Breakdown Cover.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Cooper, Dec 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

#1 David Cooper, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    My Rocket trike mudguard bracket broke, on a ride home from Stanhope to the East coast of Durham , Iv'e had breakdown cover from the RAC for twenty years and this was the first time I'd phoned them, I sat there for 3 hours and when they eventually arrived the RAC bloke hadn't a clue how to load a trike on his truck, he wanted to tie a strap round the forks and winch it up, but as it weighs 470 kilo's I wouldn't agree in case it bent the forks, so after another hour he put a device round the front wheel and got it on the truck, I won't be renewing my membership with them next year, so who's the best breakdown cover in your opinion?.

2. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    I use the AA had them pick up my trike about 5 years a go no problem .
    Tucker

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Crap news David, guess you only get to find out how good they are when you really need them and, touch wood, I haven't had to test them so far but I've got cover with my insurance through Carole Nash.

• Like Like x 3
  4. David Cooper

Subscriber

I already had RAC cover when I insured the Rocket Trike, but I'll probably get it in with my insurance policy next year.

5. David Cooper

Subscriber

I got a letter saying they would would increase my fee next year, even though my trike is registered separately from my car, this was my first call out in twenty year's so they can go feck themselves, my loyalty with them has totally gone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. David Cooper

Subscriber

You hit the nail on the head Jez, the patrolman said he'd never even seen a Rocket trike before, as it was just the mudguard hanging loose I offered to ride it onto the sloped truck, he said we were being watched by a camera on the front of the truck and it wasn't allowed on the grounds of heath and safety, snowflakes win again mate.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’ve just taken out cover with green flag for the car as it’s just run out of warranty and the breakdown cover expired with it and because I’ve changed the run flat tyres for proper ones with no spare or emergency inflator I need the reassurance of being able to get to a tyre depot ( who won’t have the size I need in stock but it’s better than being stranded at the side of the road) and you wouldn’t believe (or probably you would) the amount of “small print” exemptions in the “what’s not covered” column. Like DD says, it’s luck of the draw if they come to you quickly and get you going, or recovered, pronto.

• Like Like x 3
  8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Been with the RAC for ages, but at renewal time this year they wanted silly money - around the £100 mark if memory serves. Ended up with Green flag for around £49 or so for virtually identical cover. Comparison sites are your friend on these occasions. (The bike is covered under the terms of my insurance from that nice Carol Nash person).

• Like Like x 2
  9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    #9 Red Thunder, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Got my insurance renewal from Carol Nash for £240 which includes £62 for compulsory breakdown cover, I don't want this and would prefer cash in my pocket
    In the end I got renewal with Bikesure for £160

This got me thinking is breakdown cover really worth it, I have never had cover in 23 years of riding/driving and never broke down so maybe I am quids in at the moment

However, I understand that cover can be purchased if you do breakdown and get assistance/recovery if needed so why not just buy cover at the point you do breakdown

Also, checking prices and there are decent discounts/cash back through online cashback https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ which is almost 40% of the premium
    So in theory I could get clover for myself and daughter for £60 in whatever car/bike we are travelling through AA

I am looking at saving pennies at the monent but may get cover soon as my daughter is now starting to drive in her own (old) car

I guess if I can buy cover when it is needed why buy it beforehand

Just thinking out loud really

• Like Like x 1
  10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Nice one, Jez! That's m'boy!!:party:
    They tried something similar with me:mad: - I went to Green Flag.:p
    RAC car insurance renewal was north of £500 from around £250:mad: - change of address etc. so new premium.:rolleyes: Hastings Direct was around £220.:cool: No brainer!:)
    T'internet can be a pain in the arse, but it can also be a Yorkshireman's best mate:D. It more than pays for itself over a year.:grinning:

• Like Like x 2