Bike Lift Bench The Joys Of Getting Old

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Havit, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Just of late i have been stuggling with bending down. I had a knee replacment around 12 years ago
    due to my hit and run accident ( see the A Real Love Story Thread) . It looks like it needs replacing again. Fixing my bikes has been a real drama. It takes me as long getting down on the ground as it does trying to get up again. Donna my partner text me yesterday and said can you get a van from work ? I have somthing for you. To my supprise she had brought me a Bike lift bench from a guy who no longer needed it. £250 quid. Its been the best gift ever. No more sod arsing around trying to get up and down. Why i never got one before I will never know. I am Rebuilding a 2001 Honda Silverwing 600 at the moment . Not my cup of tea, but as its twist and go, it will keep me on two wheels why I get over my new knee. Its only done 9000 miles but its been locked up in a garage for 9 years so it needs a fair bit of TLC. Corrosion being the biggest factor . But its getting there. The Lift has made the job much easier to do work on it. If you have room, get one. I honestly can say, Its the best thing ever. :):heart:

• Like Like x 13
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I wholeheartedly agree on the bike bench, I have had one for a few years now and the one problem I find with it is that everyone else wants to work on their bikes on my bench!!
    At the moment I have my Grandson's bike on it while he gets new tyres fitted, hopefully he will be here this weekend to refit the wheels. Next in the queue is my son who wants to fit a new chain and sprocket kit. Then maybe I will be able to use it again

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Would love to get one myself - left knee is definitely starting to creak!
    Just need a bigger garage :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    And for my engagement present I got one too from Sandra, like your Donna, Sandra is a proper lass!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    We have good ones Eric :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Can you just mention to your Donna that I could do with a bike lift too Wayne. ;):)

• Funny Funny x 7
  7. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    What a wonderful woman!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I have an ABBA Skylift which does a similar job in raising the bike to a comfortable height for servicing/cleaning etc. It's on castors so you can move the bike around when it's suspended and makes working on a 260kg machine easy!:). Only "problem" was I had to buy mine myself! :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #9 Eldon, Jul 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    A bike lift table....... why didn't I buy one years ago?

I bet you still bend down and bugger about before you suddenly think....... hang on, why don't I pump it up a metre/foot :joy::joy::joy:..... you'll get used to it ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Previous

20180216_181215.jpg

20181128_234834.jpg

20230526_213732.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I wonder if I can persuade my missus to get me one for Christmas? :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Another vote for the skylift here, especially if you're l;limited for space :)

20210313_113734.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I might consider one of those as space is limited but I like the idea of the bench as a workbase.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I have a Skylift as well. It is handy because I can use it in my garage and my shed. Did have a workbench, but took up too much room in my garage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Problem with other options than the bench idea is there is nowhere to put tools and components when you're stripping something down.

I also have a "jack in a box" style lift for my off road bikes and this is the first thing you notice when you start to work on anything.
    Like this but mine is without the wheels so you are not chasing it about.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13393845...LBPIw+/VwclxUcb5NlBaGlNg==|tkp:Bk9SR8TPyoKmYg

A bench does take up quite a bit of floorspace but mine has come in handy for other things than motorbikes. I've used mine for a mobile tiling (as in bathroom tiles) station right outside the front door and also as a joinery bench on occasions for a circular saw.
    Having the adjustable height is also a convenient way of picking bulky things up from floor level such as car gearboxes and engines.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Exactly what I meant :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I have one of these for the dirt bike which works fine for a 115Kg bike like the Husaberg but there's no way it would lift the Street Scrambler at nearly twice the weight.....
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261703332475?hash=item3ceebbf27b:g:e9YAAOSwRjRgwfSR&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwBJZB3ykCr+8sfuaxGGvSzfiSYVLhdTEuTc7Oi0flTqLQoax8fgRcG2d5pvMHjRg9RNu+5tGxKHe5bCMcTO4fKJ77yJ9xghAGdSWFHDowIgfK6D4uctCKhOSW2ige9+rMUAZDFD/qaJt9Og0IojB34nZqWtucz8j7Ns0pT36ViTd+V4BA/q0nLmBtFqbrVPFIXpKvNWU5NAmogkeR0E0sy3vQBPBxYBVVOi8yCIAtp7b9BiWaOFtVZAkA5smY1LLWA==|tkp:Bk9SR5a11qamYg

.....so I bought one identical to this....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235022002049?hash=item36b8672781:g:LMAAAOSwT8hig1fk&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwLP7JlmFbDDL8iwg9H1%2B%2BAq9wTBOfS2s1pj7SVJNp4YToMTgr5bUSSDm0xTZb9jYiUQQeVFlTmnyCept4rEVQm3mLoHs%2BkaOkJ3B908zZDfBLOpGDDso1timHjgM2O9%2BFAa0kWTOM8hns88miHCV%2BXQaDZQRKhdrQWF5pIIN8hMjWYmuoAvB3wrFVKZexs
    ZFU5wJvrLtB%2BdwN11ZPsuoeSZ9YjpGI5VqzcjhVTU9CZHLCP8m49kZNQSJjBs2F9a3cQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5a11qamYg
    .......but eventually the thread stripped, possibly due to me using an impact driver to raise it :joy:.
    I replaced the threaded mechanism with a small 1.5t bottle jack I had lying around. No problem lifting the Triumph now! :grinning:
    I use a couple of those magnetic tool trays for keeping tools, nuts and fasteners etc from disappearing into the ether when I'm working on the bikes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I had something similar a few years back - supposed to take twice the weight of the bike. Seemed OK the first few times I used it but then collapsed when I was raising the bike the next time - stripped the thread completely. No damage done but I wouldn't ever trust one again.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I have the 2nd link in your post and find it handy to use on the table/bench. Things like checking head bearings or cable routings are a doddle with the front tyre securely lifted a few inches off the deck.

• Like Like x 1
  20. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    I had a skylift for the ditchpump but sold it within a few months after in fell off it's one mounting bobbin whike I was jacking it up (yes I was careful I'd got the bobbins seated correctly so still not sure why it happened), luckily without causing any damage, but it wasn't fun trying to get it back upright again by myself as it keant against the skylift. I also found the casters a bit crap on my concrete garage floor (you really need a totally smooth surface) moving it into a tight spot wasn't easy either as it tries to crab due to the way it's designed and once up in the air the bike moves a bit when you're spannering it too. In the end personally I found 2 paddock stands far earier to use a d more secure when working on or cleaning it and my constands dolly better for moving it around. Fortunately someone off the ditchpump forum bought it so I didn't loose too much. But if it works for others.......

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1