Bonnie Moan

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by BonnieCat, May 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Not sure DD. It needs adjusting now (it’s quite sloppy) but I’m not touching it as it’s due the 800km service now. Hoping to book it in very soon. To be honest now I have the VStrom Betty is going to be a dry summer ride only

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    It's a self locking type, almost a "Nyloc" type nut.
    The chain seems too long on these bikes to me, or they've fitted a smaller sprocket, or both! :worried:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You need a cranked spanner

B32996CE-35BF-42E7-8DC9-3508BF87F967.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
  5. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Wow that’s incredible. Did Triumph do the design for Peugeot. :cool:;)
    Yes that’s why I bought the VStrom. Much better all round (except in the looks department). I think this Bonnie will be my last Triumph.

6. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    #25 H.O., May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    When I got my 03 Bonnie it had a new chain fitted, 08 had nearly new chain too, adjusters seemed a long way back, but it did allow me to fit 19t front sprockets on both with still plenty of rear adjustment room, so not all bad, i'd bet that was just co-incidence and not by design though!
    I used a A.F 15/16 x 1" open ended Britool spanner for the nut, better fit than all my metric ones for some reason.
    To take the back wheel out I did need to take off both silencers though, PITA, but then I found I'd 'lost' my tube of heat resistant silicone sealant, so used ordinary silicone and it worked as well as 'heat resistant' and used it on both bikes.
    Oh, and those fkcuing seat screws.................

7. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    My '17 T100 had a pathetically small amount of adjustment on it from new as well. Another Triumph money making scheme it seems - make sure the chain has to be replaced much sooner than needed by not giving the user enough adjustment capacity.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Toddy

Toddy Member

Sep 14, 2014
    Near Gatwick, in Surrey.
    Does anyone know if Triumph monitor this forum? The Land Rover forum I'm involved with has a section for contacting Land Rover Customer Service.

Aside from the issues in this thread [crazy having to remove the cans to adjust the chain], I'd like to know why they thought 12 litres was enough fuel for the Street Scrambler [7 litres for the Bobber!]. Unless they know the seats are crap and thought they'd give us a chance to massage our asses whilst refilling the tank. And why aren't the indicators self cancelling on a 2017 bike. I know the indicators are my responsibility but, occasionally, I get distracted and leave them on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Whenever you do adjust your chain by matching up the markers by the two adjustment screws - remember to tighten them both to 5Nm - otherwise they will work loose.

10. Jerican68

Jerican68 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2017
    Victoria BC
    I had the seat with a white pin stripe around the edge, I’ve just changed it for a BC slammer, and I’ve been out riding for 6 hours plus, no problem, on that original seat.

11. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    With the correct tools chain adjustment can be done in a few minutes. OK so it took me about 5, I stopped halfway through to gulp down a luke warm cup of Earl Grey.
    It’s not the silencers which are the problem, it’s getting hold of the right tools in the first place so you don’t have to remove them. I modified a set of old ring spanner’s.

12. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    clears my pipes no problem however they do come at a cost @ £400 quid from Norman Hyde

IMG_5865.JPG

13. Andreas_CH

Andreas_CH Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Switzerland, Rapperswil
    Not entirely sure why everyone is complaining about the standard seat ... :neutral:
    I've just done a 6-day tour on my 2018 T100 along the Grand Tour here in Switzerland, over mountain passes, cobblestone streets, broken up country side roads, driving some 5-6 hours per day. Yes, the suspension is a bit rough - but then it's no BMW GS, so what do you expect. So apart from being a bit of a bumpy ride at times, I had no problems whatsoever with the seat or my ass. Btw I'm weighing 170 pounds if that matters to this discussion.

Andreas