Break Squeal Cure For Speed Twin?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Tosgha, Jun 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. destination

destination Member

May 12, 2017
    leicestershire
    touch wood mine seem to have stopped squealing,2500 miles

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #22 Iceman, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Hi all
    Brake squeal is a really common issue on bikes and cars, what is needed as a prevention is a careful cleaning regime, paying particular attention to remove all traces of brake dust and contamination,use brake cleaner, this will prevent the issue happening in the first place. Regarding the squeal, remove the pads and deglaze, then apply quality branded copper slip or similar product, you would be surprised at how cheaper products vary in quality, only ever use very sparingly and on the pad ends (the ones in contact with top and bottom of the calliper), don't get tempted to put it on the metal backing, it's important to make sure the pads go back to their original position (e.g. left one back to left). Even in summer use the calliper pistons can build with contamination, effectively making the piston slightly sticking, often going unnoticed even when wheeling the bike in and out of the garage etc. While the pads are out you can clean the brake piston with warm soapy water( don't use washing up liquid, it has salt in), a toothbrush is ideal. I have encountered this issue on thousands of vehicles over the years in a previous life as a vehicle technician. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. destination

destination Member

May 12, 2017
    leicestershire
    you do realise we are talking about bikes with less than 500 miles on the clock

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    My STRS started after a few hundred miles, it doesn't do it now, it only took 15 minutes from start to finish to sort it,my thoughts in the post was in general care and preventative measures, some make of calliper and pads are more prone to this issue than others, Brembo's often appear to play up, as mentioned not all makes do though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Do you work for Triumph?

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi all
    No I don't work for Triumph, I have worked for a number of franchises over the years in a past life though as workshop manager. There is no pattern as to why a machine develops the squealing, however it is more common than one would think, take the front brake V rear brake, wich one squeks (there is a little clue in this). Sat in my garage at present is a Panigale 1299s its due for the same brake pad recall as my Triumph, however it has never suffered brake squealing, and it has Brembo calipers and pads as you know, my neighbour has a Mercedes car that has brake squeal, I have offered to sort it for him, he is however not overly bothered and says it does not bother him, well we are all different. Listen to the bikes and sidecars braking round the TT circuit and S100 and you will hear squealing from the brakes on some machines and not others, especially from the sidecars, now these guys fastidiously care for their machines and they are scrutineered to the tenth end before going out. I am certainly not trying to say we all should have the cleaning regime I spoke of and would not dream of critising anyone, its an individual choice what we do and it was not my intention to cause offence to anyone.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    You didn't offend me either. But I agree with @Smilinjack , when you pay over £10k for a motorbike it should not have squealing brakes and more importantly you certainly should not have to clean the brakes after every ride....

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Both our speed twins brakes still squeal now n again, i know there is nothing wrong with there operation or performance and the exhaust burbles and cracks on deceleration all the time even more now i have drilled the baffles :) Still makes me smile every time we go out on them :)

• Like Like x 5