Burning Exhaust Wrap ???

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Samuel F, Nov 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Samuel F

Samuel F Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Is it me or my exhaust wrap is burning on my pipe ?
    (short version written in bold).

A little bit of context.
    Everyone whom has met me, knows I'm an 'idiot' when it comes to mechanics, or even tinkering.
    I wrapped my exhausts with a lot of help from Dan the Man @d-basser . I'm fairly certain it modified my idle, the bikes struggles a bit more not to stall when firing it cold. Surtely it has to do with the air intake sensor we had to unplug / replug.

Very quickly we realised that affordable ( or cheap, tbh... ) exhaust wrap lost most of it's black tint just by soaking it. Upon usage, it even became white on the front-upper side of the pipes. Fair enough, lesson for next time, buy the expensive stuff.

Yesterday, I was applying a generous coating of ACF 50 to prepare for the winter, and to be honest the severe reduction in riding time. As I don't need to ride, (as in commuting) I tend almost not to ride over the winter [insert Sunday rider taunt here]. Naturally some of it when over the pipes (therefore the warp).

Upon firing it, gees... That's a lot of smoke. (more than you would observe on the video).
    I guess ACF 50 produces that, I guess it will pass. But Then in a matter of minutes, my wrap turned out Burnt-Brown.

Long story short, is it me, or my wrap is burning ?
    Should I cut it out the pipes ?

AS usual, thanks for your help. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi Samuel:)
    I keep mine black by dabbing them with high temperature satin black paint using a bit of sponge :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Hello Mate.
    Yeah, I might do that, but... Is my exhaust burning up on my pipes ?
    That burnt-orange tint is not very reassuring....

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Only way to find out is to look under the wrap :(
    When I did mine I removed the full exhaust system and took the headers into work and using an angle grinder I removed all the outer chrome from them :eek:
    I painted them with the high temperature paint then wrapped them :cool:
    It means I would have to buy replacement headers if I wanted to return the bike to standard so I could sell it to a chromeosexual :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    A chromosexual.... Sure... Sure...

Alright... I'm open to more point of views, but what I get from what you wrote is "sit and wait" as I'm not necessarily keen on undoing all the wraps for now....

6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

If you're worried about the chrome underneath I would take a look now :confused:
    If you're not bothered...just paint the wrap like I do:p
    Any discolouration on the headers will only get worse if left alone and will be easier to deal with sooner rather than later :)
    Don't forget though BLACK is the COOLEST colour :cool::p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    I'm not really worried about the chrome, because even if I choose not to wrap my pipes anymore one day, I would not be opposed to a brushed look instead of chrome. ( not really a chrome guy, I like the matte aspect much better, wether it's steel or black.

But because I know nothing about mechanics, physics, etc... I just don't want to blow up my exhaust or burn something up or whatever.

:p

Anyway, cheers for your help...

• Like Like x 1
  8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Billy, long time no speak. The way I see it is that pipe wrap is a material, material has a tendency to soak up humidity from the air. You then spray it with a silicone liquid (ACF50) and heat up the pipes, the pipes are hottest near the cylinder heads, so they very quickly get hot and start to evaporate off any humidité. The bike is used rarely so there is time for the wrap to soak up more humidité before the next ride where the same cycle happens again.

What would I do? The next decent day I would ride the bike until the pipes stopped smoking, I would not spray them with any product as it serves no good purpose (wrap doesn't rust!), and I would live with it.

9. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Hey Big Lad, long time no see indeed.
    Everywinter is the same. Despite warm clothing, I went for a ride 10 days ago and frozen solid by the cold, after 2 hours, I was like "alright the season is over I guess". So yeah, These days, there's sometimes 2 weeks between ride-outs. Hence rarely used, hence humidité as you say.

Live with it, alright, I might just use Diligaf's lidea for black paint at some point. :p

Cheers for your input, it's much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Have to agree with you there mate when it comes to exhaust wrap - after all blue would look foolish! :p

11. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    All it needed was a little of French touch. :D :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Ooer:eek:....I don't remember that :confused:

• Funny Funny x 2