Born Again Biker (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Rocker Keith, Sep 14, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    Hi all I’m a born again biker aged 72 after a 20 year break from biking and an original rocker back in the sixties, I’ve owned loads of bikes of different makes over the years my last bike being a Honda Blackbird it’s probably the best bike I’ve ever ridden and owned, l gave it to my son in 2001 who has only now just sold it with 180k on the clock, l decided to finish my biking days the way l started on a Triumph so l took delivery of a brand new Bonneville T120 two weeks ago.
    I chose the Bonny for its sit up position and to keep the wait off my wrists (being an old bugger) my initial thoughts on the bike are varied and at this early time and as I’ve only done 100miles so far will no doubt change hopefully for the better.
    The build quality and finish are top drawer and it looks the dogs do dahs I’ve had many compliments and have found myself opening the garage door just to look at
    The riding of it I’ve found is excellent when it’s up and running but below 20mph in heavy traffic it’s very snatchy and dangerous at times, I’m told if l get a booster plug at £150 it will fix it, l understand Triumph have to meet the euro emissions in their production but to produce a bike with a slow speed problem and expect you to fit a booster plug to solve it is not on.
    My next gripe is the absence of the centre stand on this years model come on Triumph what’s going on it’s a retro bike the last thing l want is to keep wheeling it up and down the drive just to lube the chain, so now I’ve had to order one at £300 with vat
    My last gripe and hopefully the last one is it’s the first bike I’ve ever owned where I’ve got to take the bloody silencers and rear foot pegs off just to adjust the chain, I’m told if l buy a 12 and 13mm special angled spanner’s at £50 each l could avoid the strip down, well if that’s the case Triumph why ain’t they in the toolbox you know we have to adjust the chain and lube it regularly.
    If anyone knows where I can get these angled 12 and 13mm spanner’s from at a reasonable price l would really appreciate it.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there!
    These?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-20698-12mm-Obstruction-Spanner/dp/B0002BUKD4

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Welcome, Bienvenue.
    You just gave me hope for the next 20 years !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    you’re welcome mate

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Hells yeah, dude. Give it spurs!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rocker Keith
    Welcome to the family. Do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and show of the steed. My 900 i have just cut and grinded a 12 and 13 ml spanner and they fit great.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    Hi Joe thanks for that I’m gonna give it a try, thought l might even try cutting a bit out of a ring spanner and see if that works cheers mate

12. Iron

Iron Guest

Get the fire onto a straight one and bash with very large hammer :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    All I’ve got is a Zippo mate but thanks the idea is good

14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Welcome Rocker Keith, it's great to see another sixties rocker on the forum, passed my test in 67 and like you have owned a lot of different machines over the years (over 80 in fact), hours spent fixing and modifying the things back then, all part of the experience at the time. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "born again biker" as once a biker always a biker, it never leaves your soul. I definitely miss the freedom we had back in the day compared to what we have today, there were cultures and sub cultures back then with a history we can look back on with mostly fond memories.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Keith and welcome to the forum:cool: I have found rain mode is perfect for removing the snatchy throttle at low speeds, which feels fine around town.
    :p Best of luck sorting your issues

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    Hi mate thanks for the reply and advice I’ve not even tried the rain mode yet so will give it a go

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    Hi iceman 100% agree with you I’ve often thought back to those days and the brilliant times we had if only we could have them back eh l remember telling my parents l was going all night fishing on many occasions only to sling my gear around my mates house and then bugger off up the Ace cafe all night where we would drink tea and race our bikes up and down the North Circular all night, it’s funny really in those days for many it was all about getting as much speed as possible out of your bike and spending most of your wages as well doing it.
    If we’d have had the bikes that we’ve got today back then we’d have probably all killed ourselves thanks again for your reply stay safe

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    Thanks mate I’ll have a go at that

19. Rocker Keith

Rocker Keith New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Essex
    • Like Like x 1