Bonneville Wont Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by herbie, May 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. herbie

herbie New Member

May 23, 2017
    frome,somerset
    hello people
    having a p[problem with my 2013 Bonneville carb version. first thought it was a flat battery as had clicking noise but starter wouldn't turn over. when charged started ok, went for a spin filled up with fuel. then I stopped for coffee later for about 30 mins bike wouldn't start no life what so ever not even a click. manage to bump start and get home. but ever since all I get is lights come on fuel pump primes but when I press the start switch nothing at all. I have fitted a new battery and I can start by linking the poles on the solenoid, does this mean I need a new solenoid or is there something else I need to check first

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Herbie and welcome to the forum.

There is a well-known issue with the Bonny efi's (like yours) that if the battery standing voltage is less than - from memory - 12.5volts, the ECU will not excite the starter relay.

Two things to try:

1. Charge the new battery overnight;

2. Get yourself (if you haven't got one yet) an intelligent battery charger, with cable and connector installed on the bike, so that when you've finished for the day with the Bonny you can plug in your intelli-charger. This way you'll have no future starter problems.

Incidentally, all Bonnys since 2008 have EFi, not carbs. They have faux carbs, just for the look.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Have a look here or here
    They might help or not!

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just remembered something else. At one time Triumph dealers were offering a different 'tune' to cure this. I believe it was called the "City Tune" and from what I can make out, was a reflash of the ECU to lower the threshold of this voltage lock-out.

This allowed you to start an EFi bike with a battery that wasn't 100% fully charged. Don't know if it's still available though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I can vouch for the fact that the batteries need to be fully charged on these bikes - I recently left the ignition switched on accidentally for a short time and the bike would not then start. The voltage showing with a test metre was just 12 volts. When attached to the charger it only showed 75% charged, so regular riding or intermittent charging is the only answer.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Esme

Esme New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Maui
    Have you solved your issue? I believe I am having the same problem. Please let me know what you did to fix it.

7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard Herbie. Like others have said I'd certainly keep the battery hooked to an intelligent charger when not in use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I reckon he's not that impressed with this forum and the advice given - just the one message two years ago... :cool::p

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Ha! Esme resurrecting old dead batteries :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    There's a lot to said for kick starts.;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Esme

Esme New Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Maui
    You know that was the first thing I asked when I bought my bike. "Is there a kick start?"

Now I'm wondering if you can install an after market kick start..

• Funny Funny x 2