Break Squeal Cure For Speed Twin?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Tosgha, Jun 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tosgha

Tosgha Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing

Anyone seen this?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

#2 Dozers Dad, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    He's using far too much copperslip grease Tosgha. As seen at around 1 minute 20 seconds.
    If you change your pads. Just add a thin smear of grease.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member
    Subscriber

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Use high temperature grease not copper slip

4. bob1

bob1 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    I must have the only speed twin that doesn't suffer from brake squeal:)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Tosgha

Tosgha Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    Don't worry you'll notice I put a question mark in the title. I don't actually have a squeal problem on my bike, I spray the discs and brakes after every ride and nothing has happened up to now, done 1500 miles. But yes I laughed when I saw how much copper slip he had used. Also as he had changed the pads as well he doesn't really know which has provided the cure , the grease or the new pads.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tosgha

Tosgha Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    No you aren't :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. bob1

bob1 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    i cant see how brake pads can be the problem i read somewhere not sure if it was on here that some people have had to change discs and even the wheel to cure it which suggests the disc is warped or the mating surface on the wheel is not true.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    All in all a rather poor video, as previously mentioned he was rather over enthusiastic with the copper slip and also is comments about the calliper bolts is worrying, should make it clear that a torque wrench should be used to get the correct torque on these vital bolts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    #9 Wessa, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    I traded my speed twin within a few months of ownership because triumph would not provide a fix for the squealing brakes. I have said it in prrevious threads, it should not be down to owners to fix their squealing brakes :imp: on a £10k+ motorcycle. Triumph should recognise that there is a problem with this bike and provide a fix... rant over

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

I also noticed your spelling of brake. It didn't instil confidence. So I figured it was worth mentioning the excessive amount of copper grease being used in the video. Only trying to help & stop you making the same mistake Tosgha.

20200605_121800.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tosgha

Tosgha Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    yes spotted the spelling error before I submitted it but then my laptop crashed and it posted the original for some reason. I corrected it straight after 'onest guv'!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Tosgha

Tosgha Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    yes spotted the spelling error before I submitted it but then my laptop crashed and it posted the original for some reason. I corrected it straight after 'onest guv'! No offense taken and I only posted it as it seems to be a hot topic.

13. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

A thin smear of copper grease has been used on the rear of brake pads for decades & to great effect IMHO.
    In recent years I've read conflicting stories about its use (always on the interweb)
    I'll continue to use it until I experience any of the alleged negative effects.

As the guy in the video said. Often the squealing only starts at light levels of braking.
    i.e. when the pads aren't being clamped tightly against the disc. So they are allowed to vibrate in the caliper & resonate. Causing the annoying high pitched squealing sound.
    If the problem was with the discs. Then owners are far more likely to experience issues when the pads are clamped tightly to the discs.

@Wessa
    Did Triumph try the copper grease idea? Or did they just keep throwing discs & pads at your bike.
    I still find it bizarre that they couldn't cure the problem!

14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nope they cleaned them a few times, then replaced the discs and pads under warranty. All attempts created short term fix, but the problem returned. I agree with you @Dozers Dad cannot see why triumph cannot fix the problem :mad:

• Like Like x 2
  15. bob1

bob1 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    it strange that it only seems to happen with the speed twin

16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed...

17. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    Strange they just didn't provide a set of anti squeal shims to go between the pads and pistons. It's common practice in cars, would cost next to nothing and with a dab of copper grease solve the problem

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SPEEDY-T

SPEEDY-T Member

Jan 12, 2020
    DURHAM, ENGLAND.

19. SPEEDY-T

SPEEDY-T Member

Jan 12, 2020
    DURHAM, ENGLAND.
    It’s weird that it’s not all Speed Twins. 1300 miles on mind now and not a squeak out of the front brake.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jet City

Jet City Active Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Mine squeals like a banshee!

I love the bike, let’s be clear. It’s extraordinarily good, and I have owned a LOT of outstanding motorcycles.

I’ve tried different pads, deep cleaning, even took it to the dealer and said “fix it I don’t care what it costs.”

But no luck. It’s a new model, they will sort it eventually. ;)