Bluetooth Woes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by David Downes, Feb 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?
  1. I have it, I love it

12.2%
  2. I have it, I hate it

26.8%
  3. I want it

17.1%
  4. I don't want it

43.9%
  1. Mathieu P

Mathieu P New Member

Mar 30, 2021
    Lyon, France
    Hi everyone,

I read the all thread, and I've to admit I'm kind of disappointed by Triumph.
    They have such a premium image that I couldn't have imagined encountering so much trouble with Bluetooth Module...

But after many, many, MANY readings all over the internet, I finally manage to made mine works properly !
    So far I managed to make the GPS and Music worked, I haven't tested yet the Phone Call functionality, but I don't see why it won't work now that GPS and Music are working.

I own a Street Triple RS 2020 receive in September 2020.
    But my Bluetooth only works until 23rd March 2021 after my local dealer finally get the last update for the bike, what a journey !

I also own a Sena SF4-01 intercom with firmware v1.1.4.

So I reach out Sena Support which made me do a lot of useless manipulation, but get me on the right path to make it work.

Finally, I decided to roll back the firmware version of my intercom to the version 1.1.0 that I could find on the Sena website.
    To ensure a full reset I also did a "Factory reset", then did the "Delete all pairings" from the configuration settings (check out the link picture).

Then go to your bike, intercom should be off, phone should have Bluetooth off.
    In the Bluetooth Menu, go to Devices, then select Unpair Device, finally select Forgot All
    Next : Unpair the bike from your phone (we will do the pairing again)
    At this point, you should have your intercom to a factory status, your bike with no pairing devices.

Now we will do the pairing in the order that made everything works for me.
    1. Turn on the bike
    2. Turn on the intercom and do the Phone Pairing (Not Intercom Pairing) as following :
      1. Push Center button for 10 seconds to enter "Configuration Settings"
        (At 5 seconds you will hear "Intercom Pairing", but hold still 5 more seconds)
      2. Push "+" button to select "Phone pairing"
    3. On your bike screen : go to the Search submenu of the Bluetooth menu
    4. You should see your Sena SF4 v1.1.0
    5. Select it
    6. You should hear "Headset Connected" or something like that
    7. Wait for the pairing to quit after a short delay (maximum 10 seconds)
    8. On your Phone : enable your Bluetooth connection
    9. On your bike screen : go to the Search submenu of the Bluetooth menu
    10. You should see your phone name
    11. Select it
    12. Normally it will ask you for authorizations : accept all, especially media and phone (I don't know for iOS how it works)
    13. Now you should have your intercom and your phone connected both the bike, but not one with each other directly (which is important).
    14. On your bike, Push the Home Button to get back to the main screen
    15. Navigate to Music
    16. Play music with your favorite player, as for me, it's Spotify, you should see your song timestamp displayed.
    17. Do you hear music in your helmet ? I wasn't...
    18. Turn the bike off.
    19. Wait 10 seconds for battery refill
    20. Turn the bike on
    21. Wait for it...
    22. My phone instantly connect the bike, my intercom also connect right after, I could hear a bip to confirm it.
    23. I start music once again and "Hurray !!!"
    24. The music is cast inside my intercom and the command Play/Pause Previous/Next works !
    I hope that will help some of you :)
    Don't hesitate to ask to get precision on what I did at some point !

If you have any trouble with menu navigation, I should recommend to watch Triumph US tutorial

I invite you to check out you own access to your Phone Pairing of your intercom ;)

headset-configuration-sena-sf4.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark P

Mark P New Member

Apr 19, 2021
    Uk
    Had the Bluetooth module fitted to my Tiger 800 today. I have iPhone XSmax and Neotec2 fitted with the Sena kit. I have got most things working so far but the Nav spoken instructions only come through if I am playing music, and I don’t seem to be able to alter the volume although I can do track back / forwards and play pause. Not worked out yet if that’s all it can do or if I need to unpair and repair everything. I have read this thread and it does seem that with some headsets the volume just doesn’t work which does seem one of the more obvious functions that you would expect.
    I am running the latest software versions on both phone and headset.

3. Emmanuel

Emmanuel New Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Chile
    I wanted to add that on the Sena 10U you have two options (I guess is the same for the SF4)
    • Downgrade the firmware to v1.3.2 to get things working or...
    • Stay on latest firmware but disable "Audio Multitasking".
    The latest option allows you to listen music on the intercom but with the loss of volume control (I use the remote for volume, so no big deal for me).

Mathew, does the volume control works for you on the downgraded firmware?

I hope Sena manage to fix whatever it broke on their latest firmwares.

4. Hammond

Hammond New Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Kent
    Hi,
    Am I right in thinking you need specific headsets for the audio to work?
    I've got a cheap pair of Bluetooth earbuds with mic built in. Assuming these wouldn't work?

5. Mathieu P

Mathieu P New Member

Mar 30, 2021
    Lyon, France
    Hello, I finally manage to get the firmware at its latest version which v1.1.4, with major features working.

But volume control works and on and off, it depends on whats order I connect the phone and the headset to the bike.
    I even manage to have a phone call going through the bike and accepting the incoming call by the bike.

So, so far I stopped trying to understand how it works, I hope that Triumph UK will do further updates that I will get on yearly maintenance.

