Brake Squeal Fix

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Glen C, Sep 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glen C

Glen C Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Windsor
    I recently took my 2016 T120 into my local dealer for a service, when asked if I had any issues with the bike I said I have an occasional squeal from the front brake unit. I was told Triumph had a fix for this problem involving replacing the front wheel, brake discs and pads which was totally free.

I had the mod done today and so far no squeal.

Just thought I would mention this if others had the same problem - Triumph have a free fix.

Glen

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Sounds a bit radical to me!
    A bit of copper slip behind the pads and the anti rattle clips might have done the job?
    I could easily be totally wrong though, again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PaulCas

PaulCas Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2018
    West Yorks
    Seems a bit OTT for a squeaky brake!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glen C

Glen C Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Windsor
    I assume you have never had this problem as its more of a judder with a squealing noise. Obviously Triumph have recognised its a design problem and have came up with a fix. The new wheel has a kind of rubber damper behind each brake disc.

Glen

• Like Like x 2
  5. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    No, I have never experienced this, I don't even own a T120 !
    A judder with accompanying squeal sounds like a different issue to just a squeal and render my initial observations off target.
    As I said, I could be totally wrong and clearly was!
    But who cares, you got your bike fixed and Triumph came out of it with credit as well, everyone's a winner!

• Like Like x 3
  6. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    Well if Triumph are offering this as a fix, they are not doing much to publicise it. I have this problem too sometimes on my T120 (it's worse when it's wet) but when I mentioned it to my local dealer, I was told virtually that "they all do that sir"....

• Like Like x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Go back and show them your findings :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Does sound extreme for a simple issue

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Don’t think it’s a warranty thing :confused:
    Triumph have had a long look at this and have all but admitted that it’s a design fault :(
    Might be worth asking the question mate :)
    You say you can live with it but you might want to sell it in the future :confused:
    Besides I’m sure you could live with a a new wheel and brakes as well :grinning:
    Like I said mate.....worth asking about :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Triumph I hold in the highest regard. I have had tremendous support from them. I took my Sprint to a dealer I no longer use. It was the 500 mile service when I picked the bike up there was a big scratch down the side fairing. I told the salesman it was damaged. He said we didn't do that so I ask for the manager who said we don't do thing like that sir and take your trade somewhere else I hit him with the keys and called my wife to pick me up after telling him he would repair the bike or refund me. I phoned Triumph who said where's the problem we will supply a new fairing and they did a complete fairing. I picked the bike up and from that day on the bike would stall and cut out. Again I spoke to Triumph who sent a test rider out to give it a spin. when he returned he said don't ride that machine Triumph would be in touch. They phoned me the next day and asked if they could pick it up and take it to Jack Lilly's. A couple of days later I popped in to the shop and ask about the bike and was told there's a brand new machine sitting out side for you we are just fitting your accessories. That is only one of about three times I have contacted Triumph and every time I was totally satisfied with there assistance. And I guess there something They are not happy with because it's going to cost a packet to fix the problem for everyone my 1200 squealed as well. My 900 has a whine from the rear must ask about that
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 4
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

@Gazzatriumph
    In fairness to triumph like I said they seem to have admitted that it’s a design fault but not a safety issue :confused:
    Therefore it hasn’t been addressed by way of a recall to these bikes but if it was my bike I would want to take advantage of any goodwill gesture offered by Triumph and have the redesigned front wheel and brakes fitted :) by all accounts and from what I’ve read in this forum and other places the brake squeal can develop into quite an horrific noise sounding like an HGV truck :eek:
    I would do some research mate and see what can be done :)
    Perhaps CMC could assist you with this? it shouldn’t cost them or yourself anything if Triumph are offering this :)
    A new wheel :grinning:...no rusty spokes:grinning:
    New brakes :grinning:...no squealing :grinning:
    No brainer mate....ask :p
    My bike NUDGER (18 Speedmaster) has a spoked front wheel with twin disks and I’ve noticed that the disks appear to be mounted on some sort of rubber mount/backing plate type of set up :confused: I think this is what you get with the new/modified wheel for your bike :grinning:

Just ask mate :p
    Shy bairns get NOWT :sob:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Martin Joseph Lowe

Martin Joseph Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    Hi,
    Thanks for that post-due a service,under warranty also..and have that squeak!! That will be sorted on the strength of your flag!
    Cheers,
    Martin

• Like Like x 1
  13. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Check on the VOSA site just incase it was a recall.
    If it was print it off and stick it under the dealers nose

14. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I did that and it isn’t mentioned, only summat about fuel and fires. o_O

• Like Like x 1
  15. bernard j czech

Jan 17, 2020
    coal township Pa
    #15 bernard j czech, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    older i see, but besides the damper fitted to 18 from the factory on many are upgrading to the fair priced T100 floating discs, they are a tad thinner + quite a bit lighter + most report the squeal is gone. on the 18s on most just remove the "rubber" that fits into the curvy OE discs, earlier ones have a different ineffective damper i believe.