Buying A Speed Triple ?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Too hot, Jul 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    What’s the suspension on the non R version? One of my brothers has KYB on his GSXS 1000, even though it’s adjustable it’s not very good. He had to take it to a local suspension tuner to revalue the forks. The rear shock wasn’t fully adjustable and will have to be replaced to balance the work done on the forks. As long as it’s a quality, fully adjustable font and rear kit you’ll be fine. If not, the small amount you’ll have to pay for the R version will be well worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    I’ve had a 2007 and 2011 regular S3’s and currently own a 2016r and it’s shocking ( pun intended) how much nicer the Öhlins suspension is. It’s taunt yet plush definitely confidence inspiring.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. m4ppy

m4ppy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Hi and welcome

I was in the same dilemma, buy the S or the tasty R. I am 18 stone with gear so was aware a suspension upgrade was needed no matter what. I was offered a massive discount on a new old stock S so saved several £££££ so I had the maxton guys upgrade the suspension. Similar to others with upgrades it's night Vs day different.

Budget £1000 for an upgrade and spend the rest of your budget on the bike you like the look off.

No matter what speed you get, you will enjoy it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Too hot

Too hot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Costa del Clyde Scotchland
    Still looking at the moment.How do the early 955 versions compare with later 1050’s ? I have seen a very clean and tidy 955 with only 10k miles on it.However it’s a 2002 so now nearly 17 years old is it worth considering over later models ?

5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    What happened to the test ride on the 15 reg R you mentioned too hot?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Too hot

Jul 9, 2019
    I decided I couldn’t justify the additional expense, over a standard Speedy for something that is really just a sunny day(rare in Scotchland) toy and will sit in the garage more than get used in anger ! Having just sold my BMW GSA1200 I don’t want to tie up a lot of cash in a bike again.

7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
  8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    My personal opinion

I love the 2010 Speed Triple
    Round headlights upgraded with Wisamic LED units
    No abs, traction control or ride by weir to go wrong
    Can access the ECU for fuel mapping unlike later models
    Fuel injection for reliability
    Fantastic engine, brakes, geometry and looks
    Reliable
    Replace the suspension with one set up for yourself
    Change the cans for a tone more fitting for this bike (Pipewerx)
    It can filter, commute, tour and tear up the tarmac
    Parts are easily available

I had the 2016 and didn't get on with it, sold it and went back to a 2010

Earlier models will have carburettors with chokes etc, nought wrong with them but I prefer the fuel injection.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Might be worth you having a look in the "Bikes for sale" section as there is a very nice early shape 1050 up for grabs.

10. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Might be worth you having a look in the "Bikes for sale" section as there is a very nice early shape 1050 up for grabs.

11. Jaykun85

Jaykun85 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    Love my 2013 Speed Triple. Been a while since I have been on and a lot of upgrades have been put on it. Just had my Suspension all made by Maxton Engineering (handy as there up the road from me :p ). So once the customer paint has been put on it I shall be putting some new pics up :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Too hot

Jul 9, 2019
    I saw that one looks very nice but it’s in Taunton and I’m near Glasgow !!
    Miles away!

13. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I'll ride it up for you! :D

• Like Like x 3
  14. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    If you were interested, I've used an ex BMW bike dealer who is now a bike courier, he checks the bikes thoroughly while giving you a walk round report over the phone before handing over your cash which you send to him prior, if you/he's not happy it's returned to you, otherwise he then delivers the bike to you.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jaykun85

Jaykun85 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2018
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    Love my 2013 Speed Triple. Been a while since I have been on and a lot of upgrades have been put on it. Just had my Suspension all made by Maxton Engineering (handy as there up the road from me :p ). So once the customer paint has been put on it I shall be putting some new pics up :)
    Noooo bike is ever too far. Especially if you get to ride it back up north :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Earlier models will have carburettors with chokes etc, nought wrong with them but I prefer the fuel injection.[/QUOTE]

Those were pre 1997, the T509 885i and T595 955i are injected.
    If you prefer the looks of the newer 1050 bikes go for it. Personally I prefer the bug eye look of the older ones but obviously they dont have the power of the newer models, nor the ohlins etc. I know some prefer the 955 engine to the 1050 too.
    Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  17. Too hot

Jul 9, 2019
    Interesting I will see what happens, not planning the 7.5 hour ride home that’s for sure! I’m too old for that. It’s going in a van or it’s not coming home !!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    If you need his details give me a shout and I'll pm them to you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    My 2011 speedy on ebay finishes later today I’ve been offered 4K with standard cans,if guy turns up tommorow as he says it will be sold.

20. Too hot

Jul 9, 2019
    £4K seems cheap for a 2011 ?
    Hope the sale goes ok for you ;)