And for the record, I also managed to connect my girlfriend's headset to the bike, so we can share music and manage volume independently via the intercom buttons, but we're not able to have an intercom conversation tho :(

Ride safe :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mathieu P

Mathieu P New Member

Mar 30, 2021
    Lyon, France
    Actually it could work, but there is no guarantee that it will !
    There is an official list of supported phones and headset and I've neither of those supported devices :)

7. Rob Skinn

Rob Skinn New Member

Nov 16, 2021
    United Kingdom
    #107 Rob Skinn, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    This may help some people to get seamless music connectivity working.
    I have my connectivity working for music and volume after a little trial and error. The trick is to pair your headphones/earbuds or whatever you use, to the bike and not the phone as the latter will give you limited functionality and no volume. So, unpair your headphones from the smartphone and connect them to the bike Bluetooth instead - there is more than one slot for Bluetooth devices. By connecting headphones directly to smartphones and then smartphones to the bike confuses the system as it's trying to perform the same task on two devices simultaneously. Hope it helps?

8. Rob Skinn

Rob Skinn New Member

Nov 16, 2021
    United Kingdom
    You are correct in saying that GPS devices drain the battery when running but in this case, the issue is with the app.

I have used GPS tracking apps for years (since iPhone 3) and when developed correctly they use GPS when actually performing a GPS task, i.e actively using the GPS functionality to track and give directions monitor exercises or whatever the task is. This will obviously drain power when in use as with all GPS devices, but the Triumph app has the GPS tracking feature switched on permanently, even when the user is not using the sat nav or any tracking functionality...this is why so many users say they have to terminate the app to stop it from draining power. Unfortunately, until Triumph fixes this, it is almost unusable as it will continually drain the battery as if you have been using the sat-nav continuously... even when in your house and the motorcycle is parked up.

9. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there,
    You can turn it off in the location settings. Pic below:
    I have mine set to when using the app.

8F3C74CA-6F97-4680-88EC-B23C60EBCDA7.png

10. Rob Skinn

Rob Skinn New Member

Nov 16, 2021
    United Kingdom
    #110 Rob Skinn, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Thank you – that is how I have mine set.

I have my location settings show me whether any GPS is currently active as you can see in this screenshot on the top left of my iPhone (blue) showing the GPS status.

location.jpg
    When I track an activity using any exercise tracker it will track the activity only once it has been activated i.e I'm running. It will continue to track the activity regardless of whether the app is open or not until I stop the activity. When, for example, I've finished my run and stopped the activity, GPS will become inactive, even if the app is open.

With the Triumph app, it tracks continuously regardless of using the sat nav. 'While using the App' is a generalised term that can be interpreted by developers however they wish. In the case of Triumph, it is due to a poorly developed app. It wouldn't take a lot to fix, but they must have their priorities elsewhere at the moment.

If interested, you can find more about location notifications on the apple website; https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207354

The issue is probably more prevalent on recent smartphones that can continually run multiple apps as a 'background task' when not actually open. Unfortunately, GPS background tasks trump many other tasks and so will continue to run unless the smartphone is under serious strain from a game or something that requires all the available RAM. This means that unless the app in question gets terminated automatically it will continue to run until it is manually terminated or the smartphone turned off. Either way, it's a concern for not only battery life but battery longevity.

Screenshot 2021-11-16 at 12.56.43.png

11. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there,
    On my phone it’s (triumph app) not been tracking me as it’s not got an arrow beside it to say that it has been doing that.
    Other gps apps have been though as I allow them too. You can see the arrows on those ones.
    I’m on the beta s/w so maybe that’s it?

CEBDB7CC-834A-4F97-8301-B8C488C1EDC9.png

12. Rob Skinn

Rob Skinn New Member

Nov 16, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Is that a beta version of the Triumph app and how do you become a beta tester?

If that is the case then it shows that Triumph is actively fixing the issue, which would be great news for all.

13. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I deleted it and reinstalled it on Saturday as that’s what the triumph dealer said to do. However, it did update to a newer version automatically a couple of weeks ago though.

14. Rob Skinn

Rob Skinn New Member

Nov 16, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Oh, that's a shame. I'm on that latest version updated for iOS 15.

15. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Thats what I have. Thats what it updated to.

16. Rob Skinn

Rob Skinn New Member

Nov 16, 2021
    United Kingdom
    Yes, the same version but unfortunately GPS is still permanently active for me.

17. Robert M. Münch

Robert M. Münch New Member

May 28, 2021
    Switzerland
    I bought two Schuberth C5 with the intercom module SC2 and will try the config limbo in the next few days.

Is there any intercom quality difference when running through the BT module of the bike in comparison to when the helmets are connected directly?

18. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Nearly 4 years on from bluetooth woes, which if I didn't say I ended up getting the module disabled and refunded as it was so bad. But every now and then I'd ask if there had been any firmware updates for it.

I asked again recently, and got told "Oh yeah, it's been totally overhauled", so I asked if they'd re-enable it to let me try it out, if I get on with it, I'll pay the money again, if not, they can either leave it on, or disable, I don't care.

This morning they turned it back on for me, and I've spent about 15 minutes playing with it on the ride home. Early indications are ... mixed, but overall positive.
    • Connections seem reliable
    • Nav directions were ... better ... one instance of it being a bit late/erroneous, but we'll forgive that for now, it was mostly fine
    • Music worked fine, volume a bit lower than direct connection phone -> headset, we'll see how that goes
    • I haven't tried calls yet
    • I can't use siri
    The last one is the big one to be honest. It's great to be able to pause or vol up/down music, and I guess it's handy to be able to see who's calling you before you answer ... but playing music, or making a call, for me those things require voice control. If I'm not already playing a playlist when I get on the bike, then I don't just want to start my music library of 1000s of tunes alphabetically. And if the person I need to speak to isn't on my most recent 7 call list, then your stuffed, you need to pull over.

So, the jury is still out 4 years on. But I thought I'd let you know that it at least works now, shocking that that's a big step up!

• Informative Informative x 1