Brake Pad Upgrade

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Uncle Ben, Aug 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Alberta, Canada
    I have a 2016 speed triple R, only 2000kms on the bike. But my brakes don’t seem to have good initial bite. I was wondering if a brake pad upgrade would be a good option.

I heard that the new pads on the 2019 Rs are an upgrade over the current pads I have.

Also considering ebc double H sintered pads. I ran them on my fz07 and thought they offered decent performance.

What are you guys running for brake pads?

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    EBC HH sintered pads in my Trident 900. Is there anything else??!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    I have used SBS (SC) pads and found them to be excellent (on a Honda) but wear quickly
    BTW if you have Brembos - HPS do various compounds so you could try a a different compound to suit your riding style.
    The HH compound is better for high speed / sustained use (higher temp)
    if you are braking gently and want more bite from cold HH may not be the best choice. You could contact HPS and ask their advice.
    https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Motorcycle_Braking.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    If it's only done 2000 miles remove the pads and clean them with 800 grit paper on a flat glass plate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    #5 RSReggie, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Yes, good idea, assuming they have gone off and you were never happy with them.. Alternatively carry out some hard barking from speed
    to remove the surface . If you are using them too gently they may have glazed in which case HH pads is not what you need .

• Like Like x 1
  6. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Alberta, Canada
    Decided to order a set of EBC HPFA HH pads. They worked well on my FZ07, and I can’t see why they wouldn’t be great on the speed triple. And there really isn’t a lot of info on other options.

• Like Like x 1
  7. splodge

splodge New Member

Aug 21, 2017
    York
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Give them a good scrape before replacing, they may be slightly polished which loses performance

• Like Like x 1