Big Boys Toys.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by David Cooper, Dec 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Memory lane.... remember riding in a Champ in the Outer Hebrides in the late 60s and getting airborne.....

The Ferret is tiny inside with a huge wheel that would not look out of place on a ship. It leans back over your lap. The missing oddity in the pack is the Fox - pretty much a Ferret with a Scimitar turret and fitted with a Jag straight 6. It was horribly top heavy.

7E96DEB5-6718-4FF3-8377-9097518577F1.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Scimitar & Sparten, we used them for Bomb disposal, some nice pic's you have shown cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Rockape?!

Only the RAF would use a recce vehicle for a job needing a van!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    You should know they don't do things by halves what's the old saying
    Army dig in & RAF check in :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I remember (before we ever had a joint Staff college) a tri-Service session with about 400 mid ranking officers when Dr Death (the then RAF Bracknell Commandant named by his own for his rapier wit (Not)) demanding to know what we had learned about one another. He pointed at a Lt Cmdr RN.....
    “Well Sir, the Army and Navy are can-do organisations.” Lt Cmdr X then promptly sat down and 2/3 of the place erupted in laughter. The other third was a mix of outraged pilots (the two wing master race) and other branches biting their knuckles trying not to join in......

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don the Don

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Sounds about right, the idea about the armour was if a plane was down and armed and fuelled no one was going to be daft enough to approach it so put a few rounds into it

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    I've had 3 Ferrets - used to get snapped up in America - that was until Wako with David Coresh. When the FBI stormed his compound - they found Ferrets and Saracens as though he was building a private army. Hillary Clinton was on the arms and fruits federation ( not a joke) and she stopped import of such vehicles. This put some of my friends and colleagues out of business. I found a market in Kentucky- he owned 40 plus Ferrets.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    That was a discussion about IED disposal and the intelligence value of disarmed devices and fingerprints etc., v.speed and safety of a few cannon shells.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    They are indeed tax and mot exempt falling under classic. You can drive on standard license but if involved in accident - it must be mechanically sound. There are many insurers and in fact are cheaper to insure than most of today's cars. Check out milweb.net/classifieds

• Like Like x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton

operated plant all my life easy easy job never done a hard days work in my life

• Like Like x 3
  11. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    Sitting there you would be deaf quite soon

• Like Like x 1
  12. stollydriver

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    That sounds a grey area age and weight come into the criteria. One of the main areas is - who can mot a 14 tonne vehicle that falls out of perimeter of hgv. For example a 9 tonne 'operation bracelet' Humber Pig will be registered as a camper van. I used to be a vehicle verification officer for the Military Vehicle Trust liasing with the DVLA to check vehicles being registered privately. Good times....

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Most of.the time that is the case. But there were times I got in to things like cleaning boiler tubes, chiller tubes, cooling towers. Occasionally changing out some large motor on a pump or bearings on a air handler. Some sweating copper pipe and electrical work. Most of the time light stuff like pneumatic and DDC controls and electrical. Something different every day though. I carried a tool belt until I was 63 years old. Never wanted a management or desk job. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4
  14. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Goodness...how heavy ARE you exactly, it doesn't seem that big a stool! :laughing:

But well done for balancing that car on your head!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    As a kid in agricultural community in the 70's I used to attend tractor pull events, where farmers modified tractors to compete. I loved the v-12 Allison aircraft engines in a tractor.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Apperantly this isn't just in the USA

• Like Like x 4
  17. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks

Different classes determine how fast the sled transfers weight to the skid