Can We Have A Techy Forum For Computers(ing) Etc Please?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by H.O., Oct 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    I was 1 of the first to have 10 when it first come out, what a balls up!!
    The O.S was far too big for the computer against 7, took up too much space on an older fuller p.c., was slow, loads of patches sent to fix it, updates so big it took hours to down load some of them, ran slow, over complicated, could not choose what patches you wanted etc, etc.
    Miicrosoft too it out and put 7 back in for me, then kept telling me it was not an original down load and wanted to charge me for a key!!
    I must say that the latest 10 IS far better, turned off Cortana and other crap I dont want, but I still say a 4gb ram & standard to lower rated procceser would struggle with it.
    The new computer is 8, AMD A10 proccesser and 2TB, so seems to handle it well, even with a relativly slow (27 mbps) down load.
    You can atleast set the MS patches to down load when you want them now, I set mine when I close down, they usually stall the close down and sort them selves out when I've finished for the day.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i am unable to open emails at work from one particular company,it says it is a "Winmail,Dat" file and when i try to open it i get this message :confused:
    winmail dat snip.JPG
    the company are saying that they send all emails by PDF and they can't understand why i am receiving them as a Winmail.Dat file,i've tried opening them on a different computer at home and i still have the same problem. i am apparantly the only customer out of hundreds that is having this problem. i don't have a problem opening emails from anyone else.anybody know what the problem is and how i can fix it?

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    That looks like an old system you are running, Windows 98 or something like that.
    At work we had a company come in and transfer files to a newer set up.
    Involved a external hard drive ,download, then install new system ,then up load all the files to the new system.

4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    it's a fairly new computer it has windows 10,it seems a bit of a mystery

5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    If its just one guy I wouldnt worry to much
    These microsoft emails that are used in web site contact me sections never work for me.

6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    They are quite a large company and i've done business with them for years and i've been able to open emails from them in the past but it's just been recently that i've had a problem,at the moment they are just posting everything to me

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I had this problem with a large company I work for, I usually got pdfs or docs from them but they soon came through as winmail, it was their problem not mine andthe IT guys fixed it, have you tried opening them on your phone

8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

What to Do If PDF is not opening?
    Set Acrobat Reader DC or Acrobat DC as the default PDF owner
    1. Right-click the PDF, choose Open With > Choose default program (or Choose another app in Windows 10).
    2. Choose Adobe Acrobat Reader DC or Adobe Acrobat DC in the list of programs, and then do one of the following: ...
    3. Click OK.

.............................................................................................................................

Error: PDF document is damaged and cannot be repaired
    Acrobat products have historically opened a PDF as long as the %PDF-header started anywhere within the first 1024 bytes of the file. No checks were performed on the extraneous bytes before the %PDF-header. However, the 10.1.5 and 11.0.01 updates improve security by enforcing stricter parsing of the PDF-header. The product now refuses to open the small fraction of PDFs that do not correctly start with the '%PDF-' header and an error appears:

Error: the document is damaged and cannot be repaired. Adobe Reader could not open because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

Solution: Use one of the following workarounds
    PDF creators
    If you manage or administer software that automatically generates PDFs, modify the way the PDF is produced. Make sure that no extraneous bytes appear before %PDF at the head of the file.

PDF consumers: Enterprise admins and users
    If you are a customer or an enterprise IT professional, you can disable the header validation on machines by setting the appropriate preference. You can set this preference per user in HKCU or at the machine level for all users in HKLM. You can use a similar method on Mac OS by modifying the same plist preference. If the AVGeneral key does not exist, create it manually.

The HKLM path is generically:

HKLM\Software\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\AVGeneral\bValidateBytesBeforeHeader=dword:00000000

For example, to change the behavior for Acrobat 11.0, create a DWORD at this location: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\11.0\AVGeneral\bValidateBytesBeforeHeader=dword:00000000

The HKCU path is generically:

HKCU\Software\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\AVGeneral\bValidateBytesBeforeHeader=dword:00000000

For example, to change the behavior for Reader 10.0, create a DWORD at this location: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\bValidateBytesBeforeHeader=dword:00000000

Always change the product and version number in the preference path to match your installation. This method allows the PDF to display on machines you control.
    ...............................................................................
    I think the second one might be your problem as they say its been updated recently. Good luck rather you than me

10. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Oh, so it looks like I was right, there is a need for a section/thread (now we've got over the jokes and piss takes) in the forum, glad it seems to be useful and of help, if there is a forum where other's help members on any subject its this one!:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    The winmail.dat file contains the Rich Text Format information for the message, but usually will not open normally. (These attachments are sometimes called T.N.E.F.files, short for Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format, which is the technical term for the format Outlook uses.)
    It's not your side Dougie, it's somebody at the company that's sending you the info.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    No, i just use my phone for Phone calls and texting :blush:

13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
  14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Right.
    Ive a TV in the kitchen that gets its signal from a Audio Visual Sender which plugs into the Sky box.
    My new TV doesnt have a Skart plug. I can use an adaptor HDMI to Skart if I cut into the output on the Sky box.

1. Can I split the HDMI signal?
    2. Will this weaken the signal?
    3. If I buy another smart TV for the kitchen will it pick up the wifi signal and work with just that?
    4. For a bonus point .Who won the Rugby Union Grand Slam 1990?

15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #34 Sprinter, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018

Is that on /off, or both together?

Edit ..............got it

16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk