Bonnieville T100 Performance

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by fifthwheel, Oct 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fifthwheel

fifthwheel New Member

Aug 19, 2019
    pontefract
    Hi all, thinking ahead before buying a bigger bike. I am just starting to get a bit more cocky at filtering with my little YBR 125 doodlebug after passing my test in Sept.
    I soon bottle out before getting to the front of the queue as my bike could soon get eaten by an enthusiastic car driver and leave me with egg on my face.
    I realise this will always be the case if other bikes are already sitting waiting as there will always be someone faster than me.
    I am not wanting to enter into any kind of wacky racing but would the modern T100 get me away from most cars at the lights if need be.
    I dont mind tucking in behind somebody faster but there is nothing clever about pushing to the front and then finding a Granny in a Micra making me look a prick. John.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A late starter, I see.......

If you have spent so much of your motoring career on four wheels it can be a revelation to discover the acceleration of even quite modest motorcycles. Their aerodynamics are not so favourable at higher road speeds but their power to weight ratio is a major asset. You just need to be conscious of road surfaces and the available contact patches when it comes to changing speed and direction.

You don’t specify which generation T100 you have in mind but there is minimal practical difference in performance; both are in hairy chested car territory up to the national speed limit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hi n welcome :) any chance your profile name has anything to do with your job.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fifthwheel

fifthwheel New Member

Aug 19, 2019
    pontefract
    Thanks everybody for the replies, I hope Iv'e not given the idea of me wanting to be a boy racer but I had really no idea how a T100 performs. As you all know some drivers that are capable of seeing you off try to play with you sometimes keeping you at the side of the car. I have to admit its not happened to me but I have seen it done. As for the fifthwheel forum name yes I have been involved in heavy earthmoving plant and transport all my life. In semi retirement I supported mobile cranes transporting ballast and mats with my own trucks. Thanks john.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Fifthwheel.
    Two nights ago I was going through Maidenhead. Coming around a roundabout one of those fang dangled Audi's pulled out he had right of way of course. He saw my 2010 865 and started snorting his exhaust sounded lovely. I went up the side of him gave the Bonnie two rather nice Blips of the throttle and took of and almost wheelied something I don't do. But bless him he tried to stay with me but I won. Mind you when I passed some cars it slowed him down. But any car like that I search for a bendy road they find it very difficult to corner like a bike.
    Ride SAFE & Enjoy
    Joe.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Yep, it'll be fine.
    Love mine and I have much quicker bikes. If you like to accessorize consider the model before the current one, there's lots more parts available. Having said that, the current model apparently has some worthwhile upgrades. Great fun and 68mpg while you do it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    In answer to your question, this post from Forchetto on the RATforum would seem appropriate!

Bonneville performance. Is it good enough?
    The way road testers and the less discerning and ill-informed riders of inferior machinery criticise our Bonnies, you'd think they were slugs, but the Bonneville is no slouch really. It might be compared with the current crop of sports bikes capable of mile-long wheelies and tyre-shredding burnouts, but consider its real world power, torque and performance parameters and it should satisfy 95% of sensible, mature, God-fearing, law-abiding riders [​IMG]:

For example, for the SE the factory claims 67 bhp (50kw) @7500 rpm and 50 ft/lbs (68Nm) @5800 rpm . These figures are at the crankshaft. For comparison, the original Honda CB750 that turned the motorcycling world on its head and introduced us to the "Superbike" apellation also produced 67 bhp. We were impressed then.

Rear wheel figures as dyno-tested by Rider Magazine August 2009 are 40.9 lb-ft of torque at 2,600 rpm with its peak coming at 44.7 lb-ft at 6,500 rpm. This is a very satisfying flat torque curve. Note that 90% of available torque is produced at just 2600 rpm. It pulls like an steam engine in any gear.

In terms of power at the rear wheel the Bonneville is making 40 horsepower by 5,000 rpm, 50 by 6,000 rpm and peaks at 58.6 horses at 7,400 rpm.

This, for a weight ready to ride of 496lbs(225Kg) is not too bad and gives pretty respectable acceleration and top speed figures as follows (Cycle World road test):

0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
    Standing 1/4 mile: 13.24 sec. @ 100.66 mph
    Top speed: 115 mph

The 0-60 and quarter-mile figures are similar to another British legend, the Aston Martin Vantage, by the way...

• Like Like x 5
  8. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Welcome to the forum
    Ive had quite a few Triumphs, including a Bonneville SE.
    Whilst it was not the fastest accelerating of them, it certainly wasn't a slouch.
    As others have said it will get you away from the lights and into trouble..... no problem!
    The style of bike made me ride it in a very laid back wayo_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Headgame

Headgame New Member

Aug 25, 2019
    On an Island in Thailand

10. Headgame

Headgame New Member

Aug 25, 2019
    On an Island in Thailand
    Perhaps my experience may help you to make a decision. I just turned 75 and traded up to a new 2019 T100 in August. As most have stated, not a fast bike by any means and very easy to ride. But not being fast doesn't mean that it isn't a blast to ride and as others have said, faster than most cars, trucks, etc. I only started riding a. couple of years ago and went from a Honda 150 RR to a Yamaha R3 and then the Triumph. I don't have many regrets in my life but not riding earlier is one of them. You'll make no mistakes with the T100. Go for it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. swampy61

swampy61 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Shropshire
    Performance figures are very similar to the original Rd350lc...

• Like Like x 1