months ago and I remember thinking what a great bike but for me it's just too small..I also saw a Bobber R, now that was a thing of beauty.

I'm 6'3 so most bikes feel small when I sit on them. I know the right bike for me is something like a Tiger, GS, Multistrada etc but for me a big part of owning a bike is wheeling it out of the garage and saying WOW, that's why I bought it....

I'd happily own a bobber but its small proportions are perhaps pushing it a bit far for me personally.......

7. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    sound like you need a VROD:D

8. Luegolover

Luegolover Member

Apr 5, 2016
    London
    I find that easy to imagine

9. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Hmmmm. I think I still need to carry a ladder :rolleyes:

10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Launch night for the Bobber Black and the new Streetmaster Thursday 22nd Feb at your local triumph dealer. Also showing the new Tiger 800 and 1200.

• Like Like x 2
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah, got the invite from my local dealer