Featured Bike Thief Caught

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Cooper, Sep 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    The only drawback of the 1911 over most other modern handguns are that they are heavier and at most carry ten rounds with an extended magazine. Berettas and Glocks carry much more, but I always say quality over quantity. A well placed .45 hits like a dump truck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Hmm, so if you discovered me trying to steal your bike you would presumably reveal your previously concealed gun in the hope of deterring me (which I reckon would be pretty effective). Do you then have to shoot me or risk "being in trouble for brandishing a firearm"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Hey Ron
    Now you are teaching us a thing or two.
    Regards
    Joe.

4. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’ll agree with Ron’s post 100%. A fleeing thief is no longer considered a threat in the eyes of the courts. If you take them down in this case you would most likely be charged as the aggressor at that point. Also, if you find yourself in a situation where you fear for the safety of you or your loved ones, empty the magazine. Don’t stop till the job is done. One or two well placed shots are grounds for someone to accuse you of having too much opportunity. Screwed up, but that is how previous cases have gone.
    On a side note, it’s a magazine, not a clip. A clip is something your wife holds her hair back with. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ostekuste.
    Got to disagree there. The magazine is something your wife reads while someone is putting the clip in her hair.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    This attitude Duck could put you in serious jeopardy with the law if the opportunity were to present itself as much as the majority may agree with your morals!

Think about it?

As Oste said, who is now the perpetrator and so who would be the victim?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Say clip in front of your CO and they might slap the taste out of your mouth
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    A decision hopefully most will never have to make, Ron. If you don’t understand the cost of your actions you need to rethink why you have a firearm for defense. Even defending the innocent or those you serve with in the line of duty is a serious thing, and you have to be prepared for the results of those actions. It’s never a small thing to take a life, even in combat. I would never do so over a bike or any other material thing, only if those dear to me were in danger. Hey, at least it would be an excuse to get a new bike, right?!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Again, didn’t want to derail the thread. Us Yanks tend to have a reputation as a bloodthirsty lot, I just wanted to get a little info out on how some of the carry laws work here. I know it’s a different world than what you deal with in the Kingdom.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #30 Eldon, Oct 1, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    The right to defend yourselves and property in the UK is a very contentious subject and far from as clean cut as in USA. I dont suppose for one minute that anyone is going to disagree with that one?

Should it be contentious?
    Well it depends on circumstances but then that's where it all gets very grey.
    Presuming we are talking about legal firearms o_O then you as a licence holder have a responsibility to safely store these guns. The storage conditions again are quite ill defined (powers that be cant get it wrong this way : unamused:) but it is normally taken to mean they are locked in a secure cabinet.

Now;
    If someone got in your garage and you had the time to unlock your cabinet and approach the thief then wouldn't this be classed as a conscious and premeditated action?

The Tony Martin case is a noted example where the "attacker" was shot in the back.....uummm!
    If TM was defending himself then shouldn't the attacker have been shot in the front?
    :eek::confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Ron, a couple of pointers of evidence relating to this case.....
    • The person who died was exiting the property via window hence he had his back to the shooter.
    • TM had previously shot at a vehicles rear when people who had been stealing apples from his orchard were making their escape.
    • As a consequence of the vehicle being shot his section 2 shotgun licence was revoked.
    • The gun fired during the fatal shooting was a 5 shot shotgun making it a (restricted UK) section 1 licence (same as a bullet rifle despite being a shotgun).

As can be seen there was far more to the case than what a casual observer reading his daily newspaper became aware of.
    So, Duckadile let me ask the rhetorical question to all; who was the perpetrator in this case?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    He had also been targeted and burgled about a dozen times by the travelling community up to that point and, as I would be, was losing his shit : unamused:: unamused:

• Agree Agree x 8
  13. James597

James597 New Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Greece
    I had my bike stolen too. The little old lady told me she saw some men loading my bike into a van. Shame she didn't do anything at that moment...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Brighton
    Gun

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Brighton
    The number of wannabee Dirty Harrys on here is saddening. Sure, do whatever you can to protect your pride and joy but to talk like excited schoolkids about what weaponry you'd use in a hypothetical shootout is silly. Grow up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  16. OsteKuste

Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’m sorry, but some of us here are trained law enforcement and military. You know, the people you expect to keep your ass safe so you can have things like opinions and freedoms. That’s right. The people you call when someone threatens you and yours, and we gladly step between you and danger. You’re welcome.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Dunblane, March 1996.

I happily stand up to be counted as a 'liberal retard' if it helps prevent that ever happening again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #38 Eldon, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Dunblane and Hungerford were both tragedies where innocents lost their lives, or possibly worse still, survived and were scarred for life: that there is no debate.....
    However a lot of other innocent people who were totally unrelated to it were persecuted as a result.
    I have shot pistols in the past but it just wasnt my thing however I have known others that loved them.
    As we are on a biking forum and not a gun one how about this hypothetical scenario;

A motorcyclist decides to commit suicide and go out with a bang (excuse the pun). His chosen method is to get the latest and greatest 1000cc plus motorbike and ride into a shopping precinct intent on killing anyone and everyone in his path...... to which he succeeds!

The outcome a number of months later is that all legal motorcycles will now have a size limit of 125cc.

How would we all feel about this?

Note; the size limit is directly relevant as that is exactly what happened to pistols, free choice one minute, ONLY .22 rimfire the next ( a damp squib in comparison to any other calibre for those not in the know).

Even the Olympic team had to go abroad (or to Ireland) to practice!!!
    Go figure.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Brighton
    So?

20. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Brighton
    I'm in the UK. We manage perfectly ok without having to know the arcane details of open carry, concealed carry and whether a Glock 124 is better than a Beretta 246 for shooting a fleeing attacker. But let's leave Call of Duty now and get back to bikes eh?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 2