Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Dougie D, Jan 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    just wondering if folk are sticking to OEM pads? and where are you guys getting them from?

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Mine came with the bike :joy:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Just replied to a similar post in 'tech'
    I'll be changing to EBC HH sintered pads soon, used them before and was impressed .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I find the OEM ones to be great,i don't tend to go through many pads as I use the engine braking most of the time,this will be the first set I've bought for the speed triple, so depending on price I might just stick with the OEMs

• Like Like x 1
  5. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'll be sticking with Brembo OEM pads, had discs and pads replaced under warranty at 1st year service due to (very slight) warped discs. It seems for whatever reason discs are a bit suspect on Speed Triples (IMO) as this fault is not uncommon, dealers recommend OEM (they would wouldn't they) claiming higher disc wear with other brands - which might well be complete BS.
    But I'm very pleased with the 'feel' in standard spec, I used EBC HH on my SprintST many moons ago and found them to feel a bit wooden, so why fix something if it ain't broke.
    Personal preference at the end of the day, haven't needed to replace yet so don't know what the price difference is?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I just bought some oil from Opie oils today as they have 15% off on top of their usual discount..code MERRYXMAS (Ends Tomorrow) so hopefully I can find someone who's doing the pads at a good price

7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    phoned up those guys for pads(bikehps.com) and they were saying that the ones they recommend (Brembo) £124 are a lot cheaper than the OEM ones .i didn't think they were that cheap so i phoned the nearest Triumph dealer and they quoted only £110 for an OEM set (also Brembo)! Does that sound about right for price?
    brembo pads.JPG

• WTF WTF x 1
  8. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I haven't needed to research it yet but I suspect the 'SC' grade described as 'fast road & track use' they're offering might be a harder grade than OEM. If so they may feel similar to the EBC HH, I personally don't normally brake hard so they probably don't get up to temperature and thus don't give me the feel I'm looking for.
    Took a photo when I was servicing the bike earlier for reference, the OEM pad part number is on the back (TT2910HH)

IMAG0991.jpg

Just done a quick search, £110 seems the going rate.
    But found these slightly cheaper at £90

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Wouldn't bother with the SC for road use, as you quite rightly say they need temperature to work well & unless you are constantly hard on the brakes into corner after corner then they won't get to get the temperature into them.
    I found this when I road my mates race bike on track to do my ACU licence, where I was just riding steady to pass the course the brakes were bloody awful, I asked him about them & he told me they only work when you're riding hard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i think you're right, i'm just going to stick with the OEM ones, after checking my pads again i've still got a fair bit left,cant believe how long i get out of brake pads!:)

• Like Like x 2
  11. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    #11 topbanana0, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'd completely agree with you.......if I hadn't had a less than ideal experience with EBC HH on a previous bike.
    As is often the case it's down to personal preference.
    It's an expensive hobby we indulge in and I wouldn't spoil my enjoyment for the sake of £50 over the 3 - 4 years I get out of a set of pads.
    Same with tyres, I could fit tyres with better mileage and a little less grip and/or feel and save a few quid but it would spoil the fun.
    Instead I'll shop around for cheaper insurance, change my electricity supplier etc......there's no fun to be spoilt there. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Yeah I get what your saying.
    But looking at it that way, triumph will sell you a rear Pirelli, Supercors for £412, even ONE balance weight for £7.
    A good quality part (oil filter, air filter, brake pads) should be fine.

14. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Sportsbikeshop are selling EBC HH pads for £17.12 per pair for Tridents and similar at the moment. Until I get the bike out I'm not sure if I need any, but could be worth having them in reserve as mine have been in for quite some time.

15. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, I don't buy my tyres (Metzeler M7RR's) or pads (Brembo) from Triumph dealers, been a couple of years since I darkened their doors :), as I do all my own maintenance (which saves loads). Unfortunately it seems no one is discounting Brembo pads at the moment (apart from £20 off at the link I posted).
    I do stick with Triumph oil filters though, there are posts on this forum where pattern parts (with hex head plate welded on) have leaked.

16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Wtf is going on with the price of Brembo pads for the triple that’s shocking,I’ve yet to replace any on my 2011 11,000 odd miles but rear need done soon,I’ve used ebc hh pads for years on several bikes why the high price for Brembo ? ,is it related to the abs or the triumph genuine discs for some reason normally would get good branded pads but now not sure what to buy.

18. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    #18 chuk, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Yes I’ve used the gold ferns before but that was a lightweight cr250 motocrosser,don’t mind paying for the ebc pads as they are well known and I’ve used them with armstrong stainless discs on my zrx 1100,just can’t fathom why the Brembo s are so expensive I mean it’s only pads ffs unless anyone has a genuine reason why they would buy Brembo pads,I.e disc warping/scoring/excessive wear of genuine discs etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Speed Triples haven't got Brembo's on the rear.

20. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I was just looking at the prices all round front and back couldn’t believe the differences,bikes needing clean up as went out to callender Sunday fucking freezing,Caliper on back due a clean n new pads that’s a job for days of sat sun.

• Like Like x 1