Breakdown Insurance Renewal

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Ken walburn, Jan 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    My TTR is a year old on 1st March. Have had a letter from Triumph in association with RAC offering cover for £75, (first year was free) which seems a little bit excessive to me. However, having checked 'go compare' sites, I can get cheap cover but. With caveats attached I.e. Only one claim a year permitted, or excess of £40 on each claim, 10 mile restriction for recovery in the event of puncture/ tyre damage etc etc. Just wondering what cover & who you lovely people on the forum pay Your precious pennies to.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have full family vehicle breakdown with rac covers 4 of us separately in any vehicle, I think there is a limit to the amount of call outs tho, cost me around £175

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

And who said romance is dead??:heart_eyes::heart:

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    I have used recuemycar.com for a number of years for car breakdown, they do motorcycle breakdown and you can get an instant online quote. Always found them great to deal with and never any problems.
    My bike is insured with Carol Nash who include breakdown cover with their policies, but if I didn’t have that I would consider rescuemycar.
    Read a few good reviews recently on Start Rescue.co.uk but cannot comment other than the reviews and their prices seem competitive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. youngy

youngy Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Peterborough
    multi vehicle as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I either insure with Carole Nash or Bennett's. Play one off against the other.

Both offer RAC cover as an added extra. Always thought prices were very reasonable so I've always just added it on. They dealt with a mates breakdown in France very professionally a while back.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Just been looking at terms & conditions on RAC. Exclusions: Punctures/ Tyres on motorcycles. So I phoned them & explained that if a motorcycle gets a puncture that is in my book classified as a breakdown. The response was: If you have a puncture we will attempt to repair roadside, if not successful, we will recover motorcycle to nearest tyre stockist. Again in small print must be within 10 miles! So now I'm really confused :worried:

8. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Just been looking at terms & conditions on RAC. Exclusions: Punctures/ Tyres on motorcycles. So I phoned them & explained that if a motorcycle gets a puncture that is in my book classified as a breakdown. The response was: If you have a puncture we will attempt to repair roadside, if not successful, we will recover motorcycle to nearest tyre stockist. Again in small print must be within 10 miles! So now I'm really confused :worried:

9. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Ken you've just reminded me when I called on the RAC for a punctured bike tyre some years back.

On a Sunday ride out with the rats somewhere near the Welsh borders. We, the bike gang, nor the RAC man could repair the tyre. Being a Sunday, with nowhere open, I was relayed back home to Birmingham. The " job " was left open until the next day and by mutual arrangement with another RAC patrol man I was relayed to my Triumph dealer for a new tyre. All in all excellent service. There was never any mention of a 10 mile limit.

Hope this will put your mind at rest a bit. :)

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    I renewed my Triumph recovery 6 months after the year was over for 75 pounds, when it was due I already had cover with Greenflag until December so rang the call line and asked if I could delay renewal until my Greenflag cover ran out, they agreed and told me that after the initial year the cover becomes "personal" cover for you in any car or bike so a no brainer. Be aware that to get the low price it is on auto renewal meaning they write to you 6 weeks before renewal with a price so if you're not happy with the deal cancel it.
    Cheers, Pete

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Happily I have any vehicle AA cover with my bank account. Used it once in nearly 40 yrs......

12. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    www.vehicle-rescue.com
    VEHICLE RESCUE DIRECT.
    Any vehicle under 16yrs old.
    We've been with them for years now, @ £38 not surprising!
    They have been bloody good, never charged us for change of vehicle or address, some times both in the same policy year.
    Very few limitations, o.k. with bike punctures too, I've checked.
    Key cover included.
    Very helpful if you phone them with any questions or queries.
    I have 2yrs Full AA cover included on the Honda, still have it with the car and will cover the Honda when the AA/Honda contract expires.
    Terry

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. GPT100

GPT100 Active Member

Sep 13, 2016
    East Durham Coast
    I use Rescuemycar been with them for years, had a puncture on the T100 about 2 miles from home, they picked the bike up and took it home no bother.

• Useful Useful x 2
  14. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Thanks, still working on it. Can get multi car/bike offer with RAC for £45 using our Tesco vouchers. Not due til end Feb so will make decision soon :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

That’s good to know :)
    I’ve been with them probably 10yrs or more...just never had to call on them :)

16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Should have called them out at Bellingham when your BPOS would'nt start! :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    I found the cheapest option for me which is to include EU breakdown was to insure through Carol Nash where it's include in the policy.
    Premiums are slightly higher but not as much as the total cost of the cheapest insurance with the cheapest EU breakdown cover purchased separately.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I have renewed with the RAC every year since my 1st free year and still seems a very good deal as it covers both my bikes and car plus anything else I’m in as it’s personal not specific vehicle cover. It’s kept around the £75 mark if you pay on continuous arrangement otherwise it’s an extra £20 odd. Cheaper than everything else I looked at last year. Hope useful cheers

19. ric

ric New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    DL15AQ
    Ken, Go to Karol Nash for ins,