Buying From Europe?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by andyc1, May 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike in it

Mike in it Member

Nov 30, 2020
    London/Essex
    I bought a pair of Daytona boots on E Bay......from Germany.....and I got stung for £147 import duty and VAT

• WTF WTF x 1
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Exactly what I want to avoid! I'm not too fussed, I put an Austin Racing can on the bike. Sounds great but its a bit too loud. Back on the standard pipe again. Seen that SC do one thats not much smaller than the standard so probably not much louder. Quite fancy it but its already expensive without hidden costs.

3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Well my delivery has just come and at point of drop off there is nothing to pay. It took five days from purchase from Germany

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    That is lucky Eric. What was the item; I wonder if it was exempt import tax?

5. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

I was about three weeks from receipt of goods to invoice for duty and VAT. Fingers crossed for you Eric :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    That sounds like waiting to see if the man with the hair dryer got you o_O

• Like Like x 1
  7. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I've sent them a message, interesting to see if they get back to me. I notice on SC's own website, the price says doesn't include vat. Defently won't be chancing it. Feels like a lost cause, I have a feeling if Conquest get back to me with a price, it'll be far too expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    It's a shame they don't have their prices on their web site, i bought my S C project exhaust direct from the factory last year and comparing it with the price for an Akrapovic for my GS the SC Project are a lot cheaper but i would say the quality is on a par, but i think a lot of that was because you are buying direct from the factory

• Like Like x 1
  9. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    In the past I've bought OEM Honda parts from CMSNL in the Netherlands. Always been reasonably priced. This year I went through the process of ordering around £45 worth of bits and bobs. When I got to the end the final bill came to around £80. I didn't complete the order.
    I queried it with CMSNL and basically the reply said what you all know, blame Brexit. Even ordering parts through British based David Silver (well known in the Honda world) now costs significantly more, for the same reason. I work in the world of horticulture and realise COVID has played it's part, but plant prices for example are up by around 30%, with delivery times extended. This has cost me work.
    I'm genuinely not trying to stir up the Brexit argument again (seriously!) but at these times I wonder if any ordinary, Mr Average, has experienced any personal benefit yet from Brexit. So far everyone I've asked has said it's been negative for them personally. Maybe things will improve but I doubt I'll recoup the £££'s it's cost me.

• Like Like x 3
  10. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Conquest racing got back to me with a price, its actually pretty fair, they've done the conversions and added the import charges, postage etc but not nearly as much as I was expecting. At least I know thats what I will pay and nothing hidden so I may just go ahead and order.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1