Buying Sight Unseen...?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Petethehat, Feb 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Whats the difference between delivering a parcel with an essential teddy bear in or plastic flowers which is a regular occurrence or the collection of a bike that could even be a ‘work bike’ ? I couldn’t care less and I would just collect it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    The law seems to be a bit unclear on this, Dealers are allowed to deliver your vehicle,but i cant see anything saying the customer can or can't collect

3. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Dougie, how far is it from you? If it’s say for example more than 100miles away I’d let them deliver it. If it’s nearby just get a taxi. Whatever the risk factor either the delivery man meets you on your doorstep then drops dead or the dealer drops dead at the other end? It’s only like going to a kitchen company showroom or a hardware store where you bring back non essential shoe polish etc......

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris Skinner

Chris Skinner New Member

Feb 3, 2021
    alton, hants
    Hi Everyone.
    ;Most of the time I would have said , see bike first, but we are in weird times and the bike you want may be 300 miles away so you may have to trust and hope to get money back if it all goes wrong.

I bought sight unseen a fabulous looking custom Kawasaki 750 Vulcan back in the summer last year. It rode well until I noticed the radiator wasn't getting hot, you guessed it, water pump had failed! 10 hours labour at £50 - 100 an hour! Dealer said he had ridden bike and it was fine when it left him , so it happened after I got it ( 100 miles) . he would give me nothing back on it. I bought it on ebay. sold it for £1200 less than I payed.

I think I was unlucky but would not risk it again.
    Safe riding,
    Best regards,
    Chris

5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Aberdeen which is 70 miles away or about 90 if I go up by Braemar which I probably would.they will deliver FOC but I was looking forward to the run home, just don't want to get a fine

6. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    The thing is would you do it if it was a car if you ‘had to’?

7. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    @Dougie D the answer is this .....
    The dealer is a small dealership who has been known to stick one up you your not streetwise therefore purchase on inspection

8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I've seen the bike, it's a new one. I think I'll wait until a couple of days before and if the weather's looking ok I don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation..if I get stopped I'll say Eric said I'm allowed! :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I've bought 2 motorcycles online. A bonneville from North Cornwall Motorcycle Centre and an 800 tiger from CMC ( Chesterfield Motorcycles ).

Both were better specced than the ads. And both were in better condition than expected. In these days of high definition images you can see exactly what you're buying. Always phone and have a chat about any query you might have.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another that way.

10. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I bought a bike in December unseen but am yet to take delivery because of lockdown and furlough complications, however as I understand it...

Click and collect from a dealer is ok
    Dealer delivery of a vehicle is ok
    Dealer buying/collecting a bike is ok
    Buying/collecting privately is not ok, but
    Buying from photos and getting commercial transportation is OK

Basically, purely private transactions aren't OK, but business transactions are.

Best avoid the politics of why...

The bike I sold a few weeks ago to make room for the one I've not got yet was advertised on a forum, bought sight unseen and collected by a commercial motorcycle mover (a2bmotorcyclemovers.co.uk) who were very professional

Regards MCN and youtubers doing test rides and reviews etc, they would argue that this is a business activity, and I treat that argument with the same level of contempt that I treat pretty young influencers having to fly to Dubai for some Instagram pictures.

11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    According to the Scottish Gov Website you are ok to collect any new vehicle as long as it's in Scotland only I presume

12. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Is that new as in new from a shop, or new as in new to you?

13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I would think it has to be a new one right enough

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Petethehat

Petethehat New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Devon UK
    Thanks everyone - some great advice on here. I'll let you know how I get on. Cant wait to get my hands on a Triumph Thruxton...