Bonneville Is It Really Classic?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by tranx, Jun 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    #1 tranx, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    My last bike was a CBR400RR which was comfortable, exciting, and light. It also had adequate torque, and to me the best of the ordinary 'moderns'. Along with that I had just restored a 1939 Rudge Ulster which represented the best of the real 'classics' with the virtue of real torque, being capable of 'ponk-ponk' when asked.

Next came a 2019 Street Triple, which was uncomfortable and for its purpose was unusable on the road, and then Bonneville T100.

When 20, 30, and 40mph are the norm, with the occasional excursions into the realms of 70, the T100 has indeed satisfied the need for ponk - lovely.

- But why does T100's seat have to be uncomfortable after only 30 minutes? especially when the Honda and the Ulster were so comfy.

- And why does T100 have to be so heavy in spite of having a plastic front mudguard and plastic 'toolboxes'?

Not sure how much the Ulster weighed, but even with girder forks it seemed much lighter and:-
    1937 Speed Twin was said to be 315lbs,
    1959 T100 weighed 386lb,
    1988 Honda CBR 400RR 350lbs.

- so why should the 2019 T100 have to weigh 469lbs ('dry' and without a centre stand)? and maybe its really as much as 550lbs!

b.t.w. don't bother with the 'longhaul screen' because it is too low to have any useful effect, and the front mudguard is much too short, so everything on the road goes straight onto the radiator.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    Thanks Dozer, and of course you are right.

However two new bikes in two months might be a bit excessive so have ordered a Triumph front mudguard extender, a Madstad screen from USA, and am adapting a seat to take one from a CBR400RR, for now.

When rolling the T100 is indeed perfect but when getting it out, and at low speed as well, I am trying to think ahead simply to prevent it falling over when coming suddenly to a hault etc...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    Hi tranx, I have to agree with u on the weight issue. Carrying “excess” weight shows up any shortcomings in the suspension and braking department. ( which Bonnies seem to have). I’ve said it before on the forum but For Triumph to sell a new bike and then offer a “comfort seat” as an optional extra (at a big cost!) is a total piss take. Who the f*ck doesn’t want a comfortable seat? :confused:
    I rode a B*W GS 1150 all over Europe several times and I have admit the seat on that was like a breeze block after awhile. So my advise, get an air hawk, (pile cushion as my mates would say : unamused:). They offer excellent all day comfort. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I rode long distance all over Europe on an R100RS and only found it uncomfortable after a 500+ mile day.

However, in those days my buns were oven fresh! I think our saddle tolerance decays with age just like seat foam......

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I’ve got used to my ‘cast wheel’ Bonneville seat and no not because it’s not my only bike. After a while it can still grow on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum :cool:
    I had a 2004 T100 and the seat was a killer after two hours (very uncomfortable trip to Germany therefore!)
    I now have the later 865 SE, which is lower (17" front wheel) and has a more sculpted (and consequently lower height) seat than the T100 and I found this gave a slightly cramped riding position but still more comfortable than the original T100 seat.

I have since swapped it for a T100 seat, which is thicker by around 20mm and it's now a much more comfortable ride.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    softy!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Nothing was soft about that bloody seat mate!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    You needed a ‘comfort arse’ like the big lad!! :rolleyes::kissing:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Brave words! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve never found any bike seat comfortable for more than about an hours riding. I think I must just have a bony bum :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tranx

tranx New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Yorks
    Good points about requirements for a bike to be 'a classic'. However the Bonnevilles are nearly good enough to be 'classic' bikes, in the sense of being outstanding examples of their kind:idea:for example that might be the kind of bike for enjoying the ride and the passing scenery without distraction. Since the screen can be fixed, and the seat as you say, the handling and most other characteristics could mean that the T100 just about makes it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Ahem - not sure where that came from Eric, never found my T100 overly comfy personally.

On the more general subject is the Bonny really Classic? I'm not so sure; I mean I really enjoyed mine but when you look at the power and weight of the originals versus the Hinkley bikes the new ones don't seem quite so clever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I find the new Bonnie kind of "porky". Liquid cooled, fuel injected engine adds weight. Also too many electronic "rider assistance". Hell , if you can't ride without electronic assistance, maybe you need a tricycle. Little wonder they are heavy. I'll keep my old stuff. . ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Don’t know what you mean :blush::heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Paul Mac

Paul Mac Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Durham
    I'm not sure if the modern Bonneville is a classic , even the air cooled models . More retro than classic . Weight wise , you have to ask why are they heavier ? Possibly all the modern safety and emissions .
    Standard parts are seriously heavy aswell , replace the exhausts and mudguards and I think you could save 10kg straight away . Personally I don't find them that heavy due to the diminutive size making them easy to paddle around , and from riding the likes of Z13's and cbx1000,s in the old days

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It’s a retro era,Kawasaki did it with the w800, Fiat did it with the 500, bmw with the Mini and Vw with the beetle. Now will any of those be classed as classic in time to come? Who knows. I’d say you can’t have a copy of a lookalike but look, early 70s Toyotas were copies of some American muscle cars and they are classics in their own right...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Everyone will have a different opinion on what makes s ' classic' bike.
    My experience of the standard t100 seat was that it was a triumph of form over function...looked good, felt crap.
    If you want a comfy air cooled 865/790 I'd recommend the Bonneville America... preferably the earlier models....a bit American in style but they're surprisingly practical and quite good tourers too. I'd like another one please

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Paul Mac

Paul Mac Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Durham
    I think that's a fair analysis of the differences :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I really like that Jez it’s well presented without being ott.

• Agree Agree x 1