British Poppy Appeal 2021 - What Is It?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Judd Dredd, Oct 30, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    For the benefit of you lovely people abroad who maybe unaware of this important tradition.

[​IMG]

In the days leading up to 11th November (remembrance day/veterans day), you will see people on here and UK TV wearing a poppy.

This is a symbol to remember those who have lost their lives in conflicts around the world and those who have been killed as a result of terrorism.

[​IMG]

It also represents the contribution of families and of the emergency services.

The reason poppies are used to remember those who have given their lives in battle is because they are the flowers which grew on the battlefields after world war one ended. This is described in the famous poem "In Flanders Fields". Ever since then, they have come to be a symbol of remembering not just those who gave their lives in WW1, but all those who have died on behalf of their country.

[​IMG]

The Royal British Legion uses money raised from these donations is used to help servicemen and women who are still alive, whose lives have been changed by wars that they fought in. The money helps veterans who may need to find new jobs or somewhere to live, or any other support they may need. It is also used to help those who have lost loved ones because of wars.

The Royal British Legion was founded on 15 May 1921. They sold out straight away and raised more than £106,000 for those whose lives had been affected by the war, by helping to find them jobs and somewhere to live once they were no longer serving in the army.

[​IMG]

In 1922, a factory was set up where disabled former soldiers were employed to make the poppies. This factory is still running - and producing many millions of poppies each year - to this very day. While the majority of people wear their poppy on their chest, there is no right or wrong way to wear a poppy. As the Royal British Legion says: "We only ask you to wear it with pride."

Last 18 months have had a huge impact on the poppy appeal collections (£30m down from 2019) and has led to important projects being curtailed.

I urge anyone to provide any support they can to the Royal British Legion.

Royal British Legion website - https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Always a worth while appeal and they get my donation every year. Thanks for posting.:)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    A subject that is hugely important to me; great post. The only small objection I have (I know.....nitpicking....) is that it is not veterans' day - this is in June (now called Armed Forces Day) and celebrates the living veterans and currently serving members of the armed forces, rather than remembering the dead.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    veterans day is what the Americans call remembrance day.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    #5 Mrs Visor, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Ah - I thought they had Memorial Day in May as their equivalent to our Remembrance Day and then Veterans Day on 11th November so the other way round to the UK. But anyway; definitely not here to split hairs over a great cause and a great post made by yourself. I thought that you meant that the UK called it veterans day as well as remembrance day in your original post!

• Like Like x 3
  6. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    • Like Like x 10
  7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    It's a bloody shame here in NI, wearing a poppy is seen as sectarian in some places :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

#8 Golgotha, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2021
    We have Veterans Day and Memorial Day, no Remembrance Day. Veterans Day is for the living, and Memorial Day is for the deceased. Veterans Day is when everyone here goes around issuing condescending "thank you for your service" to vets they run across and Memorial Day is when everyone here goes around issuing condescending "thank you for your service" to vets they run across because they're either too stupid to know the difference or too complacent to run it down.

The American Legion used to give out poppies but you don't really see that anymore. It's much more of a Brit thing these days. "In Flanders Field" et al.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Okay, I’m a Yank but it’s a lovely and important tradition in my eyes.

I have a couple of magnetic poppies that I put on the tank of the Speed Twin every year; there’s my bike parked at work this morning.

Also, it’s great to see poppies on all the Premier League unis (even the refs).

8B18E432-4832-47D5-B269-697472530642.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  10. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

That reminds me, I still need to slap on my tail tidy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes been and got my badge and poppy. But thanks Judd Dredd. People should be proud to wear their Poppies for all our Veterans.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
  13. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Years ago, poppy sellers were were easy to come by in town but not so much these days. I guess they now rely more on internet donations. You could buy a large poppy to stick on the front of your car but I've not seen one for the last few years. You don't have to buy a poppy to donate of course.

For anyone who holds remembrance Sunday dear and is unable to visit the Allied War Cemeteries in northern France/Belgium, the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas is well worth a visit.

The Soldier by Rupert Brooke is the verse that symbolises Remembrance Day for me and always brings a lump to my throat.

If I should die, think only this of me:

That there's some corner of a foreign field

That is for ever England. There shall be

In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;

A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,

Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,

A body of England's, breathing English air,

Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,

A pulse in the eternal mind, no less

Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;

Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;

And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,

In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

• Like Like x 5