Bike Won't Start , Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by IJH, Oct 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. IJH

IJH Member

Jun 18, 2018
    South Wales
    afternoon guys, came home from work earlier and having already decided to go for a ride tomorrow thought I'd go and check the bike over. Bike started up ok so I thought I'd let it run up to temp while I had a cuppa, anyway when I went to turn it off it died before I had chance to , turned the ignition off then on and only the neutral and management light came on . Sometimes it clicks when I press the starter and sometimes it's just dead also when I bump started it and rode it up the lane and back it died again as soon as I came to a standstill. Any advice greatly appreciated, thought it might be the battery after the temperature dropped in the night but I've never had anything just die on me like that from a flat battery before.

Cheers
    Ian

• Like Like x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Jump it from a car (engine off) and report back on the result......if you need to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I have to agree about jumping it, or charging the battery as a starting point. Batteries can go bad at any time and don't necessarily give you a warning. When you report back, a few details on the bike (e.g. model, year, battery age, do you keep it on a charger, what rpm does the motor 'die', etc.) would be good to help others walk you through the problem. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Its very likely to be the battery has died due to the sudden drop in temps happens to a lot this time of year, charge it and then check the voltage..if it doesn't hold at least 12v then it needs replacing, also worth checking that the charge circuit is working OK with a meter you should see around 13-14v with engine running.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hi Ian. I'd suggest that the indications are that the drop in ambient air temperature today has finally killed off an ailing battery. The crap they use for cell plates these days (some form of zinc alloy, I believe) makes the term "lead acid battery" almost meaningless and you tend to hear more and more reports of batteries just dying with little or no forewarning.

I'd think it's worth trying a boosted charge if you have a boost type charger as it does, occasionally, desulphate the cells and buy a little bit of time, but even then is usually a temporary measure and a precursor to more expense!!

Hope it is something simple, though.

Regards,

Adie

p.s. looks like Tricky Dicky and I were on the same page at the same time! :))

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. IJH

IJH Member

Jun 18, 2018
    South Wales
    Thanks guys, I will try what has been suggested. Bike is an 04 speed four, don't know how long the battery has been on it I only bought the bike in June this year. With regards to the rpm the bike dies at , it happens at idle speed.
    Thanks again
    Ian

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    At idle the alternator may not be putting our enough juice to maintain the voltage required to generate a spark from the coils. A healthy battery can maintain sparks for quite a long time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ian.
    I think the peeps have answered you question and I feel the same. Battery or rectifier not charging right. And do check the terminals that they are all clean and tight.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. IJH

IJH Member

Jun 18, 2018
    South Wales
    Thanks again for all your replies, I'll get a battery ordered I think and I'll report back when I know the outcome .

Cheers
    Ian

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. IJH

IJH Member

Jun 18, 2018
    South Wales
    Hi guys, fitted the new battery today and she fired up straight away, just need to get hold of a multimeter to check its charging ok now as my old one has given up the ghost .

Thanks again for all the advice
    Ian

• Like Like x 3
  11. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    My suggestion, 9 x out of 10 similar problems for me were due to a bad voltage regulator. I would always check that first to at least rule it out. A new battery (charged) will work for awhile, but if a bad VR, the problem will reoccur.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    #12 Yorkshireman, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Increase the revs slightly, up to about 3000, when you test the voltage. Expect about 13 to 14 volts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. IJH

IJH Member

Jun 18, 2018
    South Wales
    Quick update , got the bike out today , went to put some fuel in it as it was low and it wouldn't start again. So I had to bump start it on the forecourt and took it straight to my mates garage where he confirmed that it wasn't charging. New regulator/rect I think is my next move.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ljh
    Check for recalls on your model as Triumph had a lot of trouble with rectifiers.
    Ride Free
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  15. IJH

IJH Member

Jun 18, 2018
    South Wales
    Hi again guys, ordered and fitted a new reg/rec and got a chance to test it today with my mates tester, bad news is it still isn't charging. Before I order a new stator is there any way to check that it's faulty or not or is there anything else I should check as well ?
    Cheers
    Ian

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Tried this?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. IJH

IJH Member

Jun 18, 2018
    South Wales
    Thanks for the video callumity, I ask my mate to check it over .

Ian

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. IJH

IJH Member

Jun 18, 2018
    South Wales
    Hi again, problem still on going due to lack of time but I'm about to get a new stator , found two listed for my bike a esg932 and a g660 , does anyone know which one of these I need please ?
    Thanks again guys for your help so far .

Ian

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. IJH

IJH Member

Jun 18, 2018
    South Wales
    Fitted the new stator today and happy to report all is well , just under 13 volts at the battery ( engine off ) and well over 14 volts ( engine running) . So I ended up changing the battery, reg/rec and the stator, a costly problem but I learnt a lot from it .
    Thanks again for all your advice
    Ian

• Like Like x 4