Bonnie Engine

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by mick nash, Sep 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mick nash

mick nash New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    essex
    Hi everyone,
    I have not run my 1964 bonnie for over 15 years. I have just drained the old oil and have found a split needle bearing in the bottom of the tray.
    Not being a Triumph head, I wonder if there are any needle roller bearings in the engine. I can only think maybe small end bearings.
    help please

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I assume you found the roller in oil drained from the crankcase as it couldn't find its way into the oil tank, if that is the case then someone has fallen foul of barroom talk and converted there engine to roller cam cages which is about the biggest crime you can do to a Triumph engine, or did you drain the gearbox as well as there are needles in there.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mick nash

mick nash New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    essex
    Thanks for the quick reply. the bike was bought by a USA airman when posted in England, then posted to Alaska and then back to England. it is in dead original condition and I doubt anyone has modded anything. Just one previous owner.
    have not drained the gbox yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Most needle roller cam conversions have been done by the Americans :-( certainly no needles in the standard crankcase, although later engines did have a roller bearing on the primary drive side of the crank but thats far larger than needle roller.

• Like Like x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Mick Nash
    Welcome to the family. We need a picture of the steed to feed our passion. Can't help you out on the question. But Darkman is seldom wrong so you are in safe hands. Do try to take a picture of the roller and lets have a look.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 1