Bonneville - More Power?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Mr Toad, Jan 24, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Stuff I’ve had has been fine and good value

2. Allan StreetTwin

Allan StreetTwin New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Wiltshire
    will be interested to know what your friend finds out. of course the only way forward is for some riders to take a gamble and report honestly about the experience.

3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Not yet. Hagon haven't got one for the modern classics as yet. There's always Fox which Triumph market as upgrade accessories. I'm not sure if anyone else does.

4. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    I’ve got Hagon Nitros on my T120 springs tailored to my (considerable) weight and I find the excellent

5. Allan StreetTwin

Allan StreetTwin New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Wiltshire
    Crazy price for Fox shocks. Think they are £650. Was led to believe Hagons 2810 would fit Street Twin @ £200 but maybe not.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I've got Ikons on my Bonnie SE. Def worth upgrading to Hagons if they'll fit the Street. I've put some Ohlins from a Thruxton R on my Street Twin. It took some fettling to get 'em to fit (not by me I might add) cos the angles are different. Now need to get a side stand extension so I can lift the bike off the stand to ride the bugger.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Speak to Dave at Hagon very helpful

8. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Just to go on from this we got one of the dealer tech diagnostic kits which is very impressive and does everything the dealers own kit does with factory updates naturally being the only exception. One thing it did show was that the X pipe and other mods have not upset anything including thankfully the throttle balance as this is a real t**t of a job to do !

• Like Like x 2
  9. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Just to update I’ve had a proper run out today and these mods have transformed the bike
    My youngun (ex Triumph tech) had a go up the road and was amazed at the difference describing it as more like the Thruxton now so well pleased
    I bet the Thruxtons would benefit proportionately as well
    Highly recommended

• Like Like x 3
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Finally got the Thruxton R Ohlins put on my Street Twin and had the first proper ride on it today. Even at the softest setting you notice a huge difference over stock. A bit like the Ikons vs stock on my Bonnie SE, but much more so. The first time I rode at speed over a pot hole the shock wave through my arthritic back was like 'Feck me!' but the stability through corners at speed is definitely improved. Just a pity the bike maxes out out at 90-ish mph. So definitely going to look in to TEC's camshaft tweak.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Oh, I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the head's up. We've got a trade account with the firm that was making those cams for TEC. I guess we can talk to them to get the low-down gen.

• Like Like x 1
  12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Tec we’re saying the manufacture of the cams were absolute cr&p so decided to give up on the idea so if you hear different from them it’ll be goood to know what they say

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    That's interesting.

14. Interesting video and comments, particularly from Wessa, Dead eye Dick and Yorkshireman. I shall remind all that suspension and front brakes are compatible with the motor. Should you mod it to be get more performance, you would need to invest in suspension, breaks and Tyres as well (at least) - and breaks could not be simpler to change, in order to really profit from it ( to be usable) unless you just want to drag race, cause as important as accelerating and speeding it is to break, stop and turn sharply with the right rigidity and drag on tyres. The T120 as said by some will give better performance, and breaks for straight line additional adrenaline and safer overcome, but it will not take you to the canyons safely likewise due to its weight, suspension and overall ride ability (including types) limitations. So it is not only a marketing strategy, a proper technical/ proper decision as well. OK, 10% more torque without reving towards much additional power would be nice and probably compatible with their aftermarket suspension and sportier tyres......So, verdict it is a proper technical decision, but then marketing to leave the T120 yet appealing on the torque , break, gearbox and price gap than otherwise with 10% or so higher torque on the 900 (not to mention the need for a 6-gear gearbox much likely, i.e. price tag also closer to the T120), so that Triumph would not be shamed to be calling it High Torque. I reckon "Higher Torque" ( in regards to the previous Bonne T100 range /motor would had been as appealing and honest name", BUT if we observe other makers, Roya Enfield calls "bullet" a bike that is more like a canon ball, HD calls their ware cooled motor range "Revolution" and "Revolution X" : it makes laugh louder; more comedy at (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson_engine_timeline). I suppose marketing naming is often times really silly in the auto and motorcycle industry. It gets worse when Japanese with less than proficiency in the English language create sentences like "the power to move you". Power is a measurement of displacement in time, whereas what moves you is the torque. Power is a consequence of the torque, the revolutions of the motor and the transmissions + back sprocket ( if chain or belt). From all the T120 features, what I really would love to have in the Twin is the fuel tank , it would make it better to ride (sensation wider leg separation), comfier with 30 miles or so upper range and possibly cheaper (being common to the whole Bonne range simplifying and lowering supply chain costs). But I trust there is a technical reason for not being so. Cheers, sorry too long, I will be more concise next time. Cheers, ride smart, safety is a consequence!

• Like Like x 3
  15. John T

John T Senior Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Well all I can say as briefly as possible is it now goes like shit off a shovel and I’m well happy

• Like Like x 5
  16. Suppose you refer to the mods made on your T120 posted in this thread. Yes, what you spent for performance alone for incremental torque and power shall have given you an extra humf, but that was also to make your Remus bad ass pipes to give their best, was´t it ? I mean your mods are sensible, specially at prices you get in the UK, but messing with the motor for more than incremental torque and power is beyond me on these bikes....But they are made to be customized, so when cash is not an issue and your hobby is to make the bike your dream bike, sky is the limit

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Not had a chance yet. On my long list of things to do.

• Like Like x 1