Blade..mini Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Moe, Mar 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Was just at a mates, said difficult hot starts
    Cheers. Rode to a mates today and he noticed it didnt like to start up once hot. Reckons its shims that need checking..looks like a big job!

2. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    My first ride today of my new (to me) 1993 RRP

I recently bought the bike from a Fireblades forum member and since I bought it it’s been under a cover in the garage and I hate to say that I’ve barely even looked at it. However I taxed it from the 1 April, the weather cleared up today and I managed to get out for about 40 miles just to get some heat into the engine and warm everything up. (The side stand puck is just because the tarmac in the car park was brand new, last thing I want was for the bike to be on its side after my bacon roll)

[​IMG]

A year ago I sold my 1994 Urban Tiger project which was an RRR ex track bike converted with Chinese bodywork into a homage to an Urban Tiger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So how does my new earlier bike compare with the 94

The 16” wheel does make it feel a little bit more nervous, I’ll leave it on because I want the bike original but I can understand why many do the 17” conversion (which my 94 had)
    Power feels about the same, gearbox is more clunky and this was a criticism of the early bikes.
    Suspension is softer than my 94 bike which I much prefer, it feels more compliant and as a result much more comfortable.
    The riding position is just the same, you’ve got to be fully committed to ride it properly, it feels hardcore and very rough around the edges compared with a modern bike, I love it!

However my ST still remains my default “go to” bike, it’s so good at everything.

• Like Like x 5
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I do like Fireblades :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Nice write up, mine has become my go to bike, loving the smooth power delivery.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    Keep it up lads. Loving the Blades.
    Still not got hold of one, however, the Bandit has just had new caliper seals front and rear so it may yet makeway for something Fireblade shaped. Just have to get it motd.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Do it now before the prices get too silly, they really are shooting up in value, Four years ago you could get a running project for less than a grand, no chance now, hounds are £2000, anything decent starts at £3500 and they need work. Good original early twin headlamp bikes and urban tigers are now £5000 plus.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
  8. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Hes got something on the way?!?

9. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    Nah, that was more like a cheers mate wink!:joy:

10. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Never ridden one, nor the R1 either......:(

11. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    You don’t know what you’re missing, I’m a bit old for them now but still love riding them, when you jump on it makes you feel like you’re going to do a lap of the TT

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    I dont agree regarding the bit old thing, I know a guy who is fast approaching 70 and was still riding his 05 R1 at 60 when he decided to go out and add an S1000XR to the stable.
    He sold his Bee-em a year or so back but has just purchased an older 1050 Tiger and I can tell you, he is faster than me on whatever he is riding and I don’t hang about when the mood takes me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    They certainly keep you young!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Afternoon All,
    Hope everyone is enjoying the smidgin of sun we've been gettig down here (essex)

Took the blade out for a short spin yestersay and noticed a small drop of coolant on the floor...now I know this means I need a new water pump (doesn't look like the leak is from the drain bolt but the drip hole at the back) as I couldn't find the seals and even the haynes manual says to buy a new one.

Can any of you blade enthusiasts find one that doesn't cost the earth?? Also doesn't look like they make them anymore from Honda.

Its a lovely bike and I want to keep riding it, but can't with this problem.

Thanks in advance

15. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Actually on second looks like it is from the nut or hose _IMG_000000_000000.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    They all leak, you just need to keep an eye on the clips and hoses

17. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Fingers crossed its not the pump itself. Will be in the shop in a couple of weeks, have a good look and tighten up

18. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
  19. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Thanks, I'll try give dobles a ring tomorrow