Bit Jerky Between 2/3,000rpm 2015 T100

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jim 100, Jan 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim 100

Jim 100 Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Cheam, Surrey
    Hi All, my 2015 T100 that I promised myself that I wouldn't modify, I waited 7 months before I had to modify, has started being a bit jerky between 2000/3000rpm, after I fitted some Norman Hyde Togas, I have also removed all the AI system to eliminate the popping, is there an easy solution to this or is it a remap? as there are still a couple of jobs I want to do i.e. remove air box baffle, fit K&N filter, remove O2 sensors and fit a TTP breathe air box cover, should I wait until all jobs are completed, also what is the best tune for this set up, a rolling road or a TTP download, I would rather go to a rolling road as I don't own a laptop. Cheers

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jim 100

Jim 100 Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Cheam, Surrey
    So it would be best to wait until I've done all the mods, then send my ecu off, all I want it to be is smother

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    In order:

Gut the airbox remove snorkel.
    Then fit the Breathe later.

The OEM paper filter is pretty good unless you ride in heavy rain.

Then tune,

Finally filter. TTP sell one similar to a K & N but less restrictive.

If you are loaded do all in a oner!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jim 100

Jim 100 Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Cheam, Surrey
    Thank you Callumity, will do it all when I have the funds, has anyone done the TTP download tune themselves?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Does the 12 min reset apply?
    Start cold bike without throttle, leave running until fan kicks in or 12 minutes have passed, ECU reset, et voila.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I had beef jerky today :grinning:
    Gets smoother the more you chew it :p
    Hope this helps :joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I had to remap mine after fitting togas. Removed the Ai as well cos the popping and banging was scaring those of a nervous disposition. Left the original airbox and filter standard. Bike ran beautifully with that set up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Jim,

If you fitted Togas for their tone just be aware you have subtly changed the engine’s scavenging characteristics I.e. the partial vacuum pulses from each cylinder. This generally manifests itself off idle and at mid throttle. It now needs balancing on the inlet side to gain the full performance benefit but, irrespective, the fuelling will now need a nudge to enrichen the mixture and possibly with timing tweaks to match.

TTP are familiar with all the variations from stock that work...... no commission here! I suggest you drop them a line with your intentions. It will usefully boost mid range torque and overall tractability with minimal impact on mpg.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Jim 100

Jim 100 Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Cheam, Surrey

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Jim 100

Jim 100 Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Cheam, Surrey
    Yes I realised the Togas would change the engine characteristics, but naively thought the O2 lambas and ecu would sort things, not looking for out and out performance, just a nice smooth torque curve

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jim 100

Jim 100 Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Cheam, Surrey
    My 2015 T100 is air cooled, will a 12 min run reset mine??

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Dont know, someone else will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I tried that Jim. Unfortunately it didn't do anything to smooth my bike out.

I managed to download map 20505 from the tuneecu site and voila, perfect fuelling. I already had experience of using tuneecu on my previous bike. But I did have a bit of trouble getting tuneecu to connect to the Bonnie. Probably a bit of user error involved.

I'm pretty sure you will need your bike remapped. Either TTP option, your local triumph dealer or have a go at downloading tuneecu and doing it yourself. For option 3 you do need to have the confidence to give it a go.

It's worth persevering with as those togas just sound gorgeous.

Edit, sorry Jim just reread your initial post, forget option 3 then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Johnjo,

A possible cause for your difficulties connecting to the new bike, having tuneecu loaded with the wrong map ! I had similar issue when I first tried to connect to my 09 America ! Previous bike I used tuneecu on was a 2000 sprint ST ! So the program is looking for a different ecu ! To get round this initial searching error load a map into tuneecu for your bike/model/year before you connect laptop and bike together !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I dont understand how you can " load a map into tuneecu for your bike/model/year before you connect laptop and bike together "

17. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Thanks for that capt. IIRC the connection was okay between ecu and laptop as I could read the current map number installed. But I couldn't access all the screens properly, I.e. the test tables. I could download the new tune but couldn't get the tps to reset ( I think that's what it was called, the green light bit required at the final stage ). After several tries I gave up assuming the new map had uploaded and just rode the bike. The new map must have been installed as the tune number updated as well. Plus the bike ran as sweet as a nut too.

Perhaps " selecting the correct tune from tuneecu " is a more clearer choice of words.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yes it will. Do all your mods first then a TTP remap. Post the ECU to TTP and you'll be delighted with the results.

I had a 2010 T100 and did similar mods then a TTP remap - came out smooth and more midrange torque. Better on juice too !!

• Like Like x 2