Bonneville Loss Of Power

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by ceesam, Jun 26, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ceesam

ceesam New Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Larbert
    Hi All

I have a 2005 carb Bonneville T100 and I'm noticing when I'm demanding low fuel that I get the occasional miss. If I'm cruising with the throttle on low and when I'm in a low gear with low revs the bike will chug momentarily.

I suspect this may be a fueling issues e.g. dirty fuel or the fuel filter needs cleaned but i was wondering if anyone can recommend what to look at first?

Cheers

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    From memory, on my old T100 there was a hidden filter between the carbs in the fuel feed line. I took this extract from The New Bonneville Riders website as it explains it quite well.
    "Not sure on the T100s (yes) but on the America and Speedmaster (I imagine this holds true for T100) - yes - there is a hidden filter between the carbs that can cause problems. Follow the fuel line from the gas tank to where it hooks to a T between the carbs. Pull the line off there and in that T should be a small filter. Clean that or even better get rid of it and put one inline.

Also try leaving your gas cap loose and take a ride to be sure your tank is venting properly. If leaving the cap loose helps look at the venting system.

You should also check your float level get a small piece of clear tube that fits the drain nipple on the bottom of the cab bowl, with the bike sitting up level (like on a bike jack) hold that clear tube up along side the carb and open the drain. The tube will fill to the level that is in the bowl. It should be just about at the seam where the bowl meets the cab body."

• Useful Useful x 3
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    There is indeed at the T piece.

AA0D6DCE-643D-4296-AE1A-0310F028C893-27407-000012CDDFB4A980.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. ceesam

ceesam New Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Larbert
    Thanks guys. Great help. Is the filter the small white plastic rod in the photo?

5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I had similar issues on my 2005 T100 that turned out to be a failing coil. In the diagnostic process I discovered a teaspoon of fine brown rust 'sand' in each float bowl and a partially clogged inline filter. If you have not had them off, you might find it a worthwhile late spring clean along with a tank flush.

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Yup the small white rod. And my ignition coil only sputtered below 3,000 rpm which threw me for a while.

7. ceesam

ceesam New Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Larbert
    Sorry I should have let you all know how I got on. Turned out to be the coil. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

• Like Like x 3