Buying A Speed Triple ?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Too hot, Jul 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Englishbandit

Englishbandit Active Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Huddersfield
    #81 Englishbandit, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    I have a nitron R1 shock on my FZ1N and it’s like having a different bike once fitted. I now put them on all my bikes. As I get them trade price. Best mod you can do to any bike is fit a descent aftermarket shock

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Too hot

Too hot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Costa del Clyde Scotchland
    Looks as though I have taken your advice to the letter !!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Well that is a very tidy looking Speedy you have there sir, get that scorpion on and you're set, bear in mind that it may need retuning to suit, I did when I changed the under seat Arrows for a lowboy scorpion on mine, have fun but take it easy while you get acquainted with each other.

4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have had my Wisamic lamps fitted for a year now

Fitting
    Undo the screw under the light that holds the chrome 'frame' in place. Ease this off and the light unit will pop out, may need some wiggling
    Undo the H4 plug and pull out the mini running light
    Keep in place the shaped frame that the lamp locates into, this ensures the correct orientation
    Introduce the Wisamic model, plug in the H4 bulb, depending on the unit you may need to tuck away the wires for the small daylight running light (DLR) or modify them to fit the new unit if it has a DLR option..I don't on mine as main unit is on all the time anyway
    Ensure the unit lines up with the shaped frame, there is a locating tab so it has to be correct
    Reattach the chrome frame, it only goes on one way so ensure the front is the same way as when you took it off

Use
    It uses less volts than the standard bulb unit but produces a lot more light, there is plenty on dipped and as it is DOT approved it passes not inspections with no problems
    The lens is actually quite soft as it isn't glass so clean with plenty of water and microfiber cloth so it doesn't scratch
    During a ride it may must up inside, but there are so e tabs you can remove to improve airflow and reduce misting, it doesn't affect the light though
    You may need to adjust the angle of the headlight units as the beam may be a bit higher than standard, there is a built under the twin lights that you can loosen to do this

Asthetics
    These look amazing and add a level of functional good looks to the bike when on or off

Insurance
    I have declared these as a modification, but didn't affect the premium

5. Tratch

Tratch Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    #85 Tratch, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    I'm fortunate enough to be able to get any bike I want.

But after looking at newer Speeds and BMWs, I bought a used Matt Black 08 Speed and immediately upgraded the rear shock and the front damping units and springs (Nitron and K-Tech) which is the only real weakness of this model. Also chucked on every trick part Triumph do - CNC levers, Arrow Lowboy etc - still came in well under £4000, fully sorted and mint condition.

This may be controversial but I find the newer bikes just too slick and soulless to look at and with the suspension sorted, not that much superior to the older model (unless you have a forged wheel bike, Öhlins suspended R model).

In short, the round light 08-10 bike is the best Speed IMO. Real meat and veg bike - a cable clutch and throttle, no electronics to mess with, looks the best and bags of character. You cannot go wrong.

6. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    No pictures, didn't happen :rolleyes:, get some up Tranch, we'd love to have a butchers.

7. Tratch

Tratch Active Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Lol, will do. Just want to fit a few final bits and take some proper pics.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Too hot

Too hot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Costa del Clyde Scotchland