Featured Touring Canadian Rockies Tour

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Dougie D, Jun 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Reggie

Reggie Senior Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Penicuik
    Tremendous Dougie...... your holiday, your write up, your photos, the whole lot..... well done and thanks for posting.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Thank you Doug I grew up in Banff (Scotland).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    That's where they got the name, apparently the President of Canadian Pacific Railways was born in Banff Scotland :)

4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Thought it was something like that only did not know exactly that. we have a Banff Springs Hotel to, not on the same scale. Allow me remote.jpg.jpg Scottish 103113-Fairmont-Banff-Springs-Hotel-for-Halloween.jpg Canada

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Very enjoyable read, trip of a lifetime

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Great write up, ye jammy .... I'm jealous:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Gaz477

Gaz477 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    scotland
    Quality pics Dougie

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Cheers Bikerman,hopefully i have planted a few seeds in peoples minds as Canada does seem to get overlooked in favour of the States..loads of guided tours in the States but surprisingly i coudn't find any for Canada, mind you i'm glad i did a self guided tour, as you can stop when you want and do your own thing rather than a group leader deciding for you.it was just aswell i had spellchecker when i was writing about the trip though as my spelling is atrocious :relieved:;)

9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Sounds like a fantastic trip you're doing,I've heard that there were over 600,000 people went to Sturgis for the 60th anniversary in 2000:dizzy: :eek:that has to be the biggest rally in the world,it would be great to see,you'll have to put up some pics:)

10. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    Great writeup Dougie. I'm planning a trip there in August 2018, and so I was interested to read your account and follow the roads. We will be doing many of the same roads. Will probably pay through the nose for accommodation as we'll be there in the middle of summer. beautiful photos... got me wishing that time would go faster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Use your time to try and secure some cheaper accommodation booking up front, then it will be Aug. 2018 before you know it.
    What bike are you planning to ride ?

12. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    #32 Chewie, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    yeah, will be doing that. plenty of accom. research is happening as we speak. I just bought a 2005 Speed Triple in Ohio, with only 12K miles on it. A friend from Virginia picked it up for me and will look after it and prepare it until it's time to ride.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GregR

GregR New Member

May 20, 2017
    Guernsey, Channel islands
    Looks awesome, which company did you book with?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi Greg,i booked it through H-C Travel they are a UK company,Eagle rider will organize the same trip for you, they are much the same price. if i was ever to do another trip like this i would organize it all myself i.e bike hire,accommodation,flights, i think you would save about 20% and even more than that if you decided to just stay in Motels every night (i did stay in 1 motel and it had everything i needed)

15. GregR

GregR New Member

May 20, 2017
    Guernsey, Channel islands
    Thanks very much for the info Dougie D, I've looked at various tour companies including Eagle Rider over the years with a view to doing a trip like yours sometime in the hopefully not too distant future, Canada certainly looks good and would get my vote over America though having said that the various trips through the big US national parks do look good. I like the convenience of booking through a tour company but as you say organising it myself would be an option just need to do a bit more research

16. Jerican68

Jerican68 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC
    Great blog! I live here and I'm envious! Lol...a few of us had planned to do it on our bikes this month, but my cousin isn't up to it at the moment so we're leaving Victoria, Vancouver island, where we live, next Thursday, heading to Port Hardy on the northern tip, then back down through the Sunshine Coast, ferry to Horshoe bay and up to Squamish. It'll be a 4 day trip as we want to stop and actually see places! I'll do a blog but it won't be up to your standard!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    Good stuff Dougie thanks for sharing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    unfortunately i didn't have time to visit Vancouver Island but it looks great, I'm looking forward to see your pics:)

• Like Like x 1
  19. TBPaul

TBPaul Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Brilliant. You've put ideas into my head & the missus is looking at me in a strange way :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Your Mrs would love it..as Nike says "Just do it"!:)

• Like Like x 1