Best tyres for 2012/13 Speed Triple?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Screwball, Mar 22, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gianfranco

Gianfranco Well-Known Member

May 14, 2017
    Italy
    I'm in love with the metz m7rr, perfect for me

• Like Like x 1
  2. Foxy

Foxy Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Sheffield
    Just bought my 2011 SIII and it has nearly new Pilot Road 3's fitted. I've been riding bikes continously since 1975, and never rode on Michelins. Judging by what people say about them on this thread, I'm looking forward to trying em.

3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Using Michelin Road Pilot 4 on my Speed Triple and their grip is fantastic
    My local roads have been frosted up in the mornings and even sheet ice at a junction - while using my legs as stabilisers at walking pace, I get very little grip with my boots but the tyres feel well planted.

As soon as I am on the roads that are salted (bus route) I am fine and put the stabilisers back on the pegs.

When mixed with the Brembo brakes and genuine Brembo pads, these tyres are a really good combination.
    Braking on the spot in heavy rain to avoid pedestrians walking out while on their phones and swinging accross a lane to avoid a car pulling out in front on me, I feel other tyres may not have fared so well

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've got Michelin Road Pilot 4's on my bike too and find them excellent in all conditions. Don't know about their wear characteristics as I haven't done enough distance on them, but the confidence they give is excellent.

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have done 6k on my Road Pilot 4 so far and there is only slight squaring off on the rear wheel, still has more than 50% of the tread left - the front has loads of tread left and even wear.
    My typical journey is 75% motorway commute otherwise wear would be more rounded/even
    I think these would last to 15k with considerate/gentle use - maybe 10k for normal spirited bike use

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Foxy

Foxy Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Sheffield
    I lied. Just checked and they're Road 4's.

7. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I did 6000 miles trip around Europe on a GSXR1000 K6 using Pilot Road 4s. We went through all sorts of weather and lots of mountain runs. The tire performed faultlessly. Just once I lost my front end but it caught a decent tarmac n straightened up. When I got back to UK the tire still had plenty of life left in them.

I would rate the Metzlers M7RRs too. I had them on the speed triple and serious pair of rubbers. I don't think you will get a lot of mileage out of them but the grip is phenomenal.

Currently put a pair of Pirellis Rosso IIIs on my Street Triple. I haven't had much seat time to comment on them.

The below picture is with Pilot Road 4s ;)
    20160517_134421.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. TonyC

TonyC Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Darlington
    I've tried Michelin Pilot Road 3 and 4 and I liked them. Plenty of grip wet and dry. Had a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 last time out on the rear, but only just managed 2700 miles on it and that was pushing it legally!. (Just over 3000 with the Michelin rears). I was going to replace both with Michelin Road 5's, but unfortunately the rear 55 profile wasn't available at the beginning of this month (maybe it is now?). So I went with Pirelli Angel GT instead and they're great. After a 90 mile scrub in the rear chicken strips (which I've always had to some extent on other tyres) are now a thing of the past. Just need to see how they last, but going by the feel I reckon I'll have them again.

• Like Like x 1
  9. anthony gothard

anthony gothard Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    Bridgestone battlax s21,s . by far the best tyre i have used. have them on my mt 10 for last year ( 2 sets ) so last week decided to put a set on the speed. amazing difference. feels like a different bike. bit on the pricey side but well worth it.. £257 fitted

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I've recently had a pair of Avon storm 3D XM's fitted to my Speedy and so far quite impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Just put my second set of Metzeler M7RR's on my Speed Triple 94R, so obviously happy with them.
    For comparison I managed 3k mls on the original Pirelli Super Corsa's and 6k mls on the first set of M7RR's.
    I think they're a good sport tyre profile with mileage closer to a sport touring tyre.
    What little wet riding I've done I would say they're a fair bit better than the SC's in the wet / cold.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I have Dunlop Sportmax RoadSmart II on my R, which are listed as a Sport/Touring tyre so assume they will last longer but not grip so well as others.
    When I need to replace I would like a more sporty tyre but one that lasts well too.

13. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I have Dunlop Sportmax RoadSmart II on my R, which are listed as a Sport/Touring tyre so assume they will last longer but not grip so well as others.
    When I need to replace I would like a more sporty tyre but one that lasts well too.

14. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    The RoadSmarts are a great alternative. They wear well, are great in the rain and offer enough grip for the occasional track day
    T

15. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Time for new tyres,the last 3 sets have been the Angel GTs which have been great and i've been getting almost 5k out of the rear which is pretty good, this year i'll be doing a bit more mileage and don't really want to have to buy 2 sets of tyres for the Triumph as i have to splash out on tyres for my harley every year too.
    so i'm looking for something that might give me even more mileage,whats folks verdict on the Michelin road 5s and what mileage are you getting out of them?