Featured Rideout Bridlington Or Bust

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Octoberon, Mar 27, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #1 Octoberon, Mar 27, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    I'm still one trip behind so this one was last weekend. Early March with Spring still getting up to temperature. Warm enough for a decent ride to the coast. I've insured my Street Triple now but for this run it still wasn't allowed out the garage, so it was me on my MV and Rachel having all sorts of fun on her Streetfighter.

First stop was for the obligatory fry-up. Breakfast of champions. Actually, more like lunch of champions by the time we pulled in to the Strawberry Fields cafe, just south of York.

upload_2022-3-27_21-34-3.png

upload_2022-3-27_21-35-3.png

The sun was out. About a dozen bikes gleamed in the sunshine. Service was quick and the breakfast excellent. Too many of these places offer obviously cheap ingredients but not this one. Definitely recommended for the hungry rider.

upload_2022-3-27_21-41-33.png

Refuelled and ready for the second leg of the journey we saddled up and headed for a second coffee stop at the Seaways Cafe, another popular place for bikers.

upload_2022-3-27_21-58-35.png

Lots of metallic eye candy to be had here. The cafe is a decent size and there's plenty of space outside.

upload_2022-3-27_22-0-5.png

upload_2022-3-27_22-5-31.png

I like to think we added a little colour of our own. :blush:

upload_2022-3-27_22-1-4.png

After a good look around and a quick check of the map to decide which way to go next, we headed for the coast.

Bridlington, then. When it comes to explaining all the good things to say about Bridlington it's difficult to know where to start. In fact, I can't find the start. It was awful. Gaudy and tired, like so many seaside towns in this country. Cheap attractions and unappetising food abounded. These two shots were about as good as it got.

upload_2022-3-27_22-16-8.png

upload_2022-3-27_22-16-28.png

We took a walk along the sea front, grabbed another coffee in a cafe that seems to have been refurbished in 1975, then cut our losses and rode home. It felt like the biking year had begun.

• Like Like x 24
  2. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Aye, the best thing about Brid is it’s not far to go home.:joy::joy::joy:.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    We were in Norfolk in October for our first getaway in 2 years, lots of beautiful and unspoilt villages and very friendly folk...but Great Yarmouth!? If ever a place was badly named, this is it, Great ? what a shithole, one of those seedy dumps you feel like wiping your feet on the way out. Avoid Avoid. We're planning a trip up to Whitby this year hopefully, please tell me its not Lebanon on sea?

4. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I spent a weekend in Whitby once. From what I remember it was quite a nice place.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    ✅️ noted

6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Looks like a wonderful day out and about on the bikes for you and Rachel, @Octoberon! Brilliant blue skies, good food and coffee, and lots of motorcycles! What more does one need? I love that Strawberry Fields logo. They must make tee-shirts with that on them, yes? Thanks for a fun report. :) Glad you're able to get out again and that spring has sprung. :sun:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Thanks, Sandi. There may be t-shirts, I'll have a look on our next visit. There is obviously some bike club(s) affiliation going on.

Spring is going on hiatus this week. Some wintry weather is coming in from the north, annoyingly. Looks like it'll be back on with the thermals and winter gloves next weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Octoberon: Thanks for your report an the great pictures. I love this kind of breakfast too!!!;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. As said Brid is best avoided but if you are that way out go to Fraisethorpe for a decent cafe - The Cow Shed. Bit of a winding single track to get there amongst the wind turbines.
    Its about 1 mile south of Brid. Lovely sweep of coast going all the way down to Hornsea and views back to Brid,
    Be wary though - it is no longer a naturist beach....keep your vest on

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #10 Octoberon, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    I realised when we got back that we'd missed an opportunity to stop at the Cow Shed. These days I check the map to see if there's anywhere rocommended en route but I managed to overlook it. It's a good excuse to take a few detours. No doubt we'll be back over that way sometime. maybe heading for that place then taking the coast road up to Scarborough.

11. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I may be biased, but if you are heading across to the Yorkshire Coast, Filey (only a few miles North) is a much nicer place than Brid. Its much smaller,, but the beach is very good, although if the tide is in there is no beach to speak of, so if you are looking to build sandcastles, check out the tide times. Whitby too is nice and very popular in the summer season. They have a good cafe which is part of the Railway station where bikers are welcome.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  12. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Very nice ride out, and great pictures too.
    Cheers for posting.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Thanks for the tip. I've heard Filey is quite nice. Smaller towns are often a better bet when it comes to the coast. I'll check out that cafe at the railway station, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bikerman

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    @Octoberon is your Map of all the meeting places a sticky somewhere?.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    My rideouts are frequently sticky..;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I was referring to the Railway station cafe at Whitby, not Filey sorry if that was confusing. Filey does have some good cafes too, but if I recall correctly the cafe at Filey Railway station closed a few years ago.

17. Bikerman

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Immature ejaculation, like premature ejaculation only I have a tantrum after...

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Great bikes to go for a ride out. How do you find the MV. Always in the back of my mind that I would like one but purely based on the looks. Not sure my body could take an extreme riding position anymore

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good write up @Octoberon and I love the photos :):)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1