C.quartz Ceramic Paint Protection

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Mar 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Finally got some semi-permanent paint protection today. After researching everything out there I decided to order C.Quartz Paint Protection. It provides additional UV Protection as well as being very hydrophobic. It was $30 Canadian for a 10 mil bottle, of which I only used about a third, and it was applied to all the black paint as well as all the carbon and the front callipers. It’s a semi-permanent clear coat that lasts up to 2 years and adds up to 50% more scuff resistance (micro marring) to the paint. A good idea for Matt paint in my opinion. It’s applied with a suede cloth in a crisscross pattern for even coverage, then allowed to flash off before a gentle wipe with a microfibre cloth to knock off any thick areas. Although there are a few products specifically designed for Matt paint, this is a more permanent product that can also be used on Matt paint. As you will see in the photos it doesn’t add any additional shine to the paint, but it does make it slightly darker, which l like. For some background here I use to operate my own detailing business for over a decade and have applied these types of coatings many times, so I have a bit of an advantage I suppose. These coatings have to be applied correctly otherwise the outcome may not be desirable. If the high spots are not evened out they will be obvious when it dries, and because it’s basically permanent you can’t repair it on Matt paint, as it would have to be sanded off then polished. Anyways, enough of the rambling about the process and on to the photos. You may not notice any difference at all, but that is a good thing. In person during the process it is noticeable though.

7E71329C-79B0-4579-9FE8-01DE66977D0F.jpeg

F42ED913-6F04-4B13-AB98-64E036971761.jpeg

786ACF05-12B0-4624-B5C2-82158916D8F7.jpeg

AAE59A2D-47C4-455F-8978-1100D04A9BBB.jpeg

14317807-3DD3-44CF-9788-C429A5EDB9B6.jpeg

686CCC1D-5744-468B-AB3E-8AE7F663C569.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. NakedBiker

NakedBiker Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Surrey, UK
    Looks great.
    I've been looking at ceramic coatings too but there are so many available.
    What did you pre-wash with?

3. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    So called Ceramic Paint protection is all the rage here in the US, especially for highend cars like Porsche. Guess time will tell if they are really that good or just snake oil with a name that draws you and your $$ in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    50% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and water.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well, I used to apply these for years and can tell you they are better than anything out there. After applying a product called Opti-Coat, it was measurable with a paint thickness gauge. My clients would come back for a light machine polish after a few years and the paint was measured again and was still the same thickness, beading water and protecting the paint. I have had Opti-Coat on both of my vehicles for about five years and both are beading water and resisting road grime. So take it from someone who has many years experience with these coatings, they are legit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Oh, I should add that permanent coatings are no longer available to the general public, only semi-permanent like the one I applied to my bike. If you are willing to pay $$$ at a detailer then you can get a permanent coating. Personally I would just apply the semi-permanent coating myself, then reapply when needed, which is typically 1-2 years depending on several variables like if the vehicle is left in the sun all day, garage kept, hot country etc.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Flawless paintwork SteveRS...but that bike of yours hasn't been out of the garage yet ;):yum:no_mouth:

8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I know :weary_face:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Sorry bro, take min in for the 500 mile service in 10 days ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    :worried::sob::weary_face:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. NakedBiker

NakedBiker Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Surrey, UK
    I've seen uses of the ceramic coatings being used on helmet visors too with very good results in wet conditions.

12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Absolutely. I use to apply them to all the windows on a vehicles as well as all the plastics. Keeps the plastic parts from fading and looking new for years. This technology really was a game changer in the industry. I don’t know why anyone would want to use a wax or sealant anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Spspeed

Spspeed Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Michigan
    I've done my '19 RS (now with 3800 miles) with a ceramic coating and like the OP I feel it is ideal for a matte finish. I used Dr. Beasley's Matte Ceramic coating but I am here in the States and really like the way it looks (pretty much like the OP's bike). Like him, I recommend doing it if just for making cleaning the bike easier and faster to do by an order of magnitude. It'll still get dirty but cleaning it after it's been properly coated is something else.

• Like Like x 4
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well said Sir.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dan Burrhus

Dan Burrhus New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Texas
    Looks amazing, great job. As a noobie to detailing when I bought my Thruxton R in 2016, I found a matte black "kit" from chemical guys https://www.chemicalguys.com/the-complete-matte-kit/HOL99516.htmlhttps://www.chemicalguys.com/the-complete-matte-kit/HOL99516.html. Sorry, I don't have a proper picture to demonstrate, I just traded it in on a Thruxton TFC.

Speaking of my new ride, I am interested in layering in a protective coating and found this at chemicalguys.com (again): https://www.chemicalguys.com/carbon-flex-c9-protective-coating-for-paint/WAC227.html It's a carbon coating.
    I'm not sure if this is a good idea or whether or not I need to do anything beyond wash before installing on this brand new paint job. Any thoughts?

16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That is basically a sealant, not a ceramic coating. As far as preparing the paint for a sealant or ceramic coating, it needs to be stripped of any oils or contamination. Use isopropyl rubbing alcohol cut 50-50 with water.

17. Dan Burrhus

Dan Burrhus New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Texas
    After reviewing your thread and studying, I am considering hiring a pro to apply a permanent ceramic coating. The one my pro is recommending is Feynlab Self Heal Plus. Heard of it? Does it really “heal” like the vids show?

18. Dan Burrhus

Dan Burrhus New Member

Jul 23, 2019
    Texas
    I say permanent but the warranty is 7 years.

19. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Nope never heard of it, but their are more players now in the industry than ever. Self healing paint has been tried before. I had a Infiniti that had it and I wasn’t impressed. I ended up putting a ceramic coating over it. Anyway, I wouldn’t pay more for that particular coating over another permanent coating. They are very easy to apply by the way. The coating I applied was very simple. You could even apply it to something other than your bike just to see how easy it is, to build your confidence. I would never pay someone to apply it, because they will change you a lot of money and tell you how difficult it is. It’s up to you but don’t get fooled into paying big money for something you can do yourself. Also, the coating sold to the general public are semi-permanent, meaning you will have to reapply it in 1-2 years depending on several factors like weather and exposure. The so called permanent coating will last about twice as long. So in the long run it’s much cheaper doing it yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That coating will not last seven years, so you will probably be charged enough $$ to cover future coating to cover the warranty.