Bonnie Coming Nex Week

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by BykerBry, Aug 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BykerBry

BykerBry Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    Well she's here, delivered yesterday. Managed to grab a quick ride yesterday and found it very pleasant. Spent today doing some polishing and tidying and fitted a few bits and pieces. It was very clean but dealers never polish a bike like the owner do they? Wheels are bright and shiny but a bit pitted. Any suggestions on how to get a brilliant shiny wheel.? Same goes for engine casings. Might get some chrome ones . So far so good, enjoying my new toy.

IMG_6270.JPG

IMG_6255.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Very nice mate, enjoy...............................................................

3. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    Thanks big lad, I certainly will

4. TriBriBon

TriBriBon Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    UK
    Looking good Bry, when I bought my first bonnie the engine cases were nearly white with corrosion.
    I stripped them with Nitromors paint stripper to make sure there wasn't any lacquer on them and then set about sanding with wet and dry.
    I see you have black crank cases, so be careful, I actually masked mine up.
    It's a long laborious job, I started with 600 grit and worked slowly up to 2500 grit, and then Solvol Autosol.
    A job best left for the winter months.
    Wheels can be done the same way.
    I've progressed a bit since then and bought a polishing machine, I've just finished my downpipes on my current Bonnie, and I'm really pleased with the result, the stainless has come up better than chrome.
    My engine cases are chrome so no deep polishing needed, just a weekly going over with Belgom Chromes.
    I do miss polishing the alloy cases though.

Enjoy the bike Bry.

Ride safe.

TBB.

5. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    Thanks for the advice TBB. I will have a go at the wheels but the downpipes are quite corroded so mightvreplace those and I like the idea of chrome casings so may go for those as well. That's all part of the fun ain't it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Solvol + wire wool on your wheels. Seems to work on mine (but not the black bits - that would be silly!). Then lather them in wax polish. Oooh ... such fun!!:grinning:

7. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    Thnaks Steve. Is their a grade of wire wool. I was thinking about wet and dry.

8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    There probably are different grades, but I'm not privy to them.
    Hmm ... I guess that's not too helpful, but then again it may not be too important. I think mine is a bit finer than a de-soaped Brillo pad. Well ... it's a starting point!:confused:

9. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    Thanks. I was thinking about a Brillo pad.

10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
  11. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    Thanks. I was thinking about a Brillo pad.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

12. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    What's the secret to getting it onto the main stand? I am struggling. My Gold Wing was easier than this.

13. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    A late welcome Bry. Congratulations on the new bike, very nice !

14. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    Thanks Angus. I am looking forward to my first Triumph.

15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Stand on it! Little more effort then required.

16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum.
    When putting the bike on the centre stand all the effort should be in your foot! Stand slightly towards the back of the bike and push down hard!

17. TriBriBon

TriBriBon Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    UK
    Bry, sorry I should have been a little more specific, I use all manner of materials ranging from, wet and dry, steel wool, abrasive nylon pads ( Pan Scouer's ) Solvo Autosol, both for alloy and stainless steel, Mother's is another good product for mirror finish.

Always use warm soapy water when using wet and dry paper, and let it pre soak for 10/15 mins.
    Don't start off to with to aggressive paper though, or you'll end up polishing out your mistakes before they look like you want.
    Halfords do mixed packs, try and get some with 1200 grit and try that, start a small area on a wheel rim then go up to 1500, 2000 even 2500 if you can get some, then polish with some Solvo.

You mention changing the engine cases, why not try taking off the front sprocket cover and tackle that one first, you might be pleasantly surprised at the finish you can get.

Blimey, I'm starting to sound like an anorak, must be time to walk the dog.

TBB.

18. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    A bit late, but welcome aboard Bry. I've also got one of those 2010 blue and white SEs. Lovely bikes.

19. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire
    Hi Rich, the blue/white colour scheme was my first choice and I am very pleased with it - real retro 60s look. I have now done some 500 miles and have really bonded with the bike. Love the ride, so easy and pleasant.

I have added chrome engine covers all round, all found on eBay at a fraction of the new prices and she looks a treat. I really could not be bothered with all that polishing so went for the chrome and glad I did. Also just added a gel seat and a few other bits and that's all done now. Just bought a used seat cowl off eBay and will have it painted and fit it when I am in a cafe racer mood. Not sure I want it on all the time but we will see what it looks like when it's done. Thinking about having it leather covered in blue and white leatherette as that might be a bit different .

So far so good and I am thoroughly enjoying my Triumph experience. Here's a pic of the bike now.

Ride safe my friend!

IMG_6519.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  20. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I was going to sell mine (I have too many bikes atm) so took it for its MOT a couple of weeks back and fell in love with it again. So keeping my SE and parting with the Tiger I was going to keep for winter and wet weather commuting (I took the rear fender off my Street Twin). So I need to do a bit more on mine now. I like the idea of the chrome covers. I'll look in to that. The alu ones get pitted if you don't keep on top of the cleaning, and I didn't winter 2015/16.

Check out the GMU thread in the Lounge. A bunch of ttf reprobates are meeting up in Wales next July.

Here's mine at the DGR on Sunday. The Ikon rear shocks make a difference.

DGR6.jpg

• Like Like x 1