Biting The Bullet Around Phones.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by joe mc donald, Jun 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Peeps After many discussions with my better half. I have decided to give in and carry a phone so she can check up on my whereabouts for no other reason other than she will know if I have made it to my location. Plus I can access maps as the tom tom has let me down. What I need is your assistance with is. I need something with a big screen and easy to use and understand. Would also like to get it to mate with one of those helmet ear pieces so all recommended suggestions are welcome. Please bear in mind I have never had a phone. I am as thick as a plank and give up easily. So I need more meds and assistance.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    If you’ve no idea then look on ‘which’ magazine as it’s not just about ‘the phone’ but also the type of ‘user’ you will be and will help you choose a simple phone or complicated one.

• Like Like x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Tigcraft.
    Thanks for that I will have a good read up on that later.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Samsung make good phones whether your looking at the most recent super duper, unlikely, or a tried and tested last few years model.
    I have a 7 edge and it does everything I need. Don't go too big as you may not then carry it when wearing certain clothes i. e. Small pockets.
    Go somewhere like Car phone Warehouse and handle a few to see what stands out to you ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Don't do it!
    Don't get sucked in.
    Unfortunately I have to have one for work, hate it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Samsung all the way. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Very happy with my Huawei P20 Pro. Easy to use, great camera and screen and Android based........just be aware the Chinese are listening :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

I've had my Samsung S5 going on six years, and it's used, abused and still going strong, I even got a genuine leather Triumph case for five quid in the World of Triumph sale.

s-l640.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Woh peeps thanks for all that info. Now I am more confused than before. I will trawl through some of these suggestions hopefully something will grab my fancy. Really all I want is something to use instead of tom tom and maybe take some pictures. Talk to the better half.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    SmilinJack.
    Thanks looks to be well recommended so will have a look.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thanks everyone very greatfull for the help. Think it will be Samsung. Do they have one with a big screen. Also I need to know what is sim free mean. I know I could ask the better half but I don't want her to know I am really as stupid as I look.
    Kind regards.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad.
    Thanks for that. I knew I could count on you to help me out discretely. Fantastic. As Littleade said I think I will buy a phone and go from there.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Joe as DD said with sim only you decide who your supplier is. Examples of sim are Vodaphone, O2, EE etc. So for example say the better provider of signal in your area was vodaphone then you'd put a vodaphone sim card in (plastic chip card about the size of a postage stamp).
    If you went on holiday say the IOM then you'd just switch out the one card for a card from a local supplier with cheaper minutes etc.

• Like Like x 2
  15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Have a look at Nokia phones. Trying to get back into the phone game, after disappearing for a while. You get a really good spec handset for less than the price of Samsung and Sony, who seem to be the big players now.
    All of us in the family have them, and no problems to report. Wife and daughter have Nokia 6.1 and I have an 8.

Go look in carphone warehouse, then come home and either buy on line or over the phone, usually better deals. My mate works for them, and sent me home to buy, on a couple of occasions.

Who do you have broadband with? Often get good linked deals. I get 30gb of data from EE by getting mobiles and broadband from then.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #16 Eldon, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    @MrOrange sorry can't agree with your suggestion of a Nokia unit after my last one around 2008. The signal on that was useless and it was only 3 weeks old. I came back, from Newton Stewart funny enough, and it couldn't get a signal for 50 miles. I ended up using my mates phone; yes you guessed, it was a Samsung.
    I took my Nokia straight back that week but because it was outside the return period they wouldn't swap it. Instead it had to be sent away for repair. When I went to pick it up they told me there was nothing wrong with it. I refused to accept its return and would only do so after speaking to the repairer!!!!
    The repairer declared that although it wasn't faulty the reception on this phone had caused issues.
    I then told the shop assistant to provide me an alternative handset; he refused.
    I demanded to speak to the Area Manager; he refused.
    I told him I was cancelling the remaining 23 months for breach of contract on their behalf i.e. failure to provide equipment fit for purpose.
    Forty minutes in the shop just wasting time before he would allow me to speak to the Area Manager.
    Finally a sensible person to talk to.
    I explained the situation and he said I don't see a problem exchanging the handset in these circumstances: put the Sales Assistant back on.

10 minutes later I was on my way with a Sony handset (there was only Nokia and Sony handsets on that contract offer. Me being a previous satisfied Nokia fan had stuck with the brand; big mistake).

I'm not surprised Nokia disappeared off the scene if this was the best they could do. Maybe they have improved now as I am talking about 10 years or so ago but they have lost my confidence.

Stick with Samsung Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

2008 ???? That is ancient history in tech. The new handsets are totally different. Plus back in the day, Nokia were THE brand to have.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Does that make the process and lesson invalid @MrOrange ?

A lot of us went to school a long time ago but we still use what we learnt then.

And yes I agree, NOKIA were THE name at one time, not any more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Thanks again people. Yes I need one that will work properly. What I like about my wife's phone is it shows you pictures on the screen and you choose that way. I don't know if they are all like that. But believe me I have never used one and can't even switch the other half's one on. Think you are all right I really need to go somewhere and look at them. Why does things have to be so difficult or is it why do I have to be so stupid.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Please don't fall out over it peeps. Make me feel worse than I already do having to ask when I should have purchased a phone a long time ago.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